Solar panels , would you ?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very overcast here but I've just boiled the kettle and it's used energy from the batteries:) My first couple of brews didn't. It's the little things lol

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very overcast here but I've just boiled the kettle and it's used energy from the batteries:) My first couple of brews didn't. It's the little things lol

It's surprising how much solar you will end up with even on an overcast day this time of year

Once those panels recharge the battery you can have a sun powered tea

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's surprising how much solar you will end up with even on an overcast day this time of year

Once those panels recharge the battery you can have a sun powered tea
23Kw generated today of which 18 exported....

So i decided to run the washing and tumble dryer... battery is still intact and still exporting.. What is not to like.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
23Kw generated today of which 18 exported....

So i decided to run the washing and tumble dryer... battery is still intact and still exporting.. What is not to like.

Tbh I find it a waste to use the solar. Because I'm buying for 7.5p and exporting 15p.. so the more I export the better

Cheaper to put everything on overnight

Saying that 13 produced today 1 exported

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tbh I find it a waste to use the solar. Because I'm buying for 7.5p and exporting 15p.. so the more I export the better

Cheaper to put everything on overnight

Saying that 13 produced today 1 exported
i am only exporting after the battery is full.. so either way i have shifted the load. If the sun is out, then it is the perfect time to get loads like laundry done. that way, you can get away by not using battery and just working directly off solar

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i am only exporting after the battery is full.. so either way i have shifted the load. If the sun is out, then it is the perfect time to get loads like laundry done. that way, you can get away by not using battery and just working directly off solar

I get that, but you could also just export that and buy it at the cheap times for 7.5p whilst it's exported for 15p

That's why where possible I load shift everything until the cheap hours

For example I could be on 70% battery at night then I won't do the tumble until 00:00 to save on using battery and replacing from grid later which is slightly less efficient

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I get that, but you could also just export that and buy it at the cheap times for 7.5p whilst it's exported for 15p

That's why where possible I load shift everything until the cheap hours

For example I could be on 70% battery at night then I won't do the tumble until 00:00 to save on using battery and replacing from grid later which is slightly less efficient

I could.. but I also like to go to bed :)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
almost getting to that time of year..

usage overnight was 10.7kwh (including filling up the battery) this costs £0.8025 (based on £0.075 per kw , plus standing charge of 0.4785 equals £1.2809

exported thus far today 7.6kwh which is £1.14 (based on £0.15 a kwh) I basically need just over 1kwh more exported today to break entirely even on my usage.. but sun is getting low so I doubt it

bodes well for the summer days when I should be able to cover most of my usage via the export. Tbh if i could just cover my standing charge for the year (£169.87) (1133 kwh exported) id be happy as I cant stand the standing charge.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
We are good this week, but it helps not being at home and not consuming anything outside off base load.
We are importing about 1.8 each night to top up the battery, then exporting from 9am to 5pm.

Attachments

• IMG_3652.jpeg
    IMG_3652.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 7

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
How is this for a month of energy?

Being away for 7 days helped.

Edit says they slotted in a halfway step into the billing time frame, there is a 2nd part.
Not quite 0 yet for mid March to mid April

Attachments

• IMG_3668.jpeg
    IMG_3668.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3669.jpeg
    IMG_3669.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well today marks the first ever day that the system has paid for all the electric costs for the house.

This is because the export rate is now double the rate I purchase the electric for so we have exported 10kw today and purchased 13.4kw .. (£1.50 sold for and £1.49 purchased with the standing charge)

Hazzar