Switzerland seek Fifa arrests!

D

Deleted member 16999

I know Fifa have sanctioned armbands before so arguably have made a rod for their own backs with this intransigent stand this time. My concern as a football fan, is what backlash there will be when both sides wear them next week and if Fifa do nothing where do you then draw a line when other nations want their own symbols recognised.
I don't care what other nations do, I'm not bothered if you do or don't wear a Poppy, each to their own, our FA wish to show respect by wearing a shirt with a Poppy on, if FIFA take points off us, leave FIFA, it's a corrupt organisation.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't care what other nations do, I'm not bothered if you do or don't wear a Poppy, each to their own, our FA wish to show respect by wearing a shirt with a Poppy on, if FIFA take points off us, leave FIFA, it's a corrupt organisation.

Leave FIFA??? Really? Go into an international wilderness of no international football. How long will the PL last then. Daft

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Leave FIFA??? Really? Go into an international wilderness of no international football. How long will the PL last then. Daft

Obviously the England team could no longer play in World Cups if we left FIFA but could we continue to play in the European Championships or is that also dependent on being a member of FIFA?

Why would the PL be affected by leaving FIFA? Isn't the PL under UEFA rather than FIFA? I don't understand why the PL would be affected as it is club rather than international football.

Genuine questions as I don't know.

D

Deleted member 16999

Why would they take points, all they did to the Argies when they had the team photo with the Falklands Banner was fine them?
And maybe, just maybe us leaving FIFA would be the catalyst for them to sort themselves out, they need us more than we need them imo.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Bit tricky when neither squad has been named. Who knows who will be included?

Personally I'm in the camp that it's a modern trend and while it doesn't contravene any PL rules it clearly does in the eyes of Fifa and where do you draw the line in terms on interpreting what is or isn't a political statement. Far simpler to comply with Fifa's request and both FA's making a donation. The shirt manufacturers could easily make a batch with a poppy on that could still be signed and sold off if raising money is such an issue.

What about the FIFA reaction. What if they impose points deductions and either or both sides fail to qualify? Would it really have been worth the fuss if the ultimate aim is missed and England in particular don't play in the finals. There are plenty of ways for the FA to get behind a massive poppy appeal without risking missing out

I agree

D

Deleted member 16999

I thought it was the whataboutery of the poppy lobby that dragged them into it?

One of the MP's the other day asked why FIFA allowed the Republic to wear a badge commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the Easter Uprising in March during a game.

FIFA have today started disciplinary proceedings against the ROI for wearing the badge!

It's getting stupid now!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One of the MP's the other day asked why FIFA allowed the Republic to wear a badge commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the Easter Uprising in March during a game.

FIFA have today started disciplinary proceedings against the ROI for wearing the badge!

It's getting stupid now!

St Johnstone were fined E20,000 (£14K) after a young laddie waved a Palestinian flag at a Europa Cup match against Spartak Trnava. He just thought it was a cool thing to do. StJ - 14K; FIFA sense of perspective - nil.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

It's getting stupid now!

Exactly, although it was always stupid and now it's getting stupider.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have made my views on this earlier and I appreciate that I am very much in the minority (here possibly of only one or two). But I am rather dismayed that the RBL has got involved in this very silly, unnecessary and unseemly argument - they risk becoming the poodles of the FA/SFA in it's forehead-to-forehead confrontation with FIFA.

When you are faced with a bully, the courageous and right thing to do is to step back and walk away with dignity. What you don't do is put your fists up and pull in mates who don't want to get in the fight but feel they have to support you. You walk away and the bully is left impotent and rather embarrassed - blustering away about how they won and calling you names - when everyone knows that they didn't and that their bullying failed to achieve the fight that they'd sought,

The FA/SFA need to step back and walk away with dignity retained - and make their support of fallen and injured serviceman the world over in a different way - and because they refused to engage with the bully then that support will be more widely recognised and appreciated.

D

Deleted member 16999

I have made my views on this earlier and I appreciate that I am very much in the minority (here possibly of only one or two). But I am rather dismayed that the RBL has got involved in this very silly, unnecessary and unseemly argument - they risk becoming the poodles of the FA/SFA in it's forehead-to-forehead confrontation with FIFA.

When you are faced with a bully, the courageous and right thing to do is to step back and walk away with dignity. What you don't do is put your fists up and pull in mates who don't want to get in the fight but feel they have to support you. You walk away and the bully is left impotent and rather embarrassed - blustering away about how they won and calling you names - when everyone knows that they didn't and that their bullying failed to achieve the fight that they'd sought,

The FA/SFA need to step back and walk away with dignity retained - and make their support of fallen and injured serviceman the world over in a different way - and because they refused to engage with the bully then that support will be more widely recognised and appreciated.
Or we stand up to the bully like we've always done and to those that have fallen when we've stepped up, we remember their sacrifice and remember them.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm sorry but can you show me where you are getting this idea from that the RBL are dragging the FA into a fight ?

The FA and SFA want to show remeberance and respect - there is no suggestion from anyone bar yourself that they are doing something they don't really want too

The FA and indeed any other FA will gain far more respect standing up to FIFA and showing their support for the poppy appeal.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm sorry but can you show me where you are getting this idea from that the RBL are dragging the FA into a fight ?

The FA and SFA want to show remeberance and respect - there is no suggestion from anyone bar yourself that they are doing something they don't really want too

The FA and indeed any other FA will gain far more respect standing up to FIFA and showing their support for the poppy appeal.

You got it wrong way round - it seems to me that the RBL have been dragged into the squabble between the FA/SFA and FIFA - I wished they hadn't. The squabble is unseemly and unworthy of their cause. The SFA and FA can demonstrate their support for Poppy Day in ways other than have their players wear a poppy on the field of play. There is little to be gained by this. The right thing to do is to walk away from the squabble with the dignity and with the respect retained that the fallen and wounded deserve.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You got it wrong way round - it seems to me that the RBL have been dragged into the squabble between the FA/SFA and FIFA - I wished they hadn't. The squabble is unseemly and unworthy of their cause. The SFA and FA can demonstrate their support for Poppy Day in ways other than have their players wear a poppy on the field of play. There is little to be gained by this. The right thing to do is to walk away from the squabble with the dignity and with the respect retained that the fallen and wounded deserve.

If the RBL doesn't 'fight' for its fallen comrades, who should? If the RBL walked away "with dignity" it would resemble the Judean Suicide Squad in The Life of Brian. "That showed 'em." I'm sure FIFA wouldn't give it a second thought if no one stood up to them.

They arrogant, dictatorial and corrupt, and they need people standing up against them if only for them to recalibrate their attitudes.

And don't forget, the fallen can't fight for themselves. Someone else has to...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If the RBL doesn't 'fight' for its fallen comrades, who should? If the RBL walked away "with dignity" it would resemble the Judean Suicide Squad in The Life of Brian. "That showed 'em." I'm sure FIFA wouldn't give it a second thought if no one stood up to them.

They arrogant, dictatorial and corrupt, and they need people standing up against them if only for them to recalibrate their attitudes.

And don't forget, the fallen can't fight for themselves. Someone else has to...

But the whole thing is totally undignified and so unnecessary. Have a minutes silence before the kick-off. Surely that is sufficient and it is in fact what should be done, The wearing of poppies by the players on the field is completely unnecessary and this whole thing now risks looking like the FA wanting to stick one up FIFA - and using this 'poppydebacle' as a means to an end.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
But the whole thing is totally undignified and so unnecessary. Have a minutes silence before the kick-off. Surely that is sufficient and it is in fact what should be done, The wearing of poppies by the players on the field is completely unnecessary and this whole thing now risks looking like the FA wanting to stick one up FIFA - and using this 'poppydebacle' as a means to an end.

It is totally undignified, in your opinion. If it was a political symbol I'd agree with you. FIFA are as guilty of politicising it as some of the media.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
One does wonder if England wore poppies on their kit during the 1988 Euro qualifier played on 11/11 against Yugoslavia......
And if not, why not.......?