Teeing up, how high?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am currently trying out the 10.5 degree version of my driver, mine is 14 degs, I am struggling to get the tee height correct, for my own I use a yellow castle. Any advice on teeing for this new driver?

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The yellow castle is way too low, i would use the pink or silver castle tee

Aim to have half the ball above the top line of the club face

This assumes you swing and approach the ball ascending

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The loft is not the issue if you are striking the ball level or with a + launch. You should have the ball slightly above the face of the driver when it's grounded. If you strike downward on the ball this height may make it balloon so a shorter tee like a white castle should work. I prefer to use a plain tee that I can set to different heights depending on what trajectory I want on the shot.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you go to your local driving range, and they have three tee heights. The tallest is too tall, the mid one is not quite tall enough, the shortest one is pointless.

Easy really.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pink/Purple tees rock for me - though I used a single white one yesterday (dodgy knee meant it took over 5 mins to get sock on and 'normal' preparation went out the window!).

If you are using Yellow tees successfully, you must be swinging pretty flaf, or even descending, so the Driver loft is helping the launch. Pink/Purple, or even Grey/Orange should encourage an ascending swing. Orange ones are same height as Grey but much easier to find!

And general approach is that half the ball should be above the club face when Driver is placed on the ground, behind the ball. Yellow tee approach is heading the other way around! As the sweet spot of a Driver is above the middle (about 3/4 of the way up), you are not helping your chances of getting your best strike.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any advice on teeing for this new driver?

Place club on ground behind ball, adjust your choice of tee until the ball is 10mm above the centre of the club face - use which ever coloured tee will give you this height; probably white or pink.

You can now hit the middle of the club with a swing that doesn't touch the ground - anything higher is a matter of personal choice; anything lower is pointless (a lower ball trajectory is the result of your club trajectory at impact not where the ball hits the club face)