Suggestions for place to play at the weekend - Surrey / M25 area

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thank you - I don't mind paying £45 if it's a good course, just wouldn't want to stump up that much cash if there were something equally as good available for less.

I've heard of Mill Ride - decent track?

My old club so perhaps a bit biased! Certainly 'decent' track - has reputation for getting soggy in Winter, but only in parts where, imo, you shouldn't be! Has been used for Seniors Open qualifying (when at Sunningdale), along with Camberley Heath and The Berkshire and was 'toughest' of the 3 (highest scores). SSS of Par (72) + 1 off Whites. Couple of blind drive holes (10 and 17). 10 is a bit marmite-ish - if you don't get far enough down, you lay up, then have long shot (155+ uphill) for 3rd. 17 (SI4) has target for Drive; if you go over left FW bunker, you are in water hazard!; worth considering playing as 3 shotter! 18 2nd shot can be blind, so walk up hill and see which group of trees to take aim at (there's water right!) - otherwise pretty good finishing hole (1st - eagle-able Par 5 - is a great starting hole too imo).

Probably not as classy as West Byfleet, but good value for a Saturday!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My old club so perhaps a bit biased! Certainly 'decent' track - has reputation for getting soggy in Winter, but only in parts where, imo, you shouldn't be! Has been used for Seniors Open qualifying (when at Sunningdale), along with Camberley Heath and The Berkshire and was 'toughest' of the 3 (highest scores). SSS of Par (72) + 1 off Whites. Couple of blind drive holes (10 and 17). 10 is a bit marmite-ish - if you don't get far enough down, you lay up, then have long shot (155+ uphill) for 3rd. 17 (SI4) has target for Drive; if you go over left FW bunker, you are in water hazard!; worth considering playing as 3 shotter! 18 2nd shot can be blind, so walk up hill and see which group of trees to take aim at (there's water right!) - otherwise pretty good finishing hole (1st - eagle-able Par 5 - is a great starting hole too imo).

Probably not as classy as West Byfleet, but good value for a Saturday!

Not sure I would say 10 is marmity, its just stupid. Assuming you hit a good drive down there 260ish it leaves you two options.

A) completely pointless 3 wood off a severe downslope through a narrow gap over water which then pitches into an upslopeIn contrast 1&18 are great holes to leave 60-70 ish

B) literally chip a 7 iron down the hill short of the water into a flat narrow area absolutely full of divots because it doesn't really grow or drain down there, that still leaves 165-170 uphill realistically

S

Snelly

I would see if you can get a decent twilight rate at West Hill personally.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure I would say 10 is marmity, its just stupid. Assuming you hit a good drive down there 260ish it leaves you two options.

A) completely pointless 3 wood off a severe downslope through a narrow gap over water which then pitches into an upslopeIn contrast 1&18 are great holes to leave 60-70 ish

B) literally chip a 7 iron down the hill short of the water into a flat narrow area absolutely full of divots because it doesn't really grow or drain down there, that still leaves 165-170 uphill realistically

Yes, they are the options - though the last Club Champs I played in, my FC hit Driver onto 12th Fairway; 5W over the trees onto the Green - then 3-putted! Downslope isn't 'severe' btw! Certainly not my favourite hole, but wouldn't call it 'stupid'! In fact, I'd rarely call any hole 'stupid'! It's golfers who can't work out how to play holes best (from wherever they happen to be at the time) that I consider 'stupid'!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
You might want to have a look at Singing Hills in Albourne West Sussex. It has 3 loops of 9 and in really good condition at this time, as all decent clubs should be after the weather we've had this year!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
...... indeed ;-)

West Byfleet is quality, Pyrford is somewhat decent apart from the 18th being possibly the worst finishing hole I have ever seen

Are you having a laugh or did you just make a 10 there and now have the hump? It's a great risk/reward finishing hole where you can make everything from eagle to double. You can play safe and go 3-wood, 5-wood and then wedge hitting the wide part of the fairway both times or go for the big drive to get you down close enough to take on the green.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Are you having a laugh or did you just make a 10 there and now have the hump? It's a great risk/reward finishing hole where you can make everything from eagle to double. You can play safe and go 3-wood, 5-wood and then wedge hitting the wide part of the fairway both times or go for the big drive to get you down close enough to take on the green.

I agree and think it's a good closing hole and can imagine going well in a comp can be a little intimidating with all that water in play. It's a good course. Couple of average holes but suit the Op's needs. Better than Pine Ridge which I find soul destroying given the time it seems to take every time I play it

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
Sutton green near guildford is a decent course, normally in good nick and can normally get on at the weekend about 10 mins from junction 10 of m25. no idea on cost though