Taylormade Stealth

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For the last good few years, new drivers just seem much of a muchness, no real differences in tech (other than proclaimed 10 - 15 yard increases). For the first time in a while, it seems that there is something obviously innovative in this driver.

Innovative in cosmetics and marketing potential, but that needs to be distinguished from innovation leading to better performance, let alone better golf. The latter is not evident so far, and we know manufacturers have struggled to add anything of real substance for at least 15 years. Most of the 'tech' (laughs) has its goal of being cosmetics disguised as substance. TM may well have hit the jackpot on this one nonetheless. Even if it delivers no practical benefit, if other makers cannot duplicate it, thenTM have a clear improvement on the 'Now with blue flashes for lower air friction' standard type marketing patter.
It's the market they are in - there are so many suckers in golf with money to spare, you don't have to improve anything, just create desire due to newness and cosmetic tweaks. It's like ladies with handbags and shoes.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Innovative in cosmetics and marketing potential, but that needs to be distinguished from innovation leading to better performance, let alone better golf. The latter is not evident so far, and we know manufacturers have struggled to add anything of real substance for at least 15 years. Most of the 'tech' (laughs) has its goal of being cosmetics disguised as substance. TM may well have hit the jackpot on this one nonetheless. Even if it delivers no practical benefit, if other makers cannot duplicate it, then TM have a clear improvement on the 'Now with blue flashes for lower air friction' standard type marketing patter.

I think the carbon face is a bit more innovative than just looks. Like I said, certainly a change from the normal titanium face. I agree, whether it can improve anything for the likes of us mortals remains to be seen. I'm still fairly sceptical on that, not really excited about the driver itself either. To be honest, am happy with the Cobra driver I currently use, but, I'm interested enough to want to try the carbon face, if only to have a bang with it and see how it goes.

That's the market they are in - there are so many suckers in golf with money to spare, you don't have to improve anything, just create desire due to newness and cosmetic tweaks. It's like ladies with handbags and shoes.

I'm not a massive TM fan, but to be fair to them, and the other golf manufacturers, new models and cosmetic tweaks sell. Most corporates look to improve the products they sell, or bring out new designs, whether it be golf clubs, cars, football boots, training shoes, clothing etc. etc. It's the market they're all in. The Adidas trainers I recently bought don't improve on my existing pair, other than they are new, clean and smart, and I like them. I'm not going to blame TM, or any other manufacturer for bringing out new gear, it's what they should do. I only buy if I'm in the market to buy, and when I do, I'm likely buying the latest model.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Jack Reacher explains that energy = mass x velocity squared. Which means that if you increase the velocity the amount of energy transfer goes up substantially, whereas an increase in mass doesn't make as big a difference. So, if the head is lighter then it goes faster.
Jack was booting a door down at the time, so not sure if that translates into a golf shot. Who do I give my £500 to?

sunshine

Visit site
As far as looks go then, it is not dissimilar from my TaylorMade RBZ2, pictured here with my other 9 drivers.

View attachment 40397

Nice collection. You look like a man who knows stuff... has this constant cycle of releasing new improved products always been the case for golf? I'm guessing the answer is yes, otherwise we would still be playing with hickory and feathery balls. But maybe the frequency has accelerated?

sunshine

Visit site
Innovative in cosmetics and marketing potential, but that needs to be distinguished from innovation leading to better performance, let alone better golf. The latter is not evident so far, and we know manufacturers have struggled to add anything of real substance for at least 15 years. Most of the 'tech' (laughs) has its goal of being cosmetics disguised as substance. TM may well have hit the jackpot on this one nonetheless. Even if it delivers no practical benefit, if other makers cannot duplicate it, thenTM have a clear improvement on the 'Now with blue flashes for lower air friction' standard type marketing patter.
It's the market they are in - there are so many suckers in golf with money to spare, you don't have to improve anything, just create desire due to newness and cosmetic tweaks. It's like ladies with handbags and shoes.

Spot on.

Anyone remember Ping's turbulators? :ROFLMAO:

The classic case study of this would be TM RBZ2, which was perceived as just a new paint job. TM have admitted this was a massive mistake as it destroyed a lot of their credibility because the RBZ was a super product.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Nice collection. You look like a man who knows stuff... has this constant cycle of releasing new improved products always been the case for golf? I'm guessing the answer is yes, otherwise we would still be playing with hickory and feathery balls. But maybe the frequency has accelerated?

The Confidence (1978 bottom right of photo) was very innovative in that it had a one-piece sole-plate and face insert. Hitting the ball with metal when playing a wood did not catch on much at that time. Metal inserts had been tried long before, but this one was a precursor to the full metal head. I do like the matching 3 and 4 wood with this one.
Of those pictured, probably the Big Bertha was a "real" game changer with many other manufacturers playing catch-up as a result.
Heads have got larger since the Big Bertha and its rivals.
In the last 15 years the only changes are that some have pretty colours and patterns and some have intricate little shapes on the sole.
Newer ones are "adjustable". That's nothing new, because my hands and my swing have always been adjustable.

Last edited:

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
TXG have a few videos up now, they're pretty positive about the clubs.

My local pro has told me his fitting kit will be in within the next week and a half and said I can borrow the Stealth driver head to test against my SIM2.
My miss is generally high toe, of the Stealth can keep my spin rate more stable with better ball speed on this part of the face I'll more than likely get one.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My pro is getting a demo in within the next 3 weeks and so I'm going to book a demo using his GC Quad on the range. Not overly convinced I'll see anything to justify a £500 price tag. He is a member of the Foremost group and I've asked him to source a 10.5 (regular) Sim 2 given the positive feedback v the Stealth I've seen online

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone remember Ping's turbulators? :ROFLMAO:

I think they realised their mistake there that, doing stuff with the top of the club is pointless. All the best design and 'tech' effort goes in to the underside of the club, as that is what people see when they look at all the bags of grip-down drivers in a shop. Even google the Stealth and that's the pics that come up. So really, golfers buy drivers depending on how the like the look of its backside...

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
That Persimmon one fourth from the left looks nice.
I had Mizuno ones like that once.
Fourth from left with the black insert is a Craigton of Scotland laminated. I agree it is one of the best looking ones.
There are only two persimmons, 2nd from left is a Merit (USA) and extreme right is a Daiwa Trypower.