Submitting cards

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing the hero shots is something I try and execute often when nothing feels at stake and general play to me is like a knockabout training session with your pals hence why no cards ever get put through. And like any sport you have a completely different mindset and approach when it’s time to be competitive.

This just doesn’t happen with general play.

Considering how much i play i really don’t think I could enjoy golf if I took the same approach for both. It would drain the life out of me.
You need some non-counting rounds to actually try those shots. If every round was going in for handicap, and hence you always play conservative and don't go for the greens in two etc - when are you ever going to practise those shots?? You need to try them in the casual rounds so you can eventually bring them into play in your counting rounds when they become reliable. (y)

----

I'm just going to hijack this thread because I can't be arsed starting a new one - does anyone know if there's sometimes a delay in cards appearing on your record? My card was entered yesterday by our pro/gen manager along with everyone else's, but it didn't appear in the IG live list of scores, and today it still hasn't shown up on my record. I asked him yesterday and he just said IG was playing up and it would appear today (as I say, it hasn't yet).

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Anybody putting in cards once a week or more from competitions is surely putting in plenty of cards to reflect their handicap..
Personally I find cards a pain in social golf and if there is no compulsory cards I'm not going to.
Yes, that first part is a statement I can totally agree with.
As with so many things in this world, there is no singular right and wrong that can be applied to every golfer.
As long as we are all being honest in the cards we submit, it should be fair.
For example, I play in a lot of league matches and club knockouts, so can't always play in a medal or stableford (only 1 each per month), so I felt I had to use other cards to ensure I can look in the mirror and know I'm not cheating any opposition.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I believe that every round counts towards one's real playing ability

Would have to disagree, but that’s just me.

It’s like any sport. Think of it as the general play rounds are friendly games.

If I have a friendly game preseason in whatever sport it has absolutely no relevance in the slightest to how I’d play once it comes to a competitive match.

You are plying completely different in regards to mindset, approach, focus etc. I don’t even use the same balls to start off with.

It’s just not the same

Bratty

Visit site
Would have to disagree, but that’s just me.

It’s like any sport. Think of it as the general play rounds are friendly games.

If I have a friendly game preseason in whatever sport it has absolutely no relevance in the slightest to how I’d play once it comes to a competitive match.

You are plying completely different in regards to mindset, approach, focus etc. I don’t even use the same balls to start off with.

It’s just not the same
Everyone's different then.
I play every game of golf in the same way if I'm playing in a "singles" type comp or just with friends.
And to be very clear, I'm not saying you're wrong and you're absolutely entitled to disagree with me.
But I won't be changing my mind on this.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I respect everyone’s opinions and understand exactly where you are coming from.

I’m just looking at it from the approach I have which is obviously completely different to a lot of peoples .

Swango1980

Visit site
Can we just end the thread by saying there is no general rule, in terms of an actual frequency that must be adhered to? Because this keeps going round and round in circles, where one person says they'll submit every round, whereas others like to mess about in social golf, and hence don't want to submit a score, etc.

If you play plenty of competitions where your scores are submitted, then there is probably no urgency to submit your general play rounds. Don't worry about it. However, the functionality is there for you to do so.

If you rarely play in competitions, then it would be a very good idea for you to submit general play rounds to keep your handicap reflective of your current ability.

What else needs to be said? The only thing I'd add is, I'm happy to play for a few quid with a group of mates. However, as I submit my scores for handicap, I'll only enter the roll up for a cash prize if everyone in the roll up is submitting their score for handicap. Otherwise, I refuse to pay my money over to someone who may frequently win the cash, and yet never submit their scores so at least their handicap will be more reflective next time we play. The argument "I don't want to submit my score as it is too stressful" and/or "I am trying to be a hero" doesn't cut it for me when they are also happy to collect their winnings after a decent round.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Can we just end the thread by saying there is no general rule, in terms of an actual frequency that must be adhered to? Because this keeps going round and round in circles, where one person says they'll submit every round, whereas others like to mess about in social golf, and hence don't want to submit a score, etc.

If you play plenty of competitions where your scores are submitted, then there is probably no urgency to submit your general play rounds. Don't worry about it. However, the functionality is there for you to do so.

If you rarely play in competitions, then it would be a very good idea for you to submit general play rounds to keep your handicap reflective of your current ability.

What else needs to be said? The only thing I'd add is, I'm happy to play for a few quid with a group of mates. However, as I submit my scores for handicap, I'll only enter the roll up for a cash prize if everyone in the roll up is submitting their score for handicap. Otherwise, I refuse to pay my money over to someone who may frequently win the cash, and yet never submit their scores so at least their handicap will be more reflective next time we play. The argument "I don't want to submit my score as it is too stressful" and/or "I am trying to be a hero" doesn't cut it for me when they are also happy to collect their winnings after a decent round.

Agreed and interesting take on the last paragraph. New to the club I am now involved in a circle where one older lady who I like a lot often likes to play for the cash.

Other members have said she’s a Wiley old cat but because she’s never really taken money off me she’d never been on my radar.

It came upon my attention she had only just started putting cards in recently.

She plays 6 times a week.

Can only imagine someone has had a word with her and she’s only now submitting cards. Needless to say I understand exactly what has happened here ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On the complete opposite to @Bratty ’s approach, at the weekend our stableford was won by a 27 capper with 47 points with the second scoring 41 off of 5! In shock I checked the EG APP, the player submitted 1 card for the entire 2021 year and only 5 cards in 2020. He’s only card this year was the 47 pointer on Saturday.

Some may condone people putting in general play cards in certain methods, but to me the WHS is flawed as under congu his handicap would have been inactive and therefore general play cards would have been needed prior to a comp entry.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Dont get this ‘hero shot’ stuff somehow meaning a card for a round when you might try one or two such shots can’t be submitted. Complete tosh of course IMO. Since if a ‘hero’ shot comes off then you’ll maybe score unusually well for that hole, but sure as eggs is eggs that heroic score will be balanced out by another hero shot hole that goes wrong, And even if none of your hero shots come off the nonsense scores for these holes are capped by the system, and even then if the round is complete rubbish it’ll sink to the bottom of your ‘pool of 20’ never likely to bother your HI. And if all your hero shots come off - then chances are you’ll have a freakish spanking good round that will most likely impact your HI. But the system smooths out the impact such freak rounds.

There does seem to be an awful lot of rationalising to get out of putting cards in for normal casual/knock play rounds, and I’m afraid the logic of many of these rather falls apart when subject to scrutiny…so it seems to me more wriggling than rational logic.?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the complete opposite to @Bratty ’s approach, at the weekend our stableford was won by a 27 capper with 47 points with the second scoring 41 off of 5! In shock I checked the EG APP, the player submitted 1 card for the entire 2021 year and only 5 cards in 2020. He’s only card this year was the 47 pointer on Saturday.

Some may condone people putting in general play cards in certain methods, but to me the WHS is flawed as under congu his handicap would have been inactive and therefore general play cards would have been needed prior to a comp entry.
My club now has rules saying you need to have 8 cards on your record from the last year, with 4 of those being competition ones I believe, in order to be eligible to win a comp.

That does seem flawed actually since new members would have to enter 4 comps that they're not allowed to win first.. but that doesn't affect me so whatever.

D-S

Visit site
Golf these days is slow enough without the majority of players submitting cards for handicap on non competition days.
The thought of most 4 balls effectively playing medals every day fills me with dread.
At least in cultures like the one in the USA where almost all rounds are routinely put in for handicap not pre registered and in most formats, they use ‘most likely score’ which allows them to pick up when they are out of the hole or a player or players in the team already have a better score than you can achieve.
I really don’t want to play in groups where we are playing some sort of Bowmaker and have all players holing out (as they have pre registered the round as a general play score), especially if we are 4 balls.

D-S

Visit site
My club now has rules saying you need to have 8 cards on your record from the last year, with 4 of those being competition ones I believe, in order to be eligible to win a comp.

That does seem flawed actually since new members would have to enter 4 comps that they're not allowed to win first.. but that doesn't affect me so whatever.

This makes sense and I believe is what most clubs do. It certainly gets around the lack of an active/inactive or handicap under WHS. Most clubs around here have set it at 5 scores on the record (competition or general play) from the past 12 months.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site

12 cards submitted at our place within the last 2 years’ to win The Competition.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
This makes sense and I believe is what most clubs do. It certainly gets around the lack of an active/inactive or handicap under WHS. Most clubs around here have set it at 5 scores on the record (competition or general play) from the past 12 months.

I quite like the idea.... Should stop fast improving newcomers coming in and taking the winnings in their first few comps, which seems to be a common occurance through posts ive seen on the forum.

Swango1980

Visit site
Golf these days is slow enough without the majority of players submitting cards for handicap on non competition days.
The thought of most 4 balls effectively playing medals every day fills me with dread.
At least in cultures like the one in the USA where almost all rounds are routinely put in for handicap not pre registered and in most formats, they use ‘most likely score’ which allows them to pick up when they are out of the hole or a player or players in the team already have a better score than you can achieve.
I really don’t want to play in groups where we are playing some sort of Bowmaker and have all players holing out (as they have pre registered the round as a general play score), especially if we are 4 balls.
Why would they have to play medal if they wanted to submit their card? I played in a 4 ball last month, rounded lasted just over 2 hours and all of us submitted our score.

Bratty

Visit site
If you score a 12 in a medal, then it is reduced to the lowest non-scoring number for handicapping purposes anyway. So if I score a 10 on a par 4 with no shot, then it becomes a 6. If I play stableford with my friends, I can pick up once I can't score (same outcome as above) and the card will still count. No need to play a medal round every time as Swango says.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site

Absolutely

I’ve never noticed any members like this on our course but the ones that you refer to would fall under the society / guests who would also be unfamiliar with the track.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
Why would they have to play medal if they wanted to submit their card? I played in a 4 ball last month, rounded lasted just over 2 hours and all of us submitted our score.
Sorry I meant a ‘qualifying round‘ where the rules of golf need to be strictly adhered to by all 4 players.Everything has to be holed out, people will be playing provisionals or having to go back to the tee if they haven’t whereas in casual rounds they can just let their partner play out the hole. These rounds are a lot slower than Bowmaker or better balls where often a player can pick up.
All our competition (Stableford or medal) rounds are played in 2 or 3 balls as they take a lot longer than casual rounds, hence a 4 ball putting everything out is going to be even slower and a whole field like this is something I don’t want to play in every time I tee it up.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
It always makes me wonder whay sort of pitch and putt courses all these "we played as a 4 ball and got round in 2 hours" merchants play at. Some numbers to consider...

It's a 10.5km walk round my current course, that's about 6.5 miles. So to get round in 2 hours you would have to walk at an average speed of 3.25mph without stopping. So when is the golf played?

Methinks these sort of folk are as best bad at telling the time, or perhaps just making things up...

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

such a poor generalisation. Submitting a general play card takes no longer on a round of golf. Once you get passed nett double bogey, mark it as picked up on the app and then move to the next. It’s not difficult.

it just requires clubs to competently communicate to members