Stroke allowance in matchplay

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Now that in singles match play you get full difference between the handicaps, would it not be an idea to change where you get your shots.

Currently if I play off 12, and my opponent is off 10, I get 2 shots, to take on stroke index 1 and 2. But, if we both play to our handicaps, we are both expected to bogey these holes, so I win them.

The difference between us, is that I am expected to bogey indexes 11 and 12. Would it not make more sense for me to get my shots here? Thus my bogey halves with his par.

Otherwise I would normally win indexes 1 and 2, and he would win indexes 11 and 12 (only if we play to handicap). My way would mean more holes halved, closer scores, and depending on where theses indexes are on the course could be the difference between loosing and winning as you my loose before your shot holes are used.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
interesting but I can't work out using that method how it would operate for a 15 handicapper playing a 25 handicapper?

Maybe I've just had too much sun over the weekend?

Edit - got it, 16-18 and 1-7?

Further edit - I like your idea :) Taking the example of me off 6 playing someone off 20, giving away 14 shots. I would give shots on 7-18 and 1-2. giving me 3-6 with enhanced chances of wins. Yes, gets my vote.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry lads the idea is that the higher handicapped golfer needs the shots on the harder holes on the course-not on the easier holes.

An easier way would be to dispose of the stroke index altogether in matchplay and allow the shots to be taken from the start of the game on hole 1 to whatever hole the handicap difference ends. A 4 shot difference gets shots on holes 1 to 4.

I think the current system has served the game well and should remain.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The current system has been ok, but it isn't logical. Index 1 is the hardest hole, and everyone excepting scratch players is expected to bogey it (at the least). So if I find it the most difficult hole on the course, why do I have to make it more difficult by giving a shot away too?

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The current system has been ok, but it isn't logical. Index 1 is the hardest hole, and everyone excepting scratch players is expected to bogey it (at the least). So if I find it the most difficult hole on the course, why do I have to make it more difficult by giving a shot away too?

Yes, but if you are 20hc and you play a 12hc you get two shots on SI 1 and 2 and he only gets one. Parity restored.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Good point - d'oh.

That said, the system seems to have worked for many a year, so I'm not sure it needs changing. Getting people to realise full hc is fairer than 3/4 has been hard enough!