Tee Times - Staying or Going

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Sorry , I should’ve asked in my first reply. How many members were entitled to vote?
All of them.
Sorry, obtuse answer.
Everyone contacted by email, I believe. Usually a few older members by post or phone. Same system for AGM notification etc.
Many don't vote or attend AGMs.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our Sat rollup has ten late morning tee times allocated to it. Online entry is closed at 8pm Thursday. Depending on numbers if less than 40 are signed up we arrange format to release as many backend tee times as possible on the Friday morning.

Draw for playing four ball groups is made at 10:15am Sat morning with all present. Yes I might have to wait an hour before heading to the tee - but we have superb chipping and putting greens plus a practice ground with free range balls…and excellent coffee with bacon and egg roll…?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Barring a miracle akin to Tiger playing the RC in a couple of weeks, all appears lost.
Fragger is at the meeting right now and it seems they only received 14 proxy votes...
The room is full of about 140 , shall we say experienced members, who will undoubtedly throw the motion for installation of a full time booking system to the wolves..
I'm surprised there weren't many more proxy votes....maybe a lot of members don't actually care....
Short-sighted in my opinion..but there you go...
Looking forward to queuing to play from now on....:rolleyes:

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have just had a vote at our AGM to keep the booking system. I know its not popular on here but I’m gutted about it. Seriously considering packing in. It just doesn’t suit how I want to have a membership and the way our group like to play.

D

Deleted member 3432

Barring a miracle akin to Tiger playing the RC in a couple of weeks, all appears lost.
Fragger is at the meeting right now and it seems they only received 14 proxy votes...
The room is full of about 140 , shall we say experienced members, who will undoubtedly throw the motion for installation of a full time booking system to the wolves..
I'm surprised there weren't many more proxy votes....maybe a lot of members don't actually care....
Short-sighted in my opinion..but there you go...
Looking forward to queuing to play from now on....:rolleyes:

Time to look for another club, one with more forward thinking members by the sound of it.

Mandofred

Visit site
Time to look for another club, one with more forward thinking members by the sound of it.
I tend to agree....I love roll ups, but that is something that could be incorporated into the booking system. But.....forward thinking for some people is the opposite for other people. This is why politics is so annoying to a lot of people....they don't understand why someone has a different view than theirs.....when their view is obviously the "right" view.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So long as you have an app to book tee times (along will calling up ) then it's stupid to not use them.

I was playing today could see the course wasn't busy ahead so knew we would sail round

I finish early next Friday booked for half 12.. knowing I'll prob be there earlier and go but have that secured slot just incase

tobybarker

Visit site
We have roll ups, but the draw is done randomly by the system (clubv1) the night before, so we know what time we are playing and with whom. So much better than hanging around in the wind waiting for your ball to be pulled out of the bag...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We have roll ups, but the draw is done randomly by the system (clubv1) the night before, so we know what time we are playing and with whom. So much better than hanging around in the wind waiting for your ball to be pulled out of the bag...
Depends. My club‘s ethos in respect of rollups is that they provide the opportunity for members to meet and mix. We have found that this is done more effectively and beneficially, especially for new members, by us all getting together beforehand.

Such a ‘complete’ get together just doesn’t happen afterwards as many of us head home after a short social in our fours and with others immediately we have completed our round. Hence the requirement for the late Sat am rollup that all who have entered be in the clubhouse at 10:15am for the draw in advance of first tee time at 10:30am. Most of us turn up by 10:00am at latest.

Just checked and we have 21 signed up for Saturday rollup. This means we’ll prob do an AM-AM in groups of three. So 7 tee times required. I believe that we inform the club early tomorrow that three backend tee times can be released from the rollup block reservation of ten as we don’t need them.

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends. My club‘s ethos in respect of rollups is that they provide the opportunity for members to meet and mix. We have found that this is done more effectively and beneficially, especially for new members, by us all getting together beforehand.

Such a ‘complete’ get together just doesn’t happen afterwards as many of us head home after a short social in our fours and with others immediately we have completed our round. Hence the requirement for the late Sat am rollup that all who have entered be in the clubhouse at 10:15am for the draw in advance of first tee time at 10:30am. Most of us turn up by 10:00am at latest.

Just checked and we have 21 signed up for Saturday rollup. This means we’ll prob do an AM-AM in groups of three. So 7 tee times required. I believe that we inform the club early tomorrow that three backend tee times can be released from the rollup block reservation of ten as we don’t need them.
One club I know use to leave every 2nd tee time free for individuals to walk in mid week.
My 1st club Greenburn GC use to allow visiting parties 1 hour tee slots on a Saturday morning and afternoons , during competitions.:cry: But money was needed .

I have no objections to sweeps/roll ups booking block times . Simply contact the sweep/rollup organiser, if yous want to play within that pre booked block time.
I'm sure they'll try to accommodate, obviously depending on what team you support , Hugh you've no chance :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
It's really the best way to meet and integrate into a club.(y)(y)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Sadly we are not blessed with copious numbers of decent courses around here...unless you want to drive more than half an hour, which I don't...
We can work around the issues, unli,e some on the other side who demanded to know if there would be compensation if the booking system was installed and they decided to leave...
What it does mean is that the rules on waiting will be properly enforced...a lot of the time, if a rollup is queuing, there's no chance of getting through if you've played the front 9..rules say alternate with those coming off the 9th.....so we will!

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is a fascinating discussion. Our club held a postal ballot. The options were to return to a casual system of turn up and play, or maintain a booking system 'with capacity to adapt to members' demands'. 57% of members replied,the vote being 56/44 in favour of a booking system. Management have now instituted a system where every tee time on every day of the week has to be booked, with free times 7 days before being available to visitors. Their concept of 'capacity to adapt to members demands' is a little different to mine. I thought it meant that a hybrid system would be brought in. I can see trouble ahead.......

Mandofred

Visit site
Well, the home club is finally starting up roll ups in the morning. The message from a week or so ago worded things like "this is a trial" etc so they didn't really commit to anything. I tend to think it could turn into a cluster "insert bad word". They have not block off times, just opened BRS that has wording of no bookings needed. We suddenly have even more roll ups than we had before the lockdowns. We had too many then which feeds straight into why a lot of people hate them....and in the prime time slots. Here is what they have for an update....7 different roll ups!!.....madness, and the message said if anybody else might want to start a roll up to let them know. I play in the SODS, usually about 25 on a Saturday....the one behind us usually has similar numbers. But.....it also shows how popular roll ups are at the club.
The Slaughter’s Group – 7.30
Golf the Sequel – 7.50
S Club - 8.20
SODS - 8.55
GASS -10.00
Fez Group - 11.00
Mike’s Rabbits - 13.00

There hasn't been any request for info from the members, or advice on whether to at least have times booked for these roll ups so people who aren't paying attention show up trying to play.....although the booking system has been around long enough that nobody should be doing that any more. I kind of think they are hoping it goes bad tomorrow so they can revert back to straight booking? no idea since they really haven't been keeping us informed with what's going on in "the committee".

D

Deleted member 3432

Well, the home club is finally starting up roll ups in the morning. The message from a week or so ago worded things like "this is a trial" etc so they didn't really commit to anything. I tend to think it could turn into a cluster "insert bad word". They have not block off times, just opened BRS that has wording of no bookings needed. We suddenly have even more roll ups than we had before the lockdowns. We had too many then which feeds straight into why a lot of people hate them....and in the prime time slots. Here is what they have for an update....7 different roll ups!!.....madness, and the message said if anybody else might want to start a roll up to let them know. I play in the SODS, usually about 25 on a Saturday....the one behind us usually has similar numbers. But.....it also shows how popular roll ups are at the club.
Golf the Sequel – 7.50
S Club - 8.20
SODS - 8.55
GASS -10.00
Fez Group - 11.00
Mike’s Rabbits - 13.00

There hasn't been any request for info from the members, or advice on whether to at least have times booked for these roll ups so people who aren't paying attention show up trying to play.....although the booking system has been around long enough that nobody should be doing that any more. I kind of think they are hoping it goes bad tomorrow so they can revert back to straight booking? no idea since they really haven't been keeping us informed with what's going on in "the committee".
Looks o
Golf the Sequel – 7.50
S Club - 8.20
SODS - 8.55
GASS -10.00
Fez Group - 11.00
Mike’s Rabbits - 13.00

Looks like people are forming roll ups in the hope it guarantees them a game at the weekend.

Don't blame them if that's what you need to do.

Good luck tomorrow, hope you get a game.

Mandofred

Visit site
Bloomin' amateurs
We've got 18...:rolleyes:
Huh? Official (ish) roll ups in one day?

At Ripon we have one on Wed at 9am, Thursday morning about an hour for Seniors "things", Sunday morning 8am..small group......that's it for roll ups there. Also a Ladies time on Tuesday if I remember correctly.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Since booking was mandated, there has been huge pressure from the established core of senior members at many member's clubs locally to return to the old turn-up-and-play model. I have no doubt that they will get their way.

However, I get the feeling that many (particularly those with families) have appreciated being able to schedule their golf around their home/work-lives due to knowing exactly what time they'll tee-off, and would like to retain the booking systems.
We'll see next year, but other than one stroppy old guy who just refuses to use the internet (his son has to do all his bookings for him), our booking system has been massively popular, and, I have to say, I was one who wasn't looking forward to it, but it's been a revelation. Our committee has been really strong in the commitment to it as well, we won't be going back