Stack and tilt: let's have a heated debate

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another update : range session 4.
Everything working really well today except.............driver.
Lots of really high slices. I think I know what's happening.........I just can't get out of the habit.
What's happening, at least this is what it feels like, is that I'm standing upright before I've hit the ball & almost falling over backwards in the follow through. It feels as though I'm having to 'throw' my hands at the ball to avoid missing it completely because I'm starting to stand up too early.
Does this make sense, if so, is this a common problem & what can I do to overcome it?
Am I just trying to hit it too hard?
Every now & then I hit a real BOOMER & this gives me the incentive to carry on........I'm not going to give up on this!
What's really wierd is that I am hitting my 4 wood beautifully off either a peg or the mat!
Should driver be so frustrating?
Will keep in touch in the hope that someone may benefit from my experiences,

Slime.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is that the full list Monty?

I'm gutted there isn't one in the midlands :(

JO posted a link to a video by Darren Hopwood a few days ago. I found his site and had a look around and he does video coaching too, so no need to travel. There are examples on his site if you want to see what it's like.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
JO posted a link to a video by Darren Hopwood a few days ago. I found his site and had a look around and he does video coaching too, so no need to travel. There are examples on his site if you want to see what it's like.

Top man R3 I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip off

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
Session 3:
Started to come inside on backswing which is promoting a lovely 5 yard draw. Not sure if I am coming too far inside , or hinging my wrists too early, so will film my swing on Friday. Everything is pretty good though. Driving is okay I guess, hit a few lovely draws and one god awful slice, but still happy.
Thanks justone for advising me dazhwood's videos, they helped a lot :

-A Happy Ally

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Session 3:
Not sure if I am coming too far inside , or hinging my wrists too early, so will film my swing on Friday.

Really good thread on the Sandtrap about "deep hands" here

That should help you understand the move inside on the backswing. A really good read I've gone back to repeatedly. Hope it helps.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Deep hands is the true definition of width, a misunderstanding for many years... people think width means WIDE and they are so wrong. That whole 'take it back in a straight line and reach out to the right' is 100% rubbish. The swing is an arc.

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
so I have got the dvd's, just ordered the book, now I need some energy after work to hit the range :)

have been doing a few of the drills at home and feels really solid. Lets hope it feels as good hitting balls instead of an impact bag :)

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
thanks. Made me realise I've been taking it inside but then becoming steep at top. Need to try and get an arc :)

-Ally

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Considering S&T as a possible solution to remedying my tendency to come out of posture pulling the club too far inside, getting too steep and coming over the top leading to inconsistent strikes. I think staying on my left side would help in maintaining my posture and all I need to is turn my shoulders to keep me centred and get me on plane.

Would you S&T advocates say my problem may improve by adopting the S&T.
Any other useful hints and links appreciated

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Another update : range session 4.
Everything working really well today except.............driver.
Lots of really high slices. I think I know what's happening.........I just can't get out of the habit.
What's happening, at least this is what it feels like, is that I'm standing upright before I've hit the ball & almost falling over backwards in the follow through. It feels as though I'm having to 'throw' my hands at the ball to avoid missing it completely because I'm starting to stand up too early.
Does this make sense, if so, is this a common problem & what can I do to overcome it?
Am I just trying to hit it too hard?

Sorry, missed your post.

If you are hitting slices then you have to look at the clubface/swingpath relationship.
If the clubface is open a little at impact (pointing right) and your swingpath is fairly straight at impact then the ball will slice. So you have to effectively make your swingpath more OUT and/or close the clubface a few degrees. Where does the ball start left/straight/right?

Note: If you are trying to hit UP on your driver (instead of level) then you need a swingpath that is approx 10° out to the right of the target line, less if you are hitting level or down.

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Note: If you are trying to hit UP on your driver (instead of level) then you need a swingpath that is approx 10° out to the right of the target line, less if you are hitting level or down.

If this is the case. Would you advise moving the ball back a touch James?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, missed your post.

If you are hitting slices then you have to look at the clubface/swingpath relationship.
If the clubface is open a little at impact (pointing right) and your swingpath is fairly straight at impact then the ball will slice. So you have to effectively make your swingpath more OUT and/or close the clubface a few degrees. Where does the ball start left/straight/right?

Hi fella,
thanks for responding,
the ball usually (80%) starts straight but sometimes (17%) starts right and very occasionally starts left (3%).
The straight starters often don't go all that far in a straight line before heading right & going high.
It almost feels as though I'm shifting to my right and trying to get under the ball with my right side..........does that make sense, do you know what I'm trying to describe?
Many thanks,

Slime.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hi fella,
thanks for responding,
the ball usually (80%) starts straight but sometimes (17%) starts right and very occasionally starts left (3%).
The straight starters often don't go all that far in a straight line before heading right & going high.
It almost feels as though I'm shifting to my right and trying to get under the ball with my right side..........does that make sense, do you know what I'm trying to describe?

If you are not used to it then I'd suggest as a drill you start with more weight on the left side at address with the hips a little bumped towards the target. Remember the idea is to start the ball to the right so the clubface has to be a little open, this will add dynamic loft to the impact so even if you hit down on the ball slightly it will still get plenty airborne. I don't know if you've watched this vid?....

[video=youtube;JXuikUmHeEQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXuikUmHeEQ[/video]

note: If you are trying to hit UP on the driver then it needs to be travelling AWAY from you more through impact (more in-to-out).

note2: I'm waiting for someone to get a vid of their swing.... :)

Last edited: