Tesla Energy Plan

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
While I don’t have a Tesla or another EV, it is inevitable at some point in the next 5-7 years. We don’t have Solar Panels either. We wanted to install them but the powers to be have withdrawn all incentives to put it in.
So a bit surprised when I stumbled on the Tesla power plan. Any experience of this? Idea of costs etc.

Details here >> https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/tesla-energy-plan

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whilst not a specific Tesla plan, we have just had a quote from a scheme set up by the local council to bulk buy solar installations which was then put out to companies to bid for. 8 panels and a 3kW battery is about £9.5k installed if that gives you a rough estimate. We can then sell back excess and the Tesla plan is by far the best at 12p per kWh but you need to buy a nominated battery for £9k to access this so makes it substantially more expensive. Our battery adds about £2k for comparison

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was going on it in January, battery will be here by then

However it was priced up at 11p a kw but now it's gone to 26p so I'm assessing my options

I will either go on it for the flat 26p or manage the battery myself stay on the ev tariff, charge the battery at night on the cheap rate and use it to run the house in day

Both work out roughly the same money wise on smart metre data but that's without load shifting

Once it arrives I can properly assess how much cheaper the ev tariff will be Vs TEP

as example (all electric only ignore gas as it's the same regardless)

ATM £1050 a year on electric (can't factor solar in not been running)
On TEP (old rate) £1070 so was going to do that to stay same
New tep rate £2500
New EV rate £2550
New price cap predicted from Oct £4000!

So I'll save the amount I thought I'd save (as old price cap I'd be on £2500 now) just paying more lol

Anyways the wait for powerwalls are 18 months , I ordered January before it all kicked off and mine should be in the country today actually looking at the calender

But let's see if it's delayed

Edit you asked for cost

Panels (4.5kw system) plus powerwall and gateway £16k (was almost 17 before vat went to 0)

Battery and gateway (allows you to go off grid in powercut rather than your panels going dead to protect the grid engineers) £9000 so majority was the battery

So far I've saved over £200 off my electric bills even at my current rate of 14p day 5.5p night .. (until Feb) so once the new prices kick in will be more saving ..

Payback was 10 years on real figures of £150 a saved via tep at 11p but now prices have risen and so has the price cap it's prob 8-9 years but haven't fully sat down with them yet

If you have any questions or want pics or the set up I think I posted them on another thread or pm me I'll send them over

Last edited:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was going on it in January, battery will be here by then

However it was priced up at 11p a kw but now it's gone to 26p so I'm assessing my options

I will either go on it for the flat 26p or manage the battery myself stay on the ev tariff, charge the battery at night on the cheap rate and use it to run the house in day

Both work out roughly the same money wise on smart metre data but that's without load shifting

Once it arrives I can properly assess how much cheaper the ev tariff will be Vs TEP

as example (all electric only ignore gas as it's the same regardless)

ATM £1050 a year on electric (can't factor solar in not been running)
On TEP (old rate) £1070 so was going to do that to stay same
New tep rate £2500
New EV rate £2550
New price cap predicted from Oct £4000!

So I'll save the amount I thought I'd save (as old price cap I'd be on £2500 now) just paying more lol

Anyways the wait for powerwalls are 18 months , I ordered January before it all kicked off and mine should be in the country today actually looking at the calender

But let's see if it's delayed

Edit you asked for cost

Panels (4.5kw system) plus powerwall and gateway £16k (was almost 17 before vat went to 0)

Battery and gateway (allows you to go off grid in powercut rather than your panels going dead to protect the grid engineers) £9000 so majority was the battery

So far I've saved over £200 off my electric bills even at my current rate of 14p day 5.5p night .. (until Feb) so once the new prices kick in will be more saving ..

Payback was 10 years on real figures of £150 a saved via tep at 11p but now prices have risen and so has the price cap it's prob 8-9 years but haven't fully sat down with them yet

If you have any questions or want pics or the set up I think I posted them on another thread or pm me I'll send them over

This is really helpful.. So i assume the investment is 25k... 16k+9k.. and assume a break even of 10 years. faster if you have an EV. If there is Govt help to bring this into the 15k bracket, then I think people will lap it up. Will go a long way into fixing our broken energy system.

If we do this, then our gas consumption is primarily cooking & heating. Cooking will be miniscule, but i wonder if you can swap the combi to something electric/immersion driven when you go solar

also would be great if Tesla provided some discount to its shareholders. I should ask elon that Q

Like in @Neilds case our council had a group buying scheme... it was oversubscribed and shut down. Waiting for it to reopen.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is really helpful.. So i assume the investment is 25k... 16k+9k.. and assume a break even of 10 years. faster if you have an EV. If there is Govt help to bring this into the 15k bracket, then I think people will lap it up. Will go a long way into fixing our broken energy system.

If we do this, then our gas consumption is primarily cooking & heating. Cooking will be miniscule, but i wonder if you can swap the combi to something electric/immersion driven when you go solar

also would be great if Tesla provided some discount to its shareholders. I should ask elon that Q

Like in @Neilds case our council had a group buying scheme... it was oversubscribed and shut down. Waiting for it to reopen.

Sorry it was 16k total, 9k of it was battery

So total investment 16k

When we eventually redo the kitchen I hope heat pumps improve and a water tank may have to return with electric used

Ironically old tech being slightly more efficient now. Just gas was so cheap.

Loving my panels so far can't wait for battery, the investment went on the mortgage on a 10 year deal , so in 10 years not only is it paid for as in broken even it's also paid off off so hopefully by then energy bills won't be so mental

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry it was 16k total, 9k of it was battery

So total investment 16k

When we eventually redo the kitchen I hope heat pumps improve and a water tank may have to return with electric used

Ironically old tech being slightly more efficient now. Just gas was so cheap.

Loving my panels so far can't wait for battery, the investment went on the mortgage on a 10 year deal , so in 10 years not only is it paid for as in broken even it's also paid off off so hopefully by then energy bills won't be so mental

16K is much more affordable (relatively speaking)

BTW, what do you mean .. 'it went on the mortgage'.. is that you got a loan on it?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We are looking to redo the kitchen, so looking to see if there is a way to add some form of heating via panels rather than just gas.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
We are looking to redo the kitchen, so looking to see if there is a way to add some form of heating via panels rather than just gas.
Do you mean heating the house using solar PV?
Good luck with that - you need the heating in winter, when you'll be lucky to get 1kWh per day from even a fairly large PV installation, while a typical house will require over 50kWh per day to heat in winter.
The only way I can see to heat your house with solar is to find some form of long term storage that will allow you to store at least 10,000 kWh to get you through the winter.
AFAIK storage like that for domestic installation simply doesn't exist.
In a UK winter I'd have thought a (big) wind turbine would be a better option, but the problem with them is that they cost a lot, are rather noisy, need regular servicing, and require planning permission (fat chance in a residential area).

OTOH if you're talking about using solar to offset some of your gas usage, then of course any little might help a bit, but in terms of heating it'll be a drop in the ocean.

The basic problem with solar in the UK is that it tends to be sunny at times when we are least in need of the energy. Storage is the big stumbling block, and IMHO lithium batteries are absolutely NOT the answer. I think they will be a short term stop gap until something better comes along - a bit like those horrible fluorescent energy saving lightbulbs that we all put up with for about a decade before LEDs became commonplace.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
WRT the Tesla Energy Plan:

In principle sounds like a good idea, but there's something about Tesla as a company that bothers me. They seem rather like Apple, nurturing a devoted - almost religious - following of people who think they can do no wrong. Once a company is in that sort of position, they start taking the proverbial.

I'd be more interested if Octopus offered a similar scheme with other battery suppliers (eg. GivEnergy).

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
WRT the Tesla Energy Plan:

In principle sounds like a good idea, but there's something about Tesla as a company that bothers me. They seem rather like Apple, nurturing a devoted - almost religious - following of people who think they can do no wrong. Once a company is in that sort of position, they start taking the proverbial.

I'd be more interested if Octopus offered a similar scheme with other battery suppliers (eg. GivEnergy).

unfortunately, for my sins, i am a tesla fan boi... partially because it did energise my pension pot. I cant afford any of its products except it shares.. but it does make some epic products

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
16K is much more affordable (relatively speaking)

BTW, what do you mean .. 'it went on the mortgage'.. is that you got a loan on it?

Apologies, been a bit hectic today so my messages been not entirely clear and concise.

I took out 16k on the mortgage, I was going to pay the difference (the vat) myself

Anyways I took out a 16k mortgage extra on my house , fixed for 10 years on a 10 year deal so it was before the rates rise and when the fix ends the mortgage ends

They do green mortgages of like 1% I think but only would let me fix for 5 years

I understand what you mean about 16k is "affordable" it's not small amount but it becomes realistic rather than wow never doing that

My parents interested I reckon they could do a smaller system with a smaller battery for 10k which would suit their lower usage needs

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not Tesla related but

Project Solar installed mine at the end of July,

10 x Solar PV Panels and a 5.8KW battery £15k

The battery was out of stock so I am awaiting a replacement which will be a 6kw, due this month

August alone has provided 178kWh

I will export to Octopus as they over the best return per kw

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One note with TEP is your usage is limited to 9500 kw usage per year per PW between 7am.and 7pm

So if you have an EV best to charge out of those hours to not go over

Also telsa take control of your PW if you go onto the plan so you lose a lot of control but for the cheap price it is worth it