Improve Your Practice

NeilPlimmer25

Club Champion
Visit site
Guys and Girls

I have watched quite a number of swings over the last week and wanted to applaud you all on your dedication to this wonderful game.

One thing that is noticable is how much a lot of your practice so I wanted to post an article that I had published on the PGA website last year

I am sure it will provoke some interesting thoughts and comments
If you take notice of anything make sure that your practice ticks the 5 boxes at the end of the article.

Improve Your Practice with Neil Plimmer
Director of Coaching & Development – The Golf School @ Mid Sussex
PGA Fellow Professional – Golf Monthly Top 25 Coach – Sussex County Ladies Coach

Over the last 10 years technology has improved equipment beyond belief.
There are more resources available about the game to learn from then you have hours left in your life.
Golf Coaching has improved through understanding and technology.
We have fantastic facilities to play and practice the game.
Yet, handicaps are no better than they were 25 years ago!! WHY?

One area that I am coming to realise that golfers have to have more understanding of is how to practice efficiently. All golfers have a reasonable idea of WHAT to practice, but what I have believe is that virtually NO golfer understands HOW to practice effectively and efficiently to lower their scores.
I ask all my pupils a simple question (one that you may have heard often in your business and personal lives) What is the ROI (Return On Investment) on your energy, time and resources from your practice time relative to the improvement on your game?
If you are anything like players that I have asked this question to, the answer is normally 0% return!!
There were a number of things that got me interested in how people practice.
1. Zen Golf – Dr Joseph Parent
2. Every Shot Must Have a Purpose – Pia Nilsson & Lynn Marriott
The Game Before The Game - Pia Nilsson & Lynn Marriott
3. Karl Morris – The Psychology of Practice – PGA CPD seminar
The above books and Karl Morris’ seminar provided the questions for me to ponder on why so many golfers spend hours on the range/practice ground/practice putting green and yet get no better. Things have got to change!

Gone are the days where the best golfers are the ones that hit balls till their hands bleed and you have to find the answer in the dirt. I believe that if golfers applied some simple thinking and put together a plan with the help of their coach specific to their own strengths and weaknesses, handicaps may start to lower across the nation.
With the help of the above sources and lot of work with my own pupils I am starting to understand how people could better spend their practice time and then show some return on that investment.

You first of all have to decide and commit to a certain period of time per week to dedicate to your game. It does not matter if it is only 10 minutes per week; I believe that you could come up with a personal plan that could help lower your scores. You also need to decide what area of your game you are going to concentrate on. To do that you have got understand the facts of your game. Start taking some simple stats of where your game stands at the moment (score, fairways hit, greens hit in regulation, putts, plus also maybe positive and negative points about your game on that day) With the help of your coach you could then formulate the best plan of how to practice.

Once you have an idea of your strengths, weaknesses and time available you have to make sure that your practice time has 5 things.
1. Consequence – every shot that you hit in practice must have a result. Never just drag and hit balls without aiming at a target. Decide where you want every shot to finish. Play each shot as if you were on the golf course.
2. Be as hard as or harder than the real game - Do not drag your ball onto a nice lie every practice shot that you hit. If you make your practice harder than the real thing you feel a certain relief when you play out on the course.
3. Tangible – You must record scores from your practice. Develop games/skills tests that you can play during your practice time that you can see when you are improving. As your scores improve in practice you will start to see that your scores on the golf course lower.
4. Emotion – I feel that this is vital to have in your practice. The time you spend practicing must parallel the emotions that we feel on every shot out on the course (e.g. the ohhhhh of a putt that slides by the edge of the hole or the Tiger Woods fist pump when a putt goes in on the 18th green) If you feel this it will also mean that you will enjoy your practice more.
5. Competitive – By recording scores you try and beat your personal best. Or practice with a friend a play nearest the pin or first to hole the shot

To improve your score in this game you have to make a change.
Change the way you approach your practice time, no matter how long or short that time may be and I believe that we could all start to see a lowering of the scores that have stayed static for many years.

For more details and feedback and also to share experience email me neilplimmer@tiscali.co.uk

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Neil

Excellent piece and very interesting. I have been saying form months how on a range session I will step off the mat after every shot and take my grip and address from scratch on every shot. That said I do tend to hit the same club for a number (usually 15 balls) of shots but do have specific targets to aim at.

Regarding emotion and competitiveness, I do try my guts out on the short game area to hole out or at least get as close as possible with every chip. On the putting green it really irks if I three putt especially if I've hit the first one 3-4 feet short or long. I am trying to get more focussed on the short game to a) reduce my handicap and save shots and b) because when I use to practice it I tended to just knoock the ball around.

There are some very good tips there that I'll be taking away. The good thing about our practice ground is that there aren't many good lies. They are either fluffy or bare.

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Neil, sounds like logical and meaningful advice. I often try and 'play a round' when I'm at the range. Driving at certain different targets, then I imagine I'm at a certain hole at my home course, choose an appropriate target as if it was my relative approach shot, and the same with my wedges.

I don't just robotically leather the hell out of ball after ball after ball.

Once again, thanks for your advice, I'll try and get some clips of my swing added to the forum soon, I'd very much appreciate your advice.

Gustavo

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Homer, as a rule* I never putt to the same target twice and I only ever practice putting with one ball.

It might be 'each to their own' but I don't see the point of getting it right the second time?

all my mates go round the putting green with 2 or 3 balls... and miss everything that counts.

*OCCASIONALLY I might hit to the same target twice but only if I felt that my read of the break was really poor.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be fair I don't putt to the same target everytime. I usually have three balls and putt to three separate holes. I'll hole out ball one and try and putt it to ball two's hole, hole both of them out and repeat for the third. The only time I'll use more than one ball is if I put a circle (about 3 foot) around a hole with a slight borrow and hole out every one starting again if I miss

mono217

Journeyman Pro
i707.photobucket.com
On our local field we have made our own little green it is aawesome. we can go as forward or as far back as we want and hit at it then chip and putt its brill. It is like a temp. though but im not too bothered.

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
Neil

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Its great that you are taking the time to pass on your knowledge and advice and I am sure it will help the vast majority of us on here.

Like you say your article is likely to promote some interesting discussion, so may I be the first to offer a different point of view! Dragging balls onto a matt and hitting them has its place. For example, when trying to groove a swing change I will try and develop the feeling of the change by hitting a number of balls in quick succession. The resultant ball flight tells me whether these changes are working. I accept that you need a target to aim at, but that is common sense?
There also seems no sense in changing a club every shot if you are trying to get used to a change eg a new grip. Would it not be far better for you to groove the change with one club before switching between driver and pitching wedge?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Practice? what's that then... :)

I wouldn't know anything about such an activity..... :)

How does 20,000 hours sound...... :cool:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Neil

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Its great that you are taking the time to pass on your knowledge and advice and I am sure it will help the vast majority of us on here.

Like you say your article is likely to promote some interesting discussion, so may I be the first to offer a different point of view! Dragging balls onto a matt and hitting them has its place. For example, when trying to groove a swing change I will try and develop the feeling of the change by hitting a number of balls in quick succession. The resultant ball flight tells me whether these changes are working. I accept that you need a target to aim at, but that is common sense?
There also seems no sense in changing a club every shot if you are trying to get used to a change eg a new grip. Would it not be far better for you to groove the change with one club before switching between driver and pitching wedge?
I agree that practice like this has it's place. I also like to mix it with similar practice as described by Neil. I have some range sessions where I play various courses in my mind and I love practicing when I hit the club (and shots)that I really don't fancy especially the ones that make you look like a wally at the range!! (hook a 3-iron round the back of the 150 marker to the 200 marker on the left...etc etc) Oh the joy!! :D

NeilPlimmer25

Club Champion
Visit site
There is certainly a time for "grooving" a swing

I call this "closed" practice. When you have one specific thing that you want to work and you repeat it to develop an awareness and feeligs that you can take to the course.

My main problem with amateur golfers is the majority of there practice is "closed"

I prefer to see more "open" practice
This is where my 5 rules of practice comes in
"Open" practice is
changing clubs and target after every shot
moving off the mat after every shot
moving from chip to putt to pitch to bunker shot
shaping shots
from diferent lies/slopes

I believe the perfect blend is 20% closed and 80% open practice. Probably the opposite to most golfers

One of my rules of practice
If it feels really hard and your shots/performance are affected (ie, you hit it poorly during the practice session) then your are learning and will improve
If practice is easy and you hit it really well, you do not get worse but you will very seldom improve - you will generally stay the same standard (sound familiar??)

Just a few more thoughts to consider
Would love to hear your thoughts, there is never a perfect way to do practice, just make sure that what you are doing or planning to do develops the knowledge of your game which will therefore lead to improvement

Neil Plimmer