Switzerland seek Fifa arrests!

D

Deleted member 15344

And to hell with anyone else's views on how you do that?

That isn't the world we live in anymore.

Those people that we are remembering are the ones that fought to allow you to have your views and be able to freely speak them - maybe that's something to think about

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Those people that we are remembering are the ones that fought to allow you to have your views and be able to freely speak them - maybe that's something to think about

And to others it represents war crimes committed by the British Army - maybe that's something to think about.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just all seems a big fuss about nothing. As has been said, poppies on strips is a relatively recent trend and there are plenty of other ways to show respect. You could even argue that being drawn into such an unseemly argument is disrespectful in itself.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
...and IMO all so unnecessary. Instead - why don't the FA and SFA both donate an assumed fine of £20,000 each to the RBL rather than give it to FIFA.

Or stand up for what we believe in and wear the Poppy with pride.

Or do both. Wear the poppy on the shirt anyway and then when FIFA impose a fine, refuse to pay it but donate that amount to the RBL. Then if FIFA want to take it further tell them we'll see them in court and assume that they can provide incontrovertible proof that the poppy is a political symbol.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just all seems a big fuss about nothing. As has been said, poppies on strips is a relatively recent trend and there are plenty of other ways to show respect. You could even argue that being drawn into such an unseemly argument is disrespectful in itself.

This is indeed how I see it. Completely unnecessary for the SFA and FA to demand that players wear poppies as if this is a long-standing tradition being ruled out by FIFA. If it were I might well view things differently. But it's not.

D

Deleted member 16999

This is indeed how I see it. Completely unnecessary for the SFA and FA to demand that players wear poppies as if this is a long-standing tradition being ruled out by FIFA. If it were I might well view things differently. But it's not.
Surely traditions start with one and is then carried on? Can you advise when it will become tradition? ie, how many years?
They are not demanding anything, they made a request!

D

Deleted member 15344

Demand ? How do you know the players haven't been asked if they would wear the poppy on their shirt and they have all said yes we would ?

Remember that this was started when the RBL approached the FA for ideas on how football and indeed sport as whole could help with the poppy appeal

And teams from all sports made suggestion that they put a poppy on the shirt and then auction them off afterwards with proceeds going to the Poppy Appeal

For once you have sport and indeed football trying to give something back and remembering some of the most important people in our history and I for one applaud their actions. For me it's great to see all our sports teams honouring and remembering such an important event in our lives.

Traditions can be created and then continued on

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Demand ? How do you know the players haven't been asked if they would wear the poppy on their shirt and they have all said yes we would ?

Remember that this was started when the RBL approached the FA for ideas on how football and indeed sport as whole could help with the poppy appeal

And teams from all sports made suggestion that they put a poppy on the shirt and then auction them off afterwards with proceeds going to the Poppy Appeal

For once you have sport and indeed football trying to give something back and remembering some of the most important people in our history and I for one applaud their actions. For me it's great to see all our sports teams honouring and remembering such an important event in our lives.

Traditions can be created and then continued on

Alright to start a tradition - not alright if it against the rules. The players can all be photographed wearing a poppy on their team suits prior to the game or when entering the stadium - even when they walk on the pitch before the game in the suits. Does that not display and signify exactly what you are looking for?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Alright to start a tradition - not alright if it against the rules. The players can all be photographed wearing a poppy on their team suits prior to the game or when entering the stadium - even when they walk on the pitch before the game in the suits. Does that not display and signify exactly what you are looking for?

Which rule is that ?

Did you miss the point about the shirts being auctioned and raising valuable funds to such a great cause

What heck has been photographed wearing a poppy on a suit got to do with anything ?!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which rule is that ?

Did you miss the point about the shirts being auctioned and raising valuable funds to such a great cause

What heck has been photographed wearing a poppy on a suit got to do with anything ?!

As an aside, just how much does the shirt auction raise? And would it be more beneficial if the players gave their time to support this occasion?

D

Deleted member 15344

As an aside, just how much does the shirt auction raise? And would it be more beneficial if the players gave their time to support this occasion?

Chelsea for example raised around £40k for their shirts , same with Liverpool etc - the EFl teams raised £100k

I could only guess how much in total through all the teams in various sports they raise but reckon easily over a million or so

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Which rule is that ?

I thought the point of the players kit or armband displaying a poppy was to show support for the 'cause' - so the players can be seen to be doing so by wearing one before they get changed into their playing kit. As an aside - I didn't realise it was a fundraising opportunity.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Chelsea for example raised around £40k for their shirts , same with Liverpool etc - the EFl teams raised £100k

I could only guess how much in total through all the teams in various sports they raise but reckon easily over a million or so
If the players & the FA feel so strongly I'm sure they'll have a whip round & make a decent donation.

Personally I think they should be able to wear a poppy,but to keep banging on about shirt auctions isn't really the point.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Bit tricky when neither squad has been named. Who knows who will be included?

Personally I'm in the camp that it's a modern trend and while it doesn't contravene any PL rules it clearly does in the eyes of Fifa and where do you draw the line in terms on interpreting what is or isn't a political statement. Far simpler to comply with Fifa's request and both FA's making a donation. The shirt manufacturers could easily make a batch with a poppy on that could still be signed and sold off if raising money is such an issue.

What about the FIFA reaction. What if they impose points deductions and either or both sides fail to qualify? Would it really have been worth the fuss if the ultimate aim is missed and England in particular don't play in the finals. There are plenty of ways for the FA to get behind a massive poppy appeal without risking missing out

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

Personally I'm in the camp that it's a modern trend and while it doesn't contravene any PL rules it clearly does in the eyes of Fifa and where do you draw the line in terms on interpreting what is or isn't a political statement. Far simpler to comply with Fifa's request and both FA's making a donation. The shirt manufacturers could easily make a batch with a poppy on that could still be signed and sold off if raising money is such an issue.

What about the FIFA reaction. What if they impose points deductions and either or both sides fail to qualify? Would it really have been worth the fuss if the ultimate aim is missed and England in particular don't play in the finals. There are plenty of ways for the FA to get behind a massive poppy appeal without risking missing out

Don't know about England but the Scotland squad was named yesterday...

D

Deleted member 16999

The FA already support The RBL and CWGC and spend thousands in support of both, the raising of money through the shirts is secondary.

No English player(as far as we are aware) has refused to wear a Poppy.
FIFA has already sanctioned and allowed armbands under the same rules they currently have.

It is a visible show of support to National Remembrance, why should a foreign body be allowed to dictate how we in this Country do or do not show our support.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The FA already support The RBL and CWGC and spend thousands in support of both, the raising of money through the shirts is secondary.

No English player(as far as we are aware) has refused to wear a Poppy.
FIFA has already sanctioned and allowed armbands under the same rules they currently have.

It is a visible show of support to National Remembrance, why should a foreign body be allowed to dictate how we in this Country do or do not show our support.

I know Fifa have sanctioned armbands before so arguably have made a rod for their own backs with this intransigent stand this time. My concern as a football fan, is what backlash there will be when both sides wear them next week and if Fifa do nothing where do you then draw a line when other nations want their own symbols recognised.