Tesla 3

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tesla have announced they are going to close most branches and go to online sales. This will help the reduce pricing on their Tesla 3 model to a more achievable level. The estimate is approx $35k, £26k. Whether this transfers across to the UK is another matter of course.

If it does come in at £26k that suddenly seems a game changer. Tesla cars look lovely to me, the battery range is pretty darned good and it is the one electric car that could be usable for many people.

At this price, does it tempt anyone here to at least look at it?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im not ordering a pizza but a car, so who is going to spend that sort of money on an online only purchase?
I want a showroom, to be able to go browse, peruse, look then haggle on the price.
None of that is done on one visit.
Personally I think a Tesla is a make that will either be absorbed into another group or will disappear altogether.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I run a plug in hybrid. The issue for me is the lack of charging stations and a purpose battery car.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd look at it at that price point. No dealership wouldn't worry me in the slightest. I only do 10-20 miles per day and we have a charging point at work so no issue there...

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We run two cars and we're seriously looking at changing our second car for an electric one as it's mainly used for local driving and so range would not be an issue. I agree Bunkermagnet, I wouldn't order online as it's still a higher priced purchase and I'd want to have a sit in it and a spin round the block before parting with my hard earned!!

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im not ordering a pizza but a car, so who is going to spend that sort of money on an online only purchase?
I want a showroom, to be able to go browse, peruse, look then haggle on the price.
None of that is done on one visit.
Personally I think a Tesla is a make that will either be absorbed into another group or will disappear altogether.

Extracted from BBC article this am:

In a blog post, Tesla said a test drive was not needed because you can return a car within seven days, or after driving 1,000 miles, and get a full refund. "Quite literally, you could buy a Tesla, drive several hundred miles for a weekend road trip with friends and then return it for free," the blog said.

It is good to see that the price is more within realms of affordability. For me, the Teslas aren't that great looking, more like posh Vauxhalls. I have two director friends that have just got the S and the X through their company. They say they are great apart from the build quality.

For me, electric cars have to go through another evolution to get me seriously tempted.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a poster on another forum I frequent who is very involved in this field. She believes that Tesla will become a battery supplier going forward and will drop the car production. Apparently their facility is huge, advanced and has capability to grow. She sees them as supplying the batteries for other mfrs going forward as that is their strength.

Robin Hood

Visit site
Not for me.
I think they are ugly and overpriced.
The technology has still got some way to go, and therefore I shall defer my decision for a few years.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d get one in a heart beat at that cost

My second car is going to be replaced in 2 years once the main car is paid off

And all electric would suit my 50 mile round trip a day

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We run 2 Nissan cars, one an all electric and the other petrol. Both are very similar in spec so, HID drives the electric and if she needs to do a journey outside the range of the batteries then we switch cars. The electric is a super car to drive and costs very little to charge overnight with the free charger we got in the deal.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Definetly one i m looking for ... .would be great to dump my diesel for this one. At its range, will save more than a few shillings..

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do people feel electric cars will be the future?

Hyundai already has a hydrogen powered car out, which produces pure water as it's exhaust. Surely something like this is going to be the way forward, as it is just as clean, if not cleaner, and has the big benefit of being able to refuel much quicker.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I want to sit in a car and see how it feels before I would buy it. It also takes away the opportunity of shopping around.
I think some Tesla's look nice but their crossover is pug ugly.
I do too many miles for an all electric car at the moment but may be something for my other half as she doesn't do massive mileages in hers.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I want to sit in a car and see how it feels before I would buy it. It also takes away the opportunity of shopping around.
I think some Tesla's look nice but their crossover is pug ugly.
I do too many miles for an all electric car at the moment but may be something for my other half as she doesn't do massive mileages in hers.

In a blog post, Tesla said a test drive was not needed because you can return a car within seven days, or after driving 1,000 miles, and get a full refund. "Quite literally, you could buy a Tesla, drive several hundred miles for a weekend road trip with friends and then return it for free," the blog said.

As stated above

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do people feel electric cars will be the future?

Hyundai already has a hydrogen powered car out, which produces pure water as it's exhaust. Surely something like this is going to be the way forward, as it is just as clean, if not cleaner, and has the big benefit of being able to refuel much quicker.
No is the answer to your top question. For starters there is simply not enough of the mineral required for batteries so in practical terms it does not work. Throw into the mix the infrastructure required and I don't see it being the way forward.

James May went across to the USA a few years back and did a piece on a hydrogen powered Honda for Top Gear. It was brilliant, he was in raptures. As easy to fill as a petrol car. No idea why the push has not been for hydrogen cars.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
While Hydrogen costs more than Petrol and Diesel I can't see it catching on, electric cars will not catch on either until they have a lot larger range and more charging points.
Have driven an electric car and van and loved every mile, shame it was only 80 miles in the van and a little under 115 in the car.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funnily enough I was talking to a colleague at work about Tesla 3 today.

I like the look of it, but do prefer the Model S. Having been in one, they are ridiculously good, in my opinion. Power delivery is instant and really comfortable.

My car will be up for replacement in 2 years, so will be interesting to see where the car market is then.

Shame the Model S is double and triple the price of the Model 3

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Tesla have announced they are going to close most branches and go to online sales. This will help the reduce pricing on their Tesla 3 model to a more achievable level. The estimate is approx $35k, £26k. Whether this transfers across to the UK is another matter of course.

If it does come in at £26k that suddenly seems a game changer. Tesla cars look lovely to me, the battery range is pretty darned good and it is the one electric car that could be usable for many people.

At this price, does it tempt anyone here to at least look at it?

It wont come in at £26k. US products never launch at a UK price that is a direct exchange rate conversion.

Usually my rule of thumb is take 10% off the US $ price and then change the currency symbol to £.

So around £31.5k.

Still not an awful price if the government is still giving the £3.5k incentive to purchasers of EV's when it gets here.

I'd certainly be interested but with cars like the Kia e-Nero having ranges closer to 280 miles the Tesla is already looking short in this regards.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Toyota do a hydrogen car. At present, there are 3 sites in the UK where you can fill it up. One is in Hendon. Has a range similar to petrol. Trouble is you can only drive near Hendon.