St Andrews - Old Course

sunshine

Visit site
They don't need to change much. Unclaimed or cancelled visitor times are automatically opened to the ballot and for the singles queue anyway. The starter will assign those tee times and with the links trust make any adjustment for managing a reduction to 2 golfers per tee if that's the advice of the government and R&A. Any free times after all that would back to the ballot and singles as usual.

I doubt very much we'll see any change in pricing. We'll find out soon though.

I think they will need to make significant changes.

The last minute approach to allocating slots, with the ballot and singles queue, encourages people to travel to St Andrews and mill around, which isn't compatible with the ethos of social distancing.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm looking at the plan now.

It's pretty much as I expected, in the first phase of opening they're using the established booking and ballot processes with tees limited to 2 balls only and it's only open to yearly ticket holders (no visitors allowed). Not all courses are opening. Strath, Jubilee and Castle will be a phased return and remain closed. The "Singles queue" on the Old is effectively telephone booking on the day of play (same as winter) so that every tee is balloted or booked in advance.

Social golf only and no facilities are opening. The only thing stopping me playing is I live 7 miles away.

Reactions: Zig
Visit site
Has anyone who registered interest heard anything yet? I think they were contacting successful applicants from yesterday but I've not heard anything.

We are having a St Andrews based weekend in September as a four-ball (me, a brother, and 2 old school/uni friends)
I emailed about 2 1/2 weeks ago - thanks to the poster for the original heads up
Heard nowt and thought oh well
Got a phone call today with an offer of playing the Old course on Friday 11th and the New course on the 12th
Cost PP = 340 - 14 days to confirm
Although pricey - seems a great opportunity - We probably won't ever easily get a chance again to play together there

D

Deleted Member 1156

We are having a St Andrews based weekend in September as a four-ball (me, a brother, and 2 old school/uni friends)
I emailed about 2 1/2 weeks ago - thanks to the poster for the original heads up
Got a phone call today with an offer of playing the Old course on Friday 11th and the New course on the 12th
Although pricey - seems a great opportunity - We probably won't ever easily get a chance again to play together there
That does seem a lot because the official rates on the website are £195 Old and £85 New. Is this through some sort of agent?

Visit site

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i'm sure the cost are less than that direct, seems a bit high

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
That is direct, I saw it last week on the St Andrews Links website - their single round offer for the Old Course ends this week.

Im staying at the Fairmont hotel at the moment, a lot of golfers staying here.
Peeing down all day here though, so probably not the best experience for the golf today.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
That does seem a lot because the official rates on the website are £195 Old and £85 New. Is this through some sort of agent?

They've ramped up prices in the last year or two for advance reservations, you'll basically pay more than the advertised green fee if you want to book a 2 course package in advance.