Stack and tilt: let's have a heated debate

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Here's a pic:

temporary-2.jpg

If thats position is correct, does that mean this guy isn't S&T ?

st1.jpg

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not strictly a like-for-like comparison Bob as I'm pictured (trying) to position the driver where as your pic is an iron.

If you have a picture of the S&T pattern with a driver for comparison I would be very appreciative :D

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The guy in the pic above is Mike Bennett

Oh I realize that Bob.

My point I tried to make poorly was it was my understanding in the stack and tilt pattern, when talking about driver set up, was that the hips should be pushed a little more forward to account for the forward ball position. The head and upper centres stay where they are while the hips are pushed forward.

Perhaps I'm over doing it? I'm sure James will correct me if I'm wrong in what I've put but that is how I interpreted it and how it was explained in an instructional video

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Perhaps I'm over doing it? I'm sure James will correct me if I'm wrong in what I've put but that is how I interpreted it and how it was explained in an instructional video

Looks OK Gareth, it's OK to have 5°-10° tilt away from the target with driver. Agree with Monty about the feet, the left should flare 20-30° and the right foot 10° (nb: knees stay inline with the feet), make sure the ball doesn't get too far forward as the swingpath will start returning back to the inside as the club gets past your left armpit! and then you won't be impacting the ball from the inside enough, if at all.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Looks OK Gareth, it's OK to have 5°-10° tilt away from the target with driver. Agree with Monty about the feet, the left should flare 20-30° and the right foot 10° (nb: knees stay inline with the feet), make sure the ball doesn't get too far forward as the swingpath will start returning back to the inside as the club gets past your left armpit! and then you won't be impacting the ball from the inside enough, if at all.

Thanks again James. I'll make adjustments to my feet position as you and Monty suggest.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, S&T actually went to the course today!
Wasn't expecting too much today, just wanted to make a few good swings, wasn't interested in actually posting a decent score.
Arrived to find that there were 18 temporary greens.........................bummer, fairways were very wet too.
I actually only duffed two full iron shots, both 3 irons, the rest were struck very well, for me anyway. The problem I was having was accuracy, quite a few finished left of target because, I think, my clubface was square at impact, not slightly open.
No worries there and was really pleased with my irons.................but I also used my driver!
1st drive........40yds forward, 30yds left.
2nd drive......170yds forward, 20yds left.
3rd drive........40yds forward, 25yds left.
4th drive......260yds forward, dead straight...........let me say that again,
4th drive......260yds forward, dead straight.
5th drive......250yds forward, 10yds left.
6th drive......245yds forward, 10yds left.
7th drive......245yds forward, 10yds left.
8th drive......240yds forward, 15yds right.
9th drive......220yds forward, thinned slicey thing that ended up fairly central.
10th drive....240yds forward, 10yds right.
Last drive.....260yds forward, 5yds left.
What changed after three sh*tty drives? I SLOWED DOWN.
I began the round full off false hope, with new driver & new swing I thought I was God..........I wasn't.
After a few holes I had a quiet smoke & a little chat with myself telling me that S&T WILL work for me, but it'll take a little while. In the mean time just grow up, get real, slow down your swing & be patient.
What a difference, regularly 240yds+ on a cold day with sodden fairways. I just have to dial the radar in a bit to stop pulling the ball left, (it wasn't drawing to the left, I was hitting it straight there), that'll come for sure. Having been a slicer for many years, I find it VERY difficult to address the ball with my driver with the clubface slightly open!
All in all I'm very happy.
First round for many weeks & first round using S&T.............it's all coming together.
Still aim to post my swing for you guys to either rip to pieces or fine tune, whatever you see fit.
In the mean time, enjoy your golf,

Slime.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
4th drive......260yds forward, dead straight...........let me say that again,
4th drive......260yds forward, dead straight.
5th drive......250yds forward, 10yds left.
6th drive......245yds forward, 10yds left.
7th drive......245yds forward, 10yds left.
8th drive......240yds forward, 15yds right.
9th drive......220yds forward, thinned slicey thing that ended up fairly central.
10th drive....240yds forward, 10yds right.
Last drive.....260yds forward, 5yds left.

Nice!... won't be playing you for money!!!! :D

I'm generally the other way round, I open the face too much and subsequently REALLY have to swing from the inside to get the ball to draw, in a way I do both parts too well :angry:... so work in progress for me too... I've been playing my 'S&T version' of the Bubba push-fade for practically a year and that doesn't really help! :D

Just uploading some vids of my swing...

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Small Update following a range session last night.

Worked on better feet positions (I.E flaring left foot out more). I cannot stress enough how much this has helped my transition into the downswing.

Now I'm flaring my left (lead foot) more I actually find it easier to move my knee towards the target and the whole hip movement feels alot easier.

As for my drives. Massive improvement in direction and control. Hit alot less pushes this session, plenty straight with a few slight (3 yard ish ) draws. Out of 40 balls only 5 slices and 1 topped which is a eurika moment for me!!!!!

also hit 15 6 irons (5 as a warm up, 5 mid session, 5 to finish). All pretty much straight with the odd draw and only 3 pushes, but they only missed the target green by around 5 or 6 yards so, generally, happy.

The one thing I did notice with the driver was my ball flight was a little lower than usual. Not a daisy cutter by any stretch but lower than my usual high push out to the right. Any suggestions as to why?

Edit: Muchos Kudos James and Monty :thup:

Last edited:

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
I no very little about S&T and have no interest in changing my swing from scratch (hard enough getting to where I am now) but have nothing against people trying to use this method, just saw this article last night and thought it might interest a few people. Anybody who knows this site will know this guy is heavily technical so it's a bit wordy. anyhoo here it is:

http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/stackandtilt.htm

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
JO from your video and the plummer? video are the hands finishing high part of the swing or not? (at work at cant be bothered to dig)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Chris, both arms should remain straight.... that would result in pretty high hands... easy when you can do it :mad:

[video=youtube;VX8D_vXh-zA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX8D_vXh-zA[/video]

I try to keep mine as straight as I can manage :D.... :(:eek:

Last edited: