St Andrews - Old Course

Visit site
We are having a St Andrews based weekend in September as a four-ball (me, a brother, and 2 old school/uni friends)
I emailed about 2 1/2 weeks ago - thanks to the poster for the original heads up
Heard nowt and thought oh well
Got a phone call today with an offer of playing the Old course on Friday 11th and the New course on the 12th
Cost PP = 340 - 14 days to confirm
Although pricey - seems a great opportunity - We probably won't ever easily get a chance again to play together there

So here's the thing
Our slot on the Old Course is an 11.50 tee-off time
But according to the website - you cant use a trolley until 12.00
One of us is 60 and another has a back issue - so they don't want to carry
Ideally we don't want a caddy either - we just want to enjoy the round by ourselves - so really we would wish the ability to use a trolley - Would they be flexible on that do you know?
I'll ask them tomorrow but others here may have experience

I could always say - "my brother is always 15 minutes late to the tee anyway" - but that may not be best :p

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
So here's the thing
Ideally we don't want a caddy either - we just want to enjoy the round by ourselves - so really we would wish the ability to use a trolley - Would they be flexible on that do you know?

I could always say - "my brother is always 15 minutes late to the tee anyway" - but that may not be best :p
Pretty sure they are rigid on the no trolley's before noon

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
So here's the thing

Could you dump the trolleys at the second tee and carry for the first hole?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Seem a strange / harsh restriction especially during summer months, considering how our weather can change and how much you're paying :p. Is this a recent thing , first I've heard about it .:unsure:
It's a few years since it was introduced - before that I'm sure there there were no trolleys allowed at all.

It's no stranger a restriction than there being no golf on the Old Course on Sundays IMO.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My PP from Sat is going to the old course next week, i asked him about the Caddy/Trolley issue and he said he's been told they had stopped that while there are no caddys. he's an R&A member so i'd imagine he would have got it from the links trust

Visit site
My PP from Sat is going to the old course next week, i asked him about the Caddy/Trolley issue and he said he's been told they had stopped that while there are no caddys. he's an R&A member so i'd imagine he would have got it from the links trust
Thanks - thats useful
I emailed them earlier to ask about what the current situation is - & even if we could move our time to later i.e., after 12

UPDATE = Just received a reply......that they have relaxed the current trolley policy to allow trolleys for tee times prior to 12 noon (due to the current circumstances regarding social distancing/caddies etc)

Last edited:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Thanks - thats useful
I emailed them earlier to ask about what the current situation is - & even if we could move our time to later i.e., after 12

UPDATE = Just received a reply......that they have relaxed the current trolley policy to allow trolleys for tee times prior to 12 noon (due to the current circumstances regarding social distancing/caddies etc)
Result

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
That does seem a lot because the official rates on the website are £195 Old and £85 New. Is this through some sort of agent?

We've used this offer twice over the last few years. It's the ballot usually offered in September for the following year (St Andrews have done one to fill up spots this summer), it does work out slightly more expensive than paying the individual green fees but I think you have a better chance of getting on if you go for the two round package in the ballot. The best combination for the price is The Old and The Castle.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
The only reason I can see for this is that you take a caddy!

It's certainly not the only reason. Trolleys cause more wear and tear on a course especially on the Old Course that has some fairly narrow pathways around the right hand side of the double greens. And especially on one of the few courses that will always be busy, even on rainy days.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's certainly not the only reason. Trolleys cause more wear and tear on a course especially on the Old Course that has some fairly narrow pathways around the right hand side of the double greens. And especially on one of the few courses that will always be busy, even on rainy days.

Why are they allowed after 12 then?

I do not see how a push trolley would cause any additional wear on a links course where people are already walking.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Why are they allowed after 12 then?

I do not see how a push trolley would cause any additional wear on a links course where people are already walking.

Reduces the traffic over the entire day and generally more moisture on the ground in the morning, even on a dry day.

And I'm sure they do want to give people the option of a trolley, rather than a caddy, especially locals and added to the fact there is less caddy availability in the afternoon.

A trolley definitely causes more wear than walking, especially over wet ground and on any slopes.

Remember there are 45,000 rounds played on the Old Course a year. Over half will be before noon.