Switzerland seek Fifa arrests!

D

Deleted member 18588

So until everything is perfect, they should ignore all of the rules?

Since when was the wearing of the poppy a political statement and as for the clash of colours in the two kits, players and officials would have to have such eyesight issues as to mean they should not be involved in the game.

I agree with Phil, FIFA need to sort out their priorities.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So whilst fans are causing riots in Poland and the corruption still rumbles on

FIFA's main issue is not allowing England , Wales and Scotland to wear poppies because they see them as "political" despite the players wanting to wear them to remember

And also informing Scotland they can't wear their blue strip against England because there is a one inch strip of white on the arm !!

Good to see they have their priorities sorted

FIFA were asked two time sensitive questions re England so have to give an answer. It doesn't mean they aren't looking into crowd trouble. Although that needs to be addressed by the countries respective fas first IMO.

As as to the kit. It may be a stupid answer from FIFA. But they're the away team aren't they? So hardly a disgrace to have to wear an away kit.

Also agree re poppies. Whilst clearly poppies mean well. FIFA are clear in their stance and have been for some time.

D

Deleted member 18588

FIFA were asked two time sensitive questions re England so have to give an answer. It doesn't mean they aren't looking into crowd trouble. Although that needs to be addressed by the countries respective fas first IMO.

As as to the kit. It may be a stupid answer from FIFA. But they're the away team aren't they? So hardly a disgrace to have to wear an away kit.

Also agree re poppies. Whilst clearly poppies mean well. FIFA are clear in their stance and have been for some time.

So in what way is the displaying of a poppy more of a political statement than kits that display a national emblem or flag.

FIFA's position on the Poppy only became apparent a few years ago when the England team wanted to follow the lead of club sides in supporting and publicising the RBL's fundraising campaign.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So in what way is the displaying of a poppy more of a political statement than kits that display a national emblem or flag.

FIFA's position on the Poppy only became apparent a few years ago when the England team wanted to follow the lead of club sides in supporting and publicising the RBL's fundraising campaign.
I meant fifas stance on politics having any interference in football. Nit just the poppy.

The poppy isnt isn't a national symbol like a flag. It has great meaning, but it can still be divisive and as such is nit allowed by fifa. Much like I'm sure nationalist symbols supporting other beliefs wouldn't be.

D

Deleted member 18588

I meant fifas stance on politics having any interference in football. Nit just the poppy.

The poppy isnt isn't a national symbol like a flag. It has great meaning, but it can still be divisive and as such is nit allowed by fifa. Much like I'm sure nationalist symbols supporting other beliefs wouldn't be.

But it is not a nationalist symbol, it is a symbol of remembrance and if it is such an issue to FIFA why did they sanction England wearing the symbol on black armbands against Spain in 2011?

D

Deleted member 16999

To me and the majority of people FIFA's stance is a disgrace and hopefully they will relent and allow the armbands, however, whether we like it or not the Poppy has been politicised in the past and we can't deny that. The white poppy came out of a stance against war and governments and McClean of West Brom refuses to wear a shirt with one on because of Bloody Sunday and his stance has been defended on here and is very much political.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
To be honest I am not sure of why the SFA and FA see the need for the players to display a poppy on their kit or armband. This does rather smack of rather affected ostentatious self-promotion. Anyone who thinks that players displaying a poppy on the field of play actually makes a difference is to me rather missing the point of quiet, thoughtful and personal reflection on the sacrifices of those who have gone before us.

Don't need footballers to wear one on the field of play - no need for any controversy. Risks becoming unseemly.

I recognise I may be in the minority in this view.

D

Deleted member 15344

To be honest I am not sure of why the SFA and FA see the need for the players to display a poppy on their kit or armband. This does rather smack of rather affected ostentatious self-promotion. Anyone who thinks that players displaying a poppy on the field of play actually makes a difference is to me rather missing the point of quiet, thoughtful and personal reflection on the sacrifices of those who have gone before us.

Don't need footballers to wear one on the field of play - no need for any controversy. Risks becoming unseemly.

They want to wear the armband to show their Rememberance of people who sacrificed their lives to allow you and i to live in a free world.

It's not about making a difference

What exactly are they promoting !!? Did you even think before you posted that pile of nonsense. Why does their need to be an angle somewhere

Do you think the same when you see the normal person walking down the street ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Probably a minority of one.

You do realise, I take it, that the shirts with the poppies on that the players wear are auctioned or sold off to raise funds for the Royal British Legion? But you'd rather they didn't because you consider it ostentatious self-promotion. Any views on the ceremony at the Cenotaph or the Royal albert Hall in view of your quiet reflection comment? Actually, on second thoughts don't bother.

They want to wear the armband to show their Rememberance of people who sacrificed their lives to allow you and i to live in a free world.

It's not about making a difference

What exactly are they promoting !!? Did you even think before you posted that pile of nonsense. Why does their need to be an angle somewhere

Do you think the same when you see the normal person walking down the street ?

Couldn't agree more Phil.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

I agree with you entirely.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
TM is getting involved as it is good PR for her. This is a domestic issue. Lay wreaths at grounds, poppies on shirts if you want but don't expect the rest of the world to join in. A blanket ban by FIFA is easier than a committee sitting on judgement on each case. What seems right and fair to one country is a red rag to another. Best to keep symbols out of sport full stop.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk

I agree with you entirely.

So do I.

I'm sure everyone recognises why the rule is there and they have to draw a line somewhere. They choose to draw that line at zero and that's the easiest to enforce. It may not be fair, it may not be right from our point of view.....but it's the rule. If we just accepted that and stopped whinging then it would be a non-story.

Funny one or two people who constantly run out the line "if you don't like it then don't join the club" in response to posts on "silly" or "unreasonable" golf club rules are the same ones who now don't want to abide by FIFA's rules.....just saying. :)

D

Deleted member 15344

TM is getting involved as it is good PR for her. This is a domestic issue. Lay wreaths at grounds, poppies on shirts if you want but don't expect the rest of the world to join in. A blanket ban by FIFA is easier than a committee sitting on judgement on each case. What seems right and fair to one country is a red rag to another. Best to keep symbols out of sport full stop.

I don't recall anyone from any FA suggesting the rest of the world join in ?

If it was a blanket ban why did they allow England to show a poppy previously ?

I will never ever understand how people can turn a symbol of rememberance to people who fought to give us a free world and free voice into something more than that

People are able to play the sport because of actions of those people hundred years ago

The players just want to show respect and rememberance to those people - how can any country see that as a red rag , it's not about anything political - just rememberance

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't recall anyone from any FA suggesting the rest of the world join in ?

If it was a blanket ban why did they allow England to show a poppy previously ?

I will never ever understand how people can turn a symbol of rememberance to people who fought to give us a free world and free voice into something more than that

People are able to play the sport because of actions of those people hundred years ago

The players just want to show respect and rememberance to those people - how can any country see that as a red rag , it's not about anything political - just rememberance

You're missing the point mate. What may be a poignant symbol to some, may look like triumphalism and provocation to others.

I choose to wear a poppy. I lost relatives on both sides during both great wars. However, it's a personal choice and my remembrance is private and introspective.

The second that I am expected to wear the poppy, then that is when I will stop. Fifa are wrong on many occasions, I feel that they're right on this one.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, it is political. The Poppy is a symbol relating to war. For every winner in a war there is a loser, one good side one supposedly bad side. Money goes from the sale of poppies to help service people who need help. I buy my poppy, I want them to be helped. Not everyone around the world agrees with the causes they were fighting in though, in fact many agressively disagree. For them the Poppy symbolises British aggression not rememberance.

FIFA are not picking on the Poppy, the ban is on all symbols. What if a team wore a symbol commemorating the losses suffered by ISIS? Would that be okay? Same for Al Qaeda? A Palestinian team wearing something that prods the Isreali's?

We see the good relating to a Poppy but not everyone else does. How do you resolve that? Ban all symbols and then no one can compalin. Look at the bigger picture here.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
No, it is political. The Poppy is a symbol relating to war. For every winner in a war there is a loser, one good side one supposedly bad side. Money goes from the sale of poppies to help service people who need help. I buy my poppy, I want them to be helped. Not everyone around the world agrees with the causes they were fighting in though, in fact many agressively disagree. For them the Poppy symbolises British aggression not rememberance.

FIFA are not picking on the Poppy, the ban is on all symbols. What if a team wore a symbol commemorating the losses suffered by ISIS? Would that be okay? Same for Al Qaeda? A Palestinian team wearing something that prods the Isreali's?

We see the good relating to a Poppy but not everyone else does. How do you resolve that? Ban all symbols and then no one can compalin. Look at the bigger picture here.

Now there is a well thought out sensible answer .. well said that man

D

Deleted member 15344

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/remembrance/how-we-remember/the-story-of-the-poppy/

The poppy is

A symbol of Remembrance and hope
Worn by millions of people
Red because of the natural colour of field poppies

The poppy is NOT

A symbol of death or a sign of support for war
A reflection of politics or religion
Red to reflect the colour of blood

Straight from the RBL

If anyone wants to turn the poppy into a political symbol or a symbol of war then that's their issue and goes against what the real meaning is - people will always look for an angle to try and turn it into something when it's clearly not and its a shame that it has even reached something that remembers people sacrificing themselves to allow us all that free will

D

Deleted member 16999

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/remembrance/how-we-remember/the-story-of-the-poppy/

The poppy is

A symbol of Remembrance and hope
Worn by millions of people
Red because of the natural colour of field poppies

The poppy is NOT

A symbol of death or a sign of support for war
A reflection of politics or religion
Red to reflect the colour of blood

Straight from the RBL

If anyone wants to turn the poppy into a political symbol or a symbol of war then that's their issue and goes against what the real meaning is - people will always look for an angle to try and turn it into something when it's clearly not and its a shame that it has even reached something that remembers people sacrificing themselves to allow us all that free will

It doesn't matter what the Poppy actually means, unfortunately there are people and groups who see it as a Political symbol and this won't change.

Still hopeful FIFA backdown.