Taylormade Stealth

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I appreciate the mocking of the marketing guff that comes with any driver release is well deserved, but if this driver is delivering the 2mph - 6mph increased ball speed for the pros that Finch mentioned in his video yesterday (dunno on source, presumably TM?), does that not suggest there could be something in this carbon face tech?

I'm not saying that your average golfer is going to necessarily see a noticeable benefit, but equally, I don't think it's right to completely dismiss the tech as being no better than last years models until that's been proven.

sunshine

Visit site
I think the Stealth comes with a matching wheel barrow accessory to carry your big balls down the fairway after you've smashed another drive 350 down the middle.

sunshine

Visit site
It certainly looks like a big step forward. A red face is a game changer for me, and the red flashes elsewhere and even on the head cover shows how hard their boffins have been working. I though the yellow in the R7 would be the pinnacle of driver evolution, but when they went white, I was awestruck. The R11 just screamed 'ALIGHNMENT!!!' to me. Then they upped the anti again to the light blue of the SLDR. I just wouldnt have thought it possible, and the gains were phenomenal. They sort of stalled, lets be honest, when it was back to yellow in the M of the M1. But pulled it out of the bag again with the rich metallic blue which I thought was the most fairway finding colour ever.
Until now. A red face. Who says golf drivers arent constantly evolving and worth upgrading to ?

You cant have it all though. Imagine a Stealth, with adjustable sole plate technology, with movable weights and slidable weights, and a white crown. With yellow flashes around it in an arc. Insert South park gif of Randy here.

This is brilliant, and also probably true. Let's not ignore the evolution in headcovers too, they've really contributed to performance.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Its been ridiculous, I miss the halcyon days where drivers would just turn up unannounced on shelfs, then 3 weeks later crossfield would hit both the new version, and the one its replacing 262 and say what a nice colour it is and that he definitely could game it....

nickh

Visit site
Tiny marginal gains, more marketing BS (...WTaF is an 'Inertia Generator??? Inertia is doing nothing, not changing, remaining the same; so how do you generate nothing??).

Biggest question mark will be around the longevity of the carbon face. Carbon hockey sticks degrade from their first strike and over time become brittle before finally failing.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tiny marginal gains, more marketing BS (...WTaF is an 'Inertia Generator??? Inertia is doing nothing, not changing, remaining the same; so how do you generate nothing??).

Biggest question mark will be around the longevity of the carbon face. Carbon hockey sticks degrade from their first strike and over time become brittle before finally failing.

I presume it is saying that the "Inertia Generator" generates the forces required to achieve inertia. I.e. offsetting some other counteracting force that would prevent inertia.

Got no idea what that would mean in practical terms though. Pretty sure the Sim had the same thing?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I appreciate the mocking of the marketing guff that comes with any driver release is well deserved, but if this driver is delivering the 2mph - 6mph increased ball speed for the pros that Finch mentioned in his video yesterday (dunno on source, presumably TM?), does that not suggest there could be something in this carbon face tech?

I'm not saying that your average golfer is going to necessarily see a noticeable benefit, but equally, I don't think it's right to completely dismiss the tech as being no better than last years models until that's been proven.
If you believe it. I'll personally look more towards Rick's video where is does diddly squat. Also, how is a driver delivering 6 mph more ball speed? Drivers are already that close to the limit pro's are being caught out on tour with illegal drivers. With that in mind where does this additional ball speed come from because it isn't swing speed!
No doubt people will get this driver because the fitter (who is making profit) will find the golfer 30 yards more that will never actually be seen on the course and around we go again until the next launch.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

This is probably what Taylor Made are going for. Designed to break after 13 months so you need to purchase a new one - just like iPhones.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
According to MyGolfSpy, TM have said they will never make another Titanium faced driver.....so it looks like it's here to stay.
Until they change their minds.....;)

D

Deleted member 29109

According to MyGolfSpy, TM have said they will never make another Titanium faced driver.....so it looks like it's here to stay.

Next year will be a Titanium Carbon composite ?

Of course they will fail. But let’s not pretend that metal and wooden clubs don’t fail.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you believe it. I'll personally look more towards Rick's video where is does diddly squat. Also, how is a driver delivering 6 mph more ball speed? Drivers are already that close to the limit pro's are being caught out on tour with illegal drivers. With that in mind where does this additional ball speed come from because it isn't swing speed!
No doubt people will get this driver because the fitter (who is making profit) will find the golfer 30 yards more that will never actually be seen on the course and around we go again until the next launch.

I view all of these claims with a reasonable degree of scepticism, and if the claim were being made about a driver that was simply last years with a different paint job, I'd dismiss it.

However, the carbon face is new and it is different, and it gives the potential for something different to come out of it. That could well be nothing, it might even be likely to be nothing, but I don't think that has been proven at this stage.

Your question on where the speed comes from is a valid one, I posted a link to this article earlier on in the thread, but I think it's interesting and worth posting again: https://mygolfspy.com/no-driver-distance-isnt-maxed-out/

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
They need a club face that gives feedback. If you nail it, it turns bright red. If you practically miss it, ice blue, and there is a spectrum in between. It could also have an Alexa style voice which says "Are you got to hit the ball sometime soon?" after a particularly weak effort.

I imagine you're not actually too far off on that - can easy envisage information from the head being relayed to your phone.

D

Deleted member 29109

The best and most surprising fact about this new driver is. You don’t have to buy it if you don’t want to!

sunshine

Visit site
They need a club face that gives feedback. If you nail it, it turns bright red. If you practically miss it, ice blue, and there is a spectrum in between. It could also have an Alexa style voice which says "Are you got to hit the ball sometime soon?" after a particularly weak effort.

A sleek all black piece of kitt with a flashy red bit at the front, that tells you what you are doing and even makes sarcastic comments.

knight-rider-car-kitt.jpg

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
(...WTaF is an 'Inertia Generator??? Inertia is doing nothing

For the technically minded, you can think of it as a flux capacitor with non linear gaussian coefficient of restitution for a quasi linear launch tensor to optimise distance.

The majority of the target market is not technical, and so the aim of the club manufacturers is to come up with cosmetic excuses for pseudo technical bullshit to dazzle the vulnerable.

What really is damning is that in coming up with that sort of nonsense shows that there is not any real science behind it.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

I would say that's entirely plausible. Their goal is to have a reason to differentiate themselves from others and fuel the marketing puff. Actual improvement is not required in the golf club 'evolution' world.

Still, this model is black, so beats me how anyone is ever going to be able to aim it properly. Cue soaring prices of R13s, SLDRs, etc.

sunshine

Visit site

If / when the other OEM's all bring out carbon faces we will know if it's more than a gimmick.

It could be the next big thing, or it could end up like square headed drivers.