The all things EV chat thread

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My Ioniq 5 is apparently on a boat so we’re around 6-8 weeks away from having it. Hyundai have been a shambles throughout the process. Granted it’s not their doing with regards shortages however their inability to tell the truth has been appalling. Hoping the car is worth it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The VW ID4 is more SUV than hot hatch
Still a decent if uninspiring choice

Ah ok, I like the Skoda version but the guy at work that has an I'd4 said it worked out cheaper with the I'd4 as their packages were better to get the items he wanted on the car

Like the Kia ev6 and the Hyundai 5

Would love a telsa model y , may have to have the wife put her foot down and say no because I'm not known for self control

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm very lucky we have 2 outside sockets we are allowed to hook up to

Left home with 75% battery returned 78% battery

Nights are brilliant 10-12 hours ...normally leave work with 100%

Traffic isn't as bad anymore to sit in because it saves you money

Going to work 36 mins .. 3.7mile per kw

Going home 1 hour 10 mins 5.4 mile per kw

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My brother has got himself an MG ZS full electric. He was previously spending £600 per month on diesel travelling to work and back and has now switched that to recharging at home and at work and paying car finance repayments instead. For his situation it works perfectly but unfortunately it's still not practical for me to go electric when towing the caravan or trailer.

D

Deleted member 23270

My brother has got himself an MG ZS full electric. He was previously spending £600 per month on diesel travelling to work and back and has now switched that to recharging at home and at work and paying car finance repayments instead. For his situation it works perfectly but unfortunately it's still not practical for me to go electric when towing the caravan or trailer.
Jeezus. My 335d costs £100 to fill now and does 600 to a tankful. That's 3500 miles for £600. What was he driving and how far was his commute?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I really am not sure how they are going to solve that one

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Flippin' 'eck. That's some commute :eek: Can he really now do that mileage with only home and work charging??

Jeezus. My 335d costs £100 to fill now and does 600 to a tankful. That's 3500 miles for £600. What was he driving and how far was his commute?

A 105 mile round trip from home to school and back five days a week, plus additional mileage traveling to other schools to provide SEND support and then football or cricket travel at weekends. He was driving some kind of sporty Range Rover which was rather thirsty.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really am not sure how they are going to solve that one

The only solution that would currently work for us would be to keep the diesel Zafira and only use it when towing, or on longer journeys, and then switch the petrol C-Max for an EV for the local journeys. But as the C-Max was given to me free when my dad stopped driving and only has 70k miles on the clock it's probably still got another 8 to 10 years of life left in it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only solution that would currently work for us would be to keep the diesel Zafira and only use it when towing, or on longer journeys, and then switch the petrol C-Max for an EV for the local journeys. But as the C-Max was given to me free when my dad stopped driving and only has 70k miles on the clock it's probably still got another 8 to 10 years of life left in it.

I mean that's a fine work around for you but I mean how will the industry solve this issue? It clearly is a problem

On your brother's commute that's a perfect example of an EV being a perfect replacement for day to day

Even if he leased it for say £300 a month and he owned his own car he would be quids in

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do wish honda would up their EV game

Ive just turned round my old HRV (sold to wife's mum) it's comfortable, well made, best camera I've ever used for reversing. It's not like the best drive ever but it really did us well for me for work and us for home (damn twins)

Would be perfect for work again if it was just an EV .... 40-45 mpg is good don't get me wrong but 3-4 miles per kw is better cost wise