Surprised and Shocked

Hoppy

Club Champion
Visit site
I have just got back from a weeks golfing in Myrtle Beach USA and I must say what a fantastic time I had. The 6 Courses we played were all in fantastic condition and the service we had from the men taking the clubs from the cars and putting them on the buggies, the supplies in the buggies water, cards, tees and towels etc to the men at the end of the round cleaning the clubs.

But the main reason for writing is when I opened this months Golf Monthly when I got back I was surprised to see the New Footjoy Dryjoy PODS not available until Feb 2008 and going to cost £110. Well I brought the very same shoe whilst in the States (Very nice shoe and very comfortable by the way) and this is the shocked bit for $110 and at the exchange rate I got that made them £55 almost.

I don't want to go on about the cost but everything from Balls, clothes to clubs were half price compared to UK. They also get things a lot earlier.

Oh those lucky Americans from the courses to the golf supplies.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I go to florida every April, and feel exactly the same. Equipment and Apparel are half price (and the yanks still think it's expensive), the courses are magnificent, and cost less than £50 per round, and petrol is about £1.50 a gallon (US gallon admittedly, but still darn cheap).

Why do we Brits always get shafted?

Because we pay it, that's why. We see a sign saying 10% off, and we think it's a bargain.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why do we Brits always get shafted?

Because we pay it, that's why. We see a sign saying 10% off, and we think it's a bargain.
Exactly. My fiancee is American and is constantly amazed at how expensive everything is here in the UK. She regularly sees things that are at least pound for dollar, which with the current exchange rate means they're twice the price here that they would be in the USA. Talk about "Rip-off Britain"!

B

birdieman

Grrrrr...my blood is beginning to boil reading the above, it's just not right. If you do order something from USA any savings you make are negated by good old customs and excise hammering you on import tax.
The UK is a pretty decent place to live all things considered and certainly good if you're into golf. However the price of everything from petrol to housing to beer is just astronomical in comparison to other countries. I have a pal who works in Japan and we used to say they were expensive but petrol is only 60p/litre there, nothing compared to our £1.02 or whatever.
We're stuck with rip off Britain I fear.
In another post someone mentioned £40 for a winter round of golf being good value, I think people too easily forget just how much wonga £40 actually is - it's a lot of cash. A winter round of golf shouldn't cost more than £20 tops...anywhere.

Hoppy

Club Champion
Visit site
In another post someone mentioned £40 for a winter round of golf being good value, I think people too easily forget just how much wonga £40 actually is - it's a lot of cash. A winter round of golf shouldn't cost more than £20 tops...anywhere.

I'll 2nd that Winter Golf should be half price everywhere.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site

I'll 2nd that Winter Golf should be half price everywhere.

We play quite a few different courses over the winter and won't go anywhere which is charging over £25 (unless it's a package with grub).
Think quite a few courses are cottoning on to the winter golf trade, there seems to be a growing selection of courses offering rounds for £20 - £25 this winter.

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
Hello all

Having played in the states including Florida on several occasions I sympathise. But having good friends whom work as superintendents in the states I must say, UK green fees are NOT a rip off at all; there is actually a lot less profit margin in the UK compared to the US. Remember, we are rip off Briton, UK golf clubs are also being ripped off compared to the US. It takes a lot more cash to run a typical course in the UK, than is does in the US. UK courses make a lot less money, 95% of courses are members run and they are worked as a non-profit making business. This is because it’s very difficult to make a profit.

Cheers

B

birdieman

he was talking about Celtic Manor afterall.

Are we supposed to be impressed - I suspect Celtic Manor is just another Corporate funded place for the rich to hang out and very little to do with the actual quality of the golf course. It's got an upcoming Ryder Cup to treble it's green fees on! Others courses like the Torrance and Devlin at St Andrews and The Belfry spring to mind as being corporate rip-offs trying to attract Yanks, Japs and wannabee Brits.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played the Brabazon on Sunday and it was fantastic however we got on for eff all and to be honest I don't think I would drive 4 hours down and the same back again if I had to fork out £130+. As a rule of thumb I use Muirfield, The Old Course and Carnoustie as courses who have the history amd pedigree to charge this amount of money. To ask for more than that for Torrance Bay is tantamount to THEFT !!!!!!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
UK green fees are NOT a rip off at all; there is actually a lot less profit margin in the UK compared to the US.... It takes a lot more cash to run a typical course in the UK, than is does in the US. UK courses make a lot less money, 95% of courses are members run and they are worked as a non-profit making business. This is because it’s very difficult to make a profit.

All very interesting. I think there are a few courses that blatantly DO rip folk off, because they can. I don't know how one would work out "profit margin" on visitors fees. I guess you divide the expected amount of visitors by the amount you need to sub the course/members.
What I find odd is that a lot of the small "quality" members courses seem to charge quite a lot and get very few visitors. If they want it that way, fine. BUT, if they'd like to raise revenue from this part of their business, it would be worth offering fair-priced packages to genuine societies or groups from clubs. I bet if I was to phone around tomorrow and say "I've got 5 or 6 4 balls ready to book for next Spring, we're not coming on a company cheque b.t.w." I reckon I'd be lucky to get a free coffee and bacon sarnie thrown in.....really, I've tried it.
If these places said "oh, yes, we'd love to have you for £30 p/p (instead of £50/60) not only would they get £600-800 in fees, but another £500-800 in the bar/restaurant.

I think all courses should sign up to a quid-pro-quo charter as in Holland. If you are not a corporate visitor and come from a genuine club with a genuine h'cap you play for a set fee (way less than the turn up with your company gold card trip).

That's my rant...

Dave

cosworth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
bought a tm burner rescue from yankland.
£60 for club--bargain but further £20 delivery and another £26 import which i wasnt expecting.

import tax sucks

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
thought for the day.
Do you pay import duty on a 'used' item?
If not I think there is a market opportunity here for a US supplier hitting one ball, so the witness mark is there, before shipping.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My comment regarding Celtic Manor is that it is a good course, and being made to a modern spec (with no expense spared), means it will have good drainage, and unlike a lot of the courses in the west of GB, it will be very playable. That part of the world gets an awful lot of rain. I don't think £40 is unreasonable.

I live by the Grove in Herts, and that is at least £70 in the winter. Now that is silly money for winter golf. Mind you the course is still in mint condition. Probably because no one plays it.

B

birdieman

Murph, glad to hear it is actually a good course, I did wonder. I wouldn't complain if a day ticket cost £40 in the winter, though there probably isn't enough light to get round twice this time of year. £40 for one winter round is too steep for me.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
When we played on Sunday they had TWO groups at each tee for the start of the 10:30 shotgun. This kept everyone on their toes as you were aware of the group in front and also the group behind. Four and a half hours later, the course was empty.

If a course that charges £40 a head and did this it would bring in £5760 in revenue. Somewhere like the Belfry or another expensive track would charge £60 and that brings in £8640. That is a serious amount of cash when you also think about how much is spent in the restaraunt and shop prior to the round of golf. I think we averaged about £20 each.