The all things EV chat thread

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you’re buying an EV car and have range concerns, why wouldn’t the buyer do some research?
I think expecting someone to do research to the point of checking out inverter types is pushing the limits of what you can expect from people. People will do research to a basic level but then expect the mfr to provide the rest in bite sized, easy to read chunks. Even for those reading car mags it tends not to get to small details such as this.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you're travelling on business in your company car, can you not claim your petrol costs back?

Correct. And the mileage rate on petrol hybrids is pretty good.

I think expecting someone to do research to the point of checking out inverter types is pushing the limits of what you can expect from people. People will do research to a basic level but then expect the mfr to provide the rest in bite sized, easy to read chunks. Even for those reading car mags it tends not to get to small details such as this.

Inverters on most hybrids are limited to 3.6kw or 7.2kw, the new Audi A3 hybrid got hammered in reviews for only having a 3.6kw inverter compared with others in the class having 7.2kw

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
The title is "would you own a ev". You don't have an valid opinion because you don't own one. Your arguments are not relevant to this thread. If the thread was "would you own a plug in hybrid" then that would be a different story.

You are throwing up issues that aren't relevant to "proper" ev owners. Your issues with the system are not reflective on owning a ev.

Yes the model suits me. But I am in a position to explain the benefits and draw backs. You are not
Well, that's me told! So should I start a separate thread on owning a hybrid, as you obviously think my input is not relevant? So my opinion doesn't count because I have an alternative viewpoint to yours? It may not be a full EV, but it is still a vehicle that takes an electric charge.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, that's me told! So should I start a separate thread on owning a hybrid, as you obviously think my input is not relevant?
Yes I think you should. I think you would have some good information that could help people decide on if it's the right move for them. You clearly do the miles to be in a good position to do that

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Yes I think you should. I think you would have some good information that could help people decide on if it's the right move for them. You clearly do the miles to be in a good position to do that
I think I will continue to give my input. Unless you have appointed yourself as this thread moderator and are vetting what is and isn't relevant. And, by the way, who are you to define what opinions are valid or not. They are OPINIONS!
I have taken my experience and extrapolated it to other instances. I'm entitled to do that. For me personally at the moment, an EV wouldn't work, but it would for my missus when she looks to change her car. I have an opinion based on what I have experienced, and I believe there are still holes in the infrastructure. Maybe not on main thoroughfares, but certainly in the more outreaching parts of the UK. That is my opinion based on personal observation. Just because it doesn't fit with yours does not make it irrelevant.

Last edited:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
There is definitely some must know info when going for a hybrid (plug in) over a full Evv
Interestingly, not a plug-in but I have a friend who has a Lexus RX full hybrid and because he hardly uses it now, he never travels enough to charge the batteries, so he's getting very low MPG on it. Not relevant to this thread, as I am sure somebody on here will point out, but I think it also shows the limitations of the full hybrid models.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I will continue to give my input. Unless you have appointed yourself as this thread moderator and are vetting what is and isn't relevant.
I have taken my experience and extrapolated it to other instances. I'm entitled to do that. For me personally at the moment, an EV wouldn't work, but it would for my missus when she looks to change her car. I have an opinion based on what I have experienced, and I believe there are still holes in the infrastructure. Maybe not on main thoroughfares, but certainly in the more outreaching parts of the UK. That is my opinion based on personal observation. Just because it doesn't fit with yours does not make it irrelevant.

Crack on then mate. For anyone else that wants a opinion on what it's actually like to own and run one then feel free to ask. If any of you want to know what it's like by someone who doesn't own one then ask the above. Can say it any clearer really ?‍♂️

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Crack on then mate. For anyone else that wants a opinion on what it's actually like to own and run one then feel free to ask. If any of you want to know what it's like by someone who doesn't own one then ask the above. Can say it any clearer really ?‍♂️
Don't be obtuse. I have NEVER tried to say to anyone what it is like to own and drive one. Please tell me where I have said/wrote that? All my comments are about the infrastructure, or how useless they are at the moment for pulling caravans. I have my opinion of the difficulty in finding charging points. If you're going to have sly digs, please make sure they're accurate.
As I said, you're not the moderator, so don't try to bully me out of having an opinion.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't be obtuse. I have NEVER tried to say to anyone what it is like to own and drive one. Please tell me where I have said/wrote that? All my comments are about the infrastructure, or how useless they are at the moment for pulling caravans. If you're going to have sly digs, please make sure they're accurate.
You are giving information on infrastructure that isn't relevant to ev owners, why can't you see that? You have a very good point about caravans I can't argue with that. But your whole argument about queuing at chargers, hotels only giving you one hour ect isn't valid because that's not how ev owners operate.
Let's put it simply...... Does anyone on this forum drive more than 270 miles a day? If the answer is no then everything roster said is irrelevant because you'll charge you car on return to home. For the 1%that do then you need to find a rapid charger network that is not a a service stantion. I use "instavolt".
After 18 months and 30, 000miles I can say imo rosters account on ev infrastructure is utter rubbish

Robster59

Tour Rookie
You are giving information on infrastructure that isn't relevant to ev owners, why can't you see that? You have a very good point about caravans I can't argue with that. But your whole argument about queuing at chargers, hotels only giving you one hour ect isn't valid because that's not how ev owners operate.
Let's put it simply...... Does anyone on this forum drive more than 270 miles a day? If the answer is no then everything robster is irrelevant because you'll charge you car on return to home. For the 1%that do then you need to find a rapid charger network that is not a a service stantion. I use "instavolt".
After 18 months and 30, 000miles I can say imo rosters account on ev infrastructure is utter rubbish
You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. I certainly don't call it "Rubbish" (aren't you defensive?). But there are people who do larger distances so my comments still stand. We obviously disagree. The only difference is, I don't decry your opinion, or resort to name calling. As I say, as my opinion doesn't match with yours, you are getting very aggressive with your comments. It won't change my opinion, or the facts they are based on. Enjoy your EV driving. I'm not getting involved in any more discussions with someone who doesn't respect other peoples opinions. See ya.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're entitled to your opinion, and I respect that. I certainly don't call it "Rubbish" (aren't you defensive?). But there are people who do larger distances so my comments still stand. We obviously disagree. The only difference is, I don't decry your opinion, or resort to name calling. As I say, as my opinion doesn't match with yours, you are getting very aggressive with your comments. It won't change my opinion, or the facts they are based on. Enjoy your EV driving. I'm not getting involved in any more discussions with someone who doesn't respect other peoples opinions. See ya.
I would respect you opinion if you had a ev. How can I respect the opinion of someone with no experience in said area. It like saying "I dont recommend that white wine, I haven't actually tried it but it smells horrible "

For people that do larger distances then you're covered. Having just completed a 660 mile round trip myself.

It's not as easy as standing next to a fuel pump is have to admit

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The title is "would you own a ev". You don't have an valid opinion because you don't own one. Your arguments are not relevant to this thread. If the thread was "would you own a plug in hybrid" then that would be a different story.

You are throwing up issues that aren't relevant to "proper" ev owners. Your issues with the system are not reflective on owning a ev.

Yes the model suits me. But I am in a position to explain the benefits and draw backs. You are not
:rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sorry, but you've got it entirely arse about face! As an existing ev owner your choice was obvious. And, given the title of the thread was 'Would...' as opposed to 'Did...'.... :rolleyes:
Decision whether to be full EV or Hybrid is highly likely to be depend on individual circumstances, but Hybrid qualifies as an EV, and part of the choice, to me.
Instead of simply stating 'issues that aren't relevant to 'proper' ev owners', please explain why that aren't relevant (you may have, but I'm not going to search dozens of pages to check). The issues of available distance and charging facilities seem the most critical ones.

And FWIW...A wine smelling horrible would be sufficient to put me off buying it and I'd similarly recommend against it, if asked.

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
:rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sorry, but you've got it entirely arse about face! As an existing ev owner your choice was obvious. And, given the title of the thread was 'Would...' as opposed to 'Did...'.... :rolleyes:
Decision whether to be full EV or Hybrid is highly likely to be depend on individual circumstances, but Hybrid qualifies as an EV, and part of the choice, to me.
Instead of simply stating 'issues that aren't relevant to 'proper' ev owners', please explain why that aren't relevant (you may have, but I'm not going to search dozens of pages to check). The issues of available distance and charging facilities seem the most critical ones.
The thread is "would you own a ev". The point of the thread is to inform people if it is worth them owning an ev. Not a hybrid not a regular car, a ev.
The issues surrounding charging facilities and wait times are not the most crucial ones to consider as the vast majority of people don't cover the mileage to need to use the infrastructure in the first place.
How often would you visit a petrol station if you had one at home that let you dispense 300 miles a day?. All of a sudden its not so important.
However, if you park on the street or travel alot per day then of course its relevant. But the information that is being posted isn't a true account of what it's like as an owner. It's the world seen through the eyes of a person who's car is not able to utilise the system.

For those who don't know think of it this way. When you fill a pint glass up with water from your tap you blast the tap on, fill it up as fast as possible, when it gets close to the top of the glass you start to shut the tap off thus not spilling any water. Thats the same way a ev charges. A plug in hybrid is constantly on trickle mode to prevent all the water spilling over the glass. I have a plug in hybrid too. The technology regarding charging to me is piss poor. I also own a ev. The technology is fantastic (and getting better)

If you are on the fence about owning a ev you might to listen to Robster59 and be put off. I'm saying his Information isn't reflective of what it's actually like to own, drive and run one. I'd like to add that my wife (who's car it is) drives the country in it

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The thread is "would you own a ev". The point of the thread is to inform people if it is worth them owning an ev.. Not a hybrid not a regular car, a ev....
Well, your 'the point...' clashes with the thread title! You seem to have interpreted the, quite specific, title as 'what are the benefits/disadvantages of owning an EV'! Though it may have morphed into that some time ago.
FWIW, I wouldn't buy one currently, but they are definitely the way of the future. Hybrids are a poor 'halfway' exercise that may be appropriate to some (e.g. long distance) users, but not me. Convenient charging facilities are essential, preferably direct from house, and currently don't seem widespread enough.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, your 'the point...' clashes with the thread title! You seem to have interpreted the, quite specific, title as 'what are the benefits/disadvantages of owning an EV'! Though it may have morphed into that some time ago.
FWIW, I wouldn't buy one currently, but they are definitely the way of the future. Hybrids are a poor 'halfway' exercise that may be appropriate to some (e.g. long distance) users, but not me. Convenient charging facilities are essential and currently don't seem widespread enough.
If you can't charge at home or work then yes, charging Infrastructure is essential. I have never in 30,000 miles been caught short on charge. If I didn't have a charger at home then its not the availability of chargers that is the problem ( because it isn't) it would be the 45 minute wait to charge my car every 300 miles. So I wouldn't want an ev.

Most people think that the only place to charge is a service station or petrol station. The infrastructure that people say isn't there most definitely is. You just don't notice them. They are right under your nose. Google "zap map".

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you can't charge at home or work then yes, charging Infrastructure is essential. I have never in 30,000 miles been caught short on charge. If I didn't have a charger at home then its not the availability of chargers that is the problem ( because it isn't) it would be the 45 minute wait to charge my car every 300 miles. So I wouldn't want an ev
Most people think that the only place to charge is a service station or petrol station. The infrastructure that people say isn't there most definitely is. You just don't notice them. They are right under your nose. Google "zap map".
Supermarkets and Hotels/Motels that have parking are the logical charging places to me. The charging time is not 'wasted' then On-street chargers will eventually become widespread - in cities/large towns initially. But, indeed, home (overnight)or work charging facilities are currently a virtual requirement.

FWIW. None of this info has been gleaned 'from this thread', so your 'point of the thread is to inform' has not been appropriate for me, though might be to others - if presented in a 'less-combative way.

Last edited: