Blackballed
Visit site
The poppy is NOT

A symbol of death or a sign of support for war
A reflection of politics or religion
Red to reflect the colour of blood

Straight from the RBL

I underlined the important part.

Of course the British Legion will say that and refuse to accept the other viewpoint - they're the one who stand to benefit!

Do you often see MacMillan pointing out how most of their money that goes into cancer research fails to yield any benefit whatsoever? No, of course not. They are biased.

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
It doesn't matter what the Poppy actually means, unfortunately there are people and groups who see it as a Political symbol and this won't change.

Still hopeful FIFA backdown.

It doesn't even matter how good the intentions, some things become politicised and the poppy is one.

Fifa are right on this one, even if that's a bitter pill for most in this country, it's just the thin end of the wedge.

D

Deleted member 16999

It doesn't even matter how good the intentions, some things become politicised and the poppy is one.

Fifa are right on this one, even if that's a bitter pill for most in this country, it's just the thin end of the wedge.

You're probably correct, but they did allow armbands a few years back so they themselves are in an odd position.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I just don't see why teams of footballers feel the need to show their remembrance of those who fought and died during the ears whilst playing a football match....
Wear their Poppys on the way to the ground, wear them afterwards. Why do they need to wear them during the game..?
I just don't see it......

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I can only reflect on the thought that if it matters so much, why is it only recently that there has seemed to be a need for footballers to wear a poppy on the field of play. There is no need - and all it does is stir up unseemly debate and controversy. An international footballer having a poppy on their shirt tells me nothing about the thoughts and feelings of the player, because we and they know that they'd be criticised for not wearing a shirt with one if the rest were. The poppy therefore becomes rather meaningless.

I will be wearing my poppy with pride, sadness and gratitude - reflecting on my grandfather in the Dardanelles and the Somme; and my father bobbing about the Med and the Red Sea in a merchant ship - watching ships in his convoys being torpedoed. And for all the loss of life then and now, much of it needless but also much of it for our freedom and values.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

No, it is political. The Poppy is a symbol relating to war. For every winner in a war there is a loser, one good side one supposedly bad side. Money goes from the sale of poppies to help service people who need help. I buy my poppy, I want them to be helped. Not everyone around the world agrees with the causes they were fighting in though, in fact many agressively disagree. For them the Poppy symbolises British aggression not rememberance.

FIFA are not picking on the Poppy, the ban is on all symbols. What if a team wore a symbol commemorating the losses suffered by ISIS? Would that be okay? Same for Al Qaeda? A Palestinian team wearing something that prods the Isreali's?

We see the good relating to a Poppy but not everyone else does. How do you resolve that? Ban all symbols and then no one can compalin. Look at the bigger picture here.

In this case it is proposed that the Poppy be worn by two teams from the same country so who is it that is likely to be offended?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll be wearing mine with pride, remembering my Grandfather who was one of the first soldiers to walk into Auschwitz, and who never spoke about what he saw there. He wrote it down, put it in a box, and no one opened it till after his death.. I'll also take the opportunity to remember those of my family who died in the German Military...

D

Deleted member 18588

Easier to have a blanket ban than to introduce grey areas...

You may well be right but it still does not explain who, in this case, is likely to be offended.

I can't imagine that many outside these islands will be paying much attention to the game.

D

Deleted member 15344

Easier to have a blanket ban than to introduce grey areas...

The problem is

FIFA allowed England to wear poppies in 2011

Earlier in the year Ireland wore on their shirt a rememberance to the Easter rising in a friendly

FIFA has always been full of grey areas

Also seems IRB World Rugby have no issues with the England Rugby team wearing poppies on their tops for the match against SA

If only FIFA were so strong against the corruption within their own ranks

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What I don;t understand is, what difference does it make to anyone if they don't wear Poppies?

Do you observe remembrance less? Do you lose respect for the individual footballers? Does the poppy appeal raise less money (this one I would actually be interested in, but I doubt it happens).

This all seems to be a storm in a teacup, in the grand scheme of things. Everyone has said they'll still be respecting Remembrance Sunday (I assume everyone who is offended by the lack of poppies will be at their local parade?). There will even still be a minutes silence I imagine.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that FIFA are somewhat "flexible" in their approach, it doesn't mean that they're wrong in this case (IMO obviously).

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Earlier in the year Ireland wore on their shirt a rememberance to the Easter rising in a friendly

The Irish matches were friendlies, and not a qualifying match which I understand is why the issue arose.

Re: your second point, I assume they should cancel all rules then, until they sort their own corruption? This is a non argument.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The problem is

FIFA allowed England to wear poppies in 2011

FIFA has always been full of grey areas

Also seems IRB World Rugby have no issues with the England Rugby team wearing poppies on their tops for the match against SA

Indeed. I wonder what it would need to change their stance on this?

D

Deleted member 16999

I can only reflect on the thought that if it matters so much, why is it only recently that there has seemed to be a need for footballers to wear a poppy on the field of play. There is no need - and all it does is stir up unseemly debate and controversy. An international footballer having a poppy on their shirt tells me nothing about the thoughts and feelings of the player, because we and they know that they'd be criticised for not wearing a shirt with one if the rest were. The poppy therefore becomes rather meaningless.

I will be wearing my poppy with pride, sadness and gratitude - reflecting on my grandfather in the Dardanelles and the Somme; and my father bobbing about the Med and the Red Sea in a merchant ship - watching ships in his convoys being torpedoed. And for all the loss of life then and now, much of it needless but also much of it for our freedom and values.

I served in the Military for 36 years and wore a Poppy on my Uniform at my place of work with no issue, the footballers are doing just that, why do we have to question their motives?
Let's remember it was the RBL who approached the FA some years back asking for them and their teams to support the Poppy Appeal, it has raised thousands if not millions for the RBL over the years.
If people have anger or frustration or questions about the footballers motives or feelings then maybe those comments should be directed to the FA or even the RBL, many of those footballers will also be wearing their Poppy with just as much pride as you or me, none of us know about their families and their service to this Country, except maybe Theo Wallcott, his father was Ex-RAF and was a member of the same Sgts' mess as me for 2 years and I can assure you his father proudly served.

D

Deleted member 15344

What I don;t understand is, what difference does it make to anyone if they don't wear Poppies?

Do you observe remembrance less? Do you lose respect for the individual footballers? Does the poppy appeal raise less money (this one I would actually be interested in, but I doubt it happens).

This all seems to be a storm in a teacup, in the grand scheme of things. Everyone has said they'll still be respecting Remembrance Sunday (I assume everyone who is offended by the lack of poppies will be at their local parade?). There will even still be a minutes silence I imagine.

The shirts with the poppies are sold of for the charity and raise a good amount of money for the fund

The problem is for me is that the poppy is a symbol for rememberance and people want to show that they remember what people did for us all - no one should ever be told they are not allowed to wear a poppy , just as it's personal choice not to wear one for whatever reasons people chose it's also personal choice to be allowed to wear one on the shirt. If every single player on the pitch wants to wear a poppy because they want to show respect and rememberance then why should they be stopped - they are wearing it for the right reasons.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In this case it is proposed that the Poppy be worn by two teams from the same country so who is it that is likely to be offended?

Bluewolf responded well but I would add to that that football is a worldwide game and this match will be televised, lots of people to offend there. It is also a world cup qualifier and as such is an official FIFA match. What applies to this game applies all over the world. If this was a friendly then I suspect there would not be an issue but it isn't.

D

Deleted member 15344

Bluewolf responded well but I would add to that that football is a worldwide game and this match will be televised, lots of people to offend there. It is also a world cup qualifier and as such is an official FIFA match. What applies to this game applies all over the world. If this was a friendly then I suspect there would not be an issue but it isn't.

So why are the IRB allowing the poppy to be worn on the England Rugby shirt ?

Is it because they are able to use common sense and understand the meaning behind it and allow teams to make their own respectful judgement call on the issue.

FIFA have previously allows poppies to be worn when England previously asked. Friendlies still will come under the blanket of FIFA rulings. The whole blanket ban business is full of holes

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I am sure that is am not the only one that feels that both UEFA and FIFA have lost touch with normal people. Both organisations were corrupt and filled with the wrong people. It MAY not be corrupt but is still filled with the wrong people. Change does not necessarily mean improvement. Listening to the woman spokesperson from Africa that represents FIFA on this matter. She says quote " We cannot make allowances for just one country". Now then me duck, Engalnd and Scotland are TWO countries which is why we are having a game of football. Two countries that actually wholeheartedly agree with being able to wear poppies.

Whilst am avin a whinge, UEFA and the champions league is boring and I mean proper boring. A normal prem game at City means, going to city square listening to live bands, pros talking about old games, competitions. Pre, half time and post match entertainment. Half time games, interviews, A few Bevvys if you want.

UEFA TURN UP, Play there champs league theme tune before the game which the City fans sing along to in there droves. Then that's it. Apart from fencing off some seats ( which means less supporters ) so you can see there official sponsors names, of which you cannot purchase at the ground like Heiniken and lays crisps. UEFA you are a boring, dull predictable establishment.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You would need to ask the IRB. My thoughts to that is the rugby world is a small one whereas football covers just about every country going. Far more people to keep happy so blanket bans are simpler.

Simple solution to this. Players wear poppies to and from the game. The FA and the SFA send players representing the team to the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday.