Taylormade Stealth

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hmmm, not sure physics really works like that.....

"Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to any change in its velocity. This includes changes to the object's speed, or direction of motion. An aspect of this property is the tendency of objects to keep moving in a straight line at a constant speed when no forces act upon them."

I think what I'm suggesting is what it's intended to mean or refer to; it's intended to counteract a force that would otherwise impact on inertia. Not sure what that means in practical terms.

Not sure it stands up to the tests of physics either, it's not my field of expertise.

JGolfer

Visit site
Recently got fit for a Sim 2 max. Suffice to say, I am glad I did, as purely on aesthetics I would pick the Sim 2, everyday, but I am a fan of when manufacturers try something different. It’s not for me, but can see the lure some may have.

sunshine

Visit site
Rory posted a video on instagram hitting the Stealth. Tiger too. And Sergio. And Dustin. That’s enough to sell millions ?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I think I like it. I have owned one or two of the funkier Cobra's in my time including my favourite, the ZL Encore with the cherry red crown. But I would have to see one and try it to be sure.

It won't happen though, not at nearly £500 a shot. That's two of my current drivers and some change towards a new putter.

I also saw on Clubhouse Golf that there are upgrade shafts for £300, that would be one expensive club. What is more ridiculous they are charging for some of the upgrade grips, greedy gets.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I like the looks of the club - still not sure about the red face though. I brought my driver in 2020 so I reckon it's still got a season or two left before I get another one.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
For the last good few years, new drivers just seem much of a muchness, no real differences in tech (other than proclaimed 10 - 15 yard increases). For the first time in a while, it seems that there is something obviously innovative in this driver. I know Callaway tried a carbon face about 20 years ago, but I don't remember it, probably because it didn't hang around long. A carbon face is certainly something different to that which we use on a regular basis. By most accounts I've seen, the biggest increase is the ball speed due to saving 20+ grams in the face weight. I don't know how much a general joe like me can make use of that, but, I think I'd be interested in trying one out. My biggest concern, which has no substance other than not knowing, would be how resilient the carbon face actually is over the long term. Presumably TM have had them on a robot hitting 1000's of shots at full tilt, so we'll just have to wait and see. I can't say I'm super excited about it, but would certainly like to give one a try and see what it's like.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Despite being more than happy with my Epic Flash, and not getting on with the Sim drivers when I tested them, I am definitely interested in giving this a go - just out of morbid curiosity more than any real desire to buy one.

It would have to be on course though. Thankfully one of the lads we play with is an absolute fiend for Taylormade so I imagine I'll see it in his bag soon enough to give it a whirl.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
For the last good few years, new drivers just seem much of a muchness, no real differences in tech (other than proclaimed 10 - 15 yard increases). For the first time in a while, it seems that there is something obviously innovative in this driver. I know Callaway tried a carbon face about 20 years ago, but I don't remember it, probably because it didn't hang around long. A carbon face is certainly something different to that which we use on a regular basis. By most accounts I've seen, the biggest increase is the ball speed due to saving 20+ grams in the face weight. I don't know how much a general joe like me can make use of that, but, I think I'd be interested in trying one out. My biggest concern, which has no substance other than not knowing, would be how resilient the carbon face actually is over the long term. Presumably TM have had them on a robot hitting 1000's of shots at full tilt, so we'll just have to wait and see. I can't say I'm super excited about it, but would certainly like to give one a try and see what it's like.
It was the C4 and it was the biggest turd of golf club..ever!
I'll admit to liking the crown but, after seeing it a lot on the 'net, I'm not sure about the red face either..or the durability
And if the Pros are picking up 2 or 3 mph ball speed - how much will we see at 20 -30 mph lower swing speeds..?
My driver is 7 years old now and I'm always wondering if I'll get more out of the newer versions. But I'm hitting mine so well its making it a hard decision.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Honestly think its gross to look at. Dont like the headcover either

Just not a big fan of black and red together.

SIM clubs looked the business.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Physics aside ( don’t know much about )
If you make a head so light will it be longer off the tee given there is no mass. (Weight )
If you made a carbon hammer so light it would not hammer a nail in as it’s got no weight behind it.
Speed is the thing that creates distance.
My question is can a head go so light that it starts to lose distance.?

sunshine

Visit site
Despite being more than happy with my Epic Flash, and not getting on with the Sim drivers when I tested them, I am definitely interested in giving this a go - just out of morbid curiosity more than any real desire to buy one.

Morbid curiosity… are you planning on killing someone with it?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Physics aside ( don’t know much about )
If you make a head so light will it be longer off the tee given there is no mass. (Weight )
If you made a carbon hammer so light it would not hammer a nail in as it’s got no weight behind it.
Speed is the thing that creates distance.
My question is can a head go so light that it starts to lose distance.?
I'm guessing yes.
Taking your analogy of a hammer the speed you generate plus the weight drives the nail in but only by (depending on the material) small amounts, with a tap hammer driving it in less than a claw hammer which in turn would be less than a sledgehammer. You could generate more speed with a tap hammer than a sledgehammer, so presumably it is the weight (inertia) that is creating the force.
Try hitting a golf ball on a tee peg with a sledgehammer and although the inertia would be massive the ball would go nowhere due to a lack of speed.
From my own amateur deduction I would conclude that you are right in that speed is the key, coupled with the optimum weight distributed in a manner to produce the highest MOI.

I don't know as I haven't seen any figures, but I would hazard a guess that the Stealth driver is no lighter than any other and that and weight savings from the face are distributed elsewhere.

Edit:
A quick google, and I've discovered that Taylormade say;

The reason we’re doing this first and foremost is for speed,” Bystedt said. “Normally, we’ve talked about how when something is lighter we’re using that discretionary weight and moving it lower or moving it back. Well, this is not that story. We’re not going to say this is a weight savings for improving mass properties. Essentially we’re taking mass away from the face and putting it in the body of the club. So the part of the club that moves momentum into the ball is now heavier. So the momentum transfer is more efficient. That’s why this face delivers additional speed.”