Tee Times - Staying or Going

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Mandofred

Visit site
Looks o

Looks like people are forming roll ups in the hope it guarantees them a game at the weekend.

Don't blame them if that's what you need to do.

Good luck tomorrow, hope you get a game.
Nope, not really. The two later in the day I think might be new ones. The morning ones were established years before lockdowns. The SODS one I am in started back in the 60's I think. People keep misunderstanding what a decent roll up is......anybody in the club can show up at these times and get a game. They WILL get a game. I've never seen anybody not get in.

D

Deleted member 3432

Nope, not really. The two later in the day I think might be new ones. The morning ones were established years before lockdowns. The SODS one I am in started back in the 60's I think. People keep misunderstanding what a decent roll up is......anybody in the club can show up at these times and get a game. They WILL get a game. I've never seen anybody not get in.

What happens if 300 turn up tomorrow?
Extreme I know but potentially that could happen or half a dozen turn up and the course is not getting used.

My dislike for them from experience is hanging around waiting to tee off ages after I have arrived at the club if not drawn near the start. Its time wasted in my day......

Hated both that and the alternative of turning up and hoping for the best. Many times I simply just went home after seeing the queue.

Love having a tee time, arrive, warm up, play and go home. Love it.

Mandofred

Visit site
What happens if 300 turn up tomorrow?
Extreme I know but potentially that could happen or half a dozen turn up and the course is not getting used.

My dislike for them from experience is hanging around waiting to tee off ages after I have arrived at the club if not drawn near the start. Its time wasted in my day......

Hated both that and the alternative of turning up and hoping for the best. Many times I simply just went home after seeing the queue.

Love having a tee time, arrive, warm up, play and go home. Love it.
Yep.....extreme. Hasn't happened in ??? years. I prefer to look at the positives of a few people not showing up.....pace of play on the golf course would be a lot nicer.

Mandofred

Visit site
What if you don't want to play in a roll up but want to play golf sometime between 8 and 9.
What if you want to play in a roll up but can't because you can't get a tee time? What if there is a visiting party booked in at that 8-9 time and you can't play? What if there is a competition the morning you want to play, but you don't want to play in the comp? What if you want to play on a Tuesday morning, but it's blocked out for the ladies? etc etc etc. People just aren't going to be happy unless they get things the way that they want.....unfortunately, everybody doesn't want the same thing.

I'm one of those people that if the clubs I am playing at stopped all roll ups and went straight booking for everything.....that would be the end of golf for me.

D

Deleted member 3432

Yep.....extreme. Hasn't happened in ??? years. I prefer to look at the positives of a few people not showing up.....pace of play on the golf course would be a lot nicer.

The golfing landscape has changed since covid arrived, you may just get a number of the newer golfers/members turning up so how can numbers be estimated?

People not turning up is a negative for the rest of the membership and the club.

Mandofred

Visit site
The golfing landscape has changed since covid arrived, you may just get a number of the newer golfers/members turning up so how can numbers be estimated?

People not turning up is a negative for the rest of the membership and the club.
That's one way of looking at it. I know lot's of people who disagree with that view. Not saying I'm right.....just that people just don't want to give up with things going the way that they want......everybody wants things to go in their way.....that's normal behavior.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well, the home club is finally starting up roll ups in the morning. The message from a week or so ago worded things like "this is a trial" etc so they didn't really commit to anything. I tend to think it could turn into a cluster "insert bad word". They have not block off times, just opened BRS that has wording of no bookings needed. We suddenly have even more roll ups than we had before the lockdowns. We had too many then which feeds straight into why a lot of people hate them....and in the prime time slots. Here is what they have for an update....7 different roll ups!!.....madness, and the message said if anybody else might want to start a roll up to let them know. I play in the SODS, usually about 25 on a Saturday....the one behind us usually has similar numbers. But.....it also shows how popular roll ups are at the club.
The Slaughter’s Group – 7.30
Golf the Sequel – 7.50
S Club - 8.20
SODS - 8.55
GASS -10.00
Fez Group - 11.00
Mike’s Rabbits - 13.00

There hasn't been any request for info from the members, or advice on whether to at least have times booked for these roll ups so people who aren't paying attention show up trying to play.....although the booking system has been around long enough that nobody should be doing that any more. I kind of think they are hoping it goes bad tomorrow so they can revert back to straight booking? no idea since they really haven't been keeping us informed with what's going on in "the committee".

So from 7:30 through to 12 you can only play if you are in the roll up.

Thank god we have got rid of such a restrictive system

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
What if you want to play in a roll up but can't because you can't get a tee time? What if there is a visiting party booked in at that 8-9 time and you can't play? What if there is a competition the morning you want to play, but you don't want to play in the comp? What if you want to play on a Tuesday morning, but it's blocked out for the ladies? etc etc etc. People just aren't going to be happy unless they get things the way that they want.....unfortunately, everybody doesn't want the same thing.

I'm one of those people that if the clubs I am playing at stopped all roll ups and went straight booking for everything.....that would be the end of golf for me.

I should have included the words "On a Saturday morning if you work all week" some people can only play once a week.

Mandofred

Visit site
I should have included the words "On a Saturday morning if you work all week" some people can only play once a week.
I agree. As I posted earlier and in the past, those prime times on a Saturday or Sunday morning shouldn't be locked up for roll ups. Maybe one roll up at the most, any others should be put later in the day (in my opinion) to allow just for what you mention to happen. But.....both sides on the whole just want things to go their way and are not willing to compromise. I am.....but I seem to be in the minority. Compromise.......everybody should be willing to......but they aren't.

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree. As I posted earlier and in the past, those prime times on a Saturday or Sunday morning shouldn't be locked up for roll ups. Maybe one roll up at the most, any others should be put later in the day (in my opinion) to allow just for what you mention to happen. But.....both sides on the whole just want things to go their way and are not willing to compromise. I am.....but I seem to be in the minority. Compromise.......everybody should be willing to......but they aren't.
Your idea of compromise is allowing roll up to have the tee booked for certain periods in the day - that’s not a compromise that’s allowing you and your group what you want

A compromise is allowing every single member the same right to the tee times every single day - that is treating every member the same

Mandofred

Visit site
Your idea of compromise is allowing roll up to have the tee booked for certain periods in the day - that’s not a compromise that’s allowing you and your group what you want

A compromise is allowing every single member the same right to the tee times every single day - that is treating every member the same
Wrong as usual. I'm fine with a roll up at noon or some other time. It's called still keeping a roll up, but compromising to allow others to have those prime times. The club does this for all kinds of things......roll up, comps, visiting parties,members booking several slots for their friends, ladies mornings, etc etc. Should the club stop all of those as well.....so that everybody has a chance at those times?

Again I come back to this topic......can a membership club run things the way that they want? I think they do......do you? Do I think they can get rid of all roll ups?....absolutely....as long as that is what the majority of the membership votes for. If a club doesn't run things the way I can live with.....I'll stop being a member. I like golf.....but there are other things I can do.

D

Deleted member 15344

Wrong as usual. I'm fine with a roll up at noon or some other time. It's called still keeping a roll up, but compromising to allow others to have those prime times. The club does this for all kinds of things......roll up, comps, visiting parties,members booking several slots for their friends, ladies mornings, etc etc. Should the club stop all of those as well.....so that everybody has a chance at those times?

Again I come back to this topic......can a membership club run things the way that they want? I think they do......do you? Do I think they can get rid of all roll ups?....absolutely....as long as that is what the majority of the membership votes for. If a club doesn't run things the way I can live with.....I'll stop being a member. I like golf.....but there are other things I can do.

Comps - open to all
Societies - always up to the club when they want to allow them
Ladies tee times - no
Men’s tee times - no
Same with seniors , juniors

No one should get any preference depending on their sex and age

Yes every should be given a chance at any time outside club comps and any bookings for societies

That’s an all inclusive golf club

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
This is a fascinating discussion. Our club held a postal ballot. The options were to return to a casual system of turn up and play, or maintain a booking system 'with capacity to adapt to members' demands'. 57% of members replied,the vote being 56/44 in favour of a booking system. Management have now instituted a system where every tee time on every day of the week has to be booked, with free times 7 days before being available to visitors. Their concept of 'capacity to adapt to members demands' is a little different to mine. I thought it meant that a hybrid system would be brought in. I can see trouble ahead.......

To me that means reserving tee times for members only, during high period of demand. If they meant a hybrid booking/roll up system surely that is what they would have said.

Mandofred

Visit site
Comps - open to all Roll ups-open to all
Societies - always up to the club when they want to allow them So it's ok to block out for the events that you agree with?
Ladies tee times - no
Men’s tee times - no
Same with seniors , juniors So no more Senior, Junior or Womens comps since they aren't open to all?

No one should get any preference depending on their sex and age

Yes every should be given a chance at any time outside club comps and any bookings for societies

That’s an all inclusive golf club
From what you have written, it's ok for the club to run things as they see fit. Exactly as I was stating they should be able to do.

D

Deleted member 15344

From what you have written, it's ok for the club to run things as they see fit. Exactly as I was stating they should be able to do.

Roll ups - dictated to when you play and who you play with , are ladies and juniors allowed to play in every single one of your rolls ups

Societies- a must for many clubs to bring in income , arranged normally at times when clubs are quiet

Club comps tee times - as I said open to all and have seperate results for various sections

Comps for ladies , juniors etc at times that suit the whole club

All other tee times open to every single person in the club to be able to play whoever they want

Mandofred

Visit site
Roll ups - dictated to when you play and who you play with , are ladies and juniors allowed to play in every single one of your rolls ups I keep saying this, you don't seem to be reading what I'm writing. If you show up.....you get to play in the roll up if you are a member.

Societies- a must for many clubs to bring in income , arranged normally at times when clubs are quiet So it's ok for the club to block out these times so I can't book a time?

Club comps tee times - as I said open to all and have seperate results for various sections So men can play in Womens comps....and vice versa? These are club comps.

Comps for ladies , juniors etc at times that suit the whole club Again.....what if I want to book a time to play when these are taking place?

All other tee times open to every single person in the club to be able to play whoever they want

Still sounds like you think the club can run things the way they see fit........we both agree on this.

wjemather

Visit site
We'll see next year, but other than one stroppy old guy who just refuses to use the internet (his son has to do all his bookings for him), our booking system has been massively popular, and, I have to say, I was one who wasn't looking forward to it, but it's been a revelation. Our committee has been really strong in the commitment to it as well, we won't be going back
No need to wait. It's already happened.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If the membership of my club was unhappy with the number of rollups through the week for which the tee is reserved (5 in total - including two ladies RUs and one on Saturday morning) then the members would raise the issue at our AGM. This has never happened.

Indeed there is pressure on the club from a second Saturday early morning rollup comprising a core of about 20 regulars to have tee reserved. That is being resisted due to there being the late morning one. Part of the logic is that as well as being a great vehicle for introducing new members and consolidating and enhancing the ‘togetherness’ ethos of the club, the members who play in the rollup ups tend to put a lot of money over the counter for food and drink before and after playing. Organising a rollup with tee booking but without tee reservation is a bit of a hassle.

All joining the club are fully aware of the rollups as the club puts them to prospective members as an important and valuable aspect of membership.

I note that I have just checked and the four tee times immediately before our late morning rollup block reservation remain fully available as do the three immediately following it. Also as we only have 20 entered in the RU I expect 4 or 5 tee times from 11:15am to be released shortly for general booking.

Last edited: