Equal Pay for Equal Work

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
This. Also, surely it shouldn't be being discussed by anyone outside of work.

There’s lots of things that end up in the public domain that shouldn’t be discussed. And often on this very platform.

No names, companies or even sector (beyond the vagary of engineering) have been mentioned.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Is her grievance simply because she is physically unable to lift the pipe cap head?

The HSE give plenty of guidance on this…

https://www.hse.gov.uk/toolbox/manual.htm

If the girl thinks the task is beyond her individual capabilities then she should get help, this should really be company policy for all Manual Handling tasks.

What would be the case if it was a lad who couldn’t lift a thing, would that element of the task become a two man job or would the lad just be considered incompetent for the task?

On the face of it I would think it’s a mistake to raise an inequality complaint but maybe a complaint that the company are in breach of HSE guidelines would gain more traction. Is the factory Unionised?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Their HR don’t want to upset anyone on grounds of equality by all accounts.

We know it’s daft, we can see the idiocy in this. They don’t and sadly their “handbook” doesn’t cover heavy lifting tasks by gender. It’s almost like it’s assumed that people will understand the common sense approach.
HR are bottling their job. Sometimes, something that looks simple is simple. HR should know this.

There shouldn't be anything in the handbook about heavy lifting and gender as gender isn't relative to it. It's about h & s, is it safe for person A to lift x or not. If not the manager works around that. That's perfectly reasonable.

I'd be questioning the thought process of the individual in this. That would worry me hugely that they were going down this route on an utterly flimsy basis.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
HR are bottling their job. Sometimes, something that looks simple is simple. HR should know this.

There shouldn't be anything in the handbook about heavy lifting and gender as gender isn't relative to it. It's about h & s, is it safe for person A to lift x or not. If not the manager works around that. That's perfectly reasonable.

I'd be questioning the thought process of the individual in this. That would worry me hugely that they were going down this route on an utterly flimsy basis.
There is, in many cases, a mismatch between what HR department knows and what it does.
They are employed by the company to do whatever serves the company best.
If that means trying to pull the wool over the employee's eyes, being economical with the truth or a bit of smoke-and-mirrors technique, then that is what they will do.
I never found an HR person who was concerned solely with the employee's interests or employment rights.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is her grievance simply because she is physically unable to lift the pipe cap head?

The HSE give plenty of guidance on this…

https://www.hse.gov.uk/toolbox/manual.htm

If the girl thinks the task is beyond her individual capabilities then she should get help, this should really be company policy for all Manual Handling tasks.

What would be the case if it was a lad who couldn’t lift a thing, would that element of the task become a two man job or would the lad just be considered incompetent for the task?

On the face of it I would think it’s a mistake to raise an inequality complaint but maybe a complaint that the company are in breach of HSE guidelines would gain more traction. Is the factory Unionised?
Spot on. It's nothing to do with gender, it's rather the physical limitations of an individual which will vary between people. When the task becomes outside a person's physical ability or is unsafe then a safer procedure should be adopted like being given assistance or the use of mechanical lifting equipment.
HR should explain this but local supervision would be expected to manage this situation.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

I have no skin in the game on this and it makes absolutely no difference to me whether HR are ducking it or not. I just highlighted it as an odd case of work not being equal (rightly or wrongly) where pay is the same. Being raised in a day and age where discrimination, diversity and inclusion are the everyday watchwords.

Apparently the issue with a lad refusing to lift anything has never arisen. This is purely being put forward on the basis of “I’m a girl you can’t expect me to lift that…” and HR not knowing what to do.

Their proficiency on the matter I am not commenting on.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no skin in the game on this and it makes absolutely no difference to me whether HR are ducking it or not. I just highlighted it as an odd case of work not being equal (rightly or wrongly) where pay is the same. Being raised in a day and age where discrimination, diversity and inclusion are the everyday watchwords.

Apparently the issue with a lad refusing to lift anything has never arisen. This is purely being put forward on the basis of “I’m a girl you can’t expect me to lift that…” and HR not knowing what to do.

Their proficiency on the matter I am not commenting on.
There was no attempt to have a pop at you, I didn't mean it to come across that way, if it did. It is clear you are simply relaying an interesting situation.

I think there is a good deal of fear surrounding this type of situation but I am surprised that HR are being so wishy washy. They should know their job better, imo. We often see 'silly' stories in the press but most of the time they are where the company or bosses have simply not followed procedures. Have a correctly put together handbook and contract, follow procedures, behave as you should and you will be okay on the whole. This is one that should be laughed off, or put the individual in their place if they persist with it. Back to a point I made earlier, I'd be asking the individual to point out the rule the company had broken in terms of equality laws. Put the onus on the employee.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
My company doesn’t have a HR department. Can’t complain to one if there isn’t one there 😂