St Andrews - Old Course

Zig

Visit site
Just thinking ahead to the summer.... guessing approx half of the old course bookings will be cancelled due to people being unable to travel. How do you think they'll see the tee times? Will you be able to email in the hope of getting on, or will it be increased numbers of spaces in the ballot?

Thanks in advance!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
A travel ban resulting in reduced green fees would probably present the only way you’d get me on the old course. That’s not meant as a slur against the quality of the course (well debated previously) but rather that I’d rather spend that kind of money elsewhere.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd imagine if and when Scotland starts golf again it will be members only for the foreseable future, so lots of the members of the St Andrews clubs and R&A members will be playing it ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
A travel ban resulting in reduced green fees would probably present the only way you’d get me on the old course. That’s not meant as a slur against the quality of the course (well debated previously) but rather that I’d rather spend that kind of money elsewhere.

when visitors are eventually allowed it might be limited to within a certain distance, so maybe locals being able to make the most of some of the top couses...but who knows

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd imagine if and when Scotland starts golf again it will be members only for the foreseable future, so lots of the members of the St Andrews clubs and R&A members will be playing it ;)

Not much income from members only. They will want visitor income. A huge amount of cash for the links and the local economy.

Clubs in England that are used to having visitors are already taking visitors. So unless we get a separate rule up here (possible of course) then visitors will soon return.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not much income from members only. They will want visitor income. A huge amount of cash for the links and the local economy.

Clubs in England that are used to having visitors are already taking visitors. So unless we get a separate rule up here (possible of course) then visitors will soon return.
we might have some sort of travel restrictions, but who knows.

either way Castle Stuart will really struggle, we already have a really good locals rate, so i doubt they will be many extra bookings from locals, i suppose some of the courses down south will have a larger audience to call on, but i'm only guessing;)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Huge difference between "want" and what they get. Like everyone else they'll have to adhere to government guidelines.

Loads of courses will see a HUGE drop in visitor income which will be almost zero this year. Your course will be effected badly also by visitor income. Are you still ploughing ahead with the new Clubhouse or is it being put on the back burner for a while in all this???

Prepare to see a serious fee hike is my worry!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hopefully clubhouse will go ahead but with an understandable delay.

In Scotland, I would hope that golf in not restricted to members only. Wouldn't want the game to seem elitist would we?

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site

In Scotland, I would hope that golf in not restricted to members only. Wouldn't want the game to seem elitist would we?

Looking at the plans your new clubhouse is going to be magnificent up on the hill - hope it still gets done.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd imagine there will be a lot more ballot times available when things open up a bit.
We had golf booked at St Andrews for April and they were very bullish about not cancelling or refunding anyone with a UK address until well into March.

I think September, the R&A have a lot of their competitions on and the Dunhill Links is normally late September as well - so probably a window in August that would be best to try and make hay.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They don't need to change much. Unclaimed or cancelled visitor times are automatically opened to the ballot and for the singles queue anyway. The starter will assign those tee times and with the links trust make any adjustment for managing a reduction to 2 golfers per tee if that's the advice of the government and R&A. Any free times after all that would back to the ballot and singles as usual.

I doubt very much we'll see any change in pricing. We'll find out soon though.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Can't see any logical reason why Scotland should be members only as a national policy but our club is certainly planning on members only for a while as it is anticipating huge demand for a limited number of times.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could be a problem with car sharing,4 of us intended travelling together staying and playing Machrihanish in August. Hotel already booked but
if 4 cars are required we won't be going :cry:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If schools are back by then, surely 4 adults will be able to choose to travel together?

As you know the proposal for schooling is mind boggling and very unlikely unworkable around working parents if this goes ahead. Almost part time learning. There are huge obstacles to overcome in all aspects of work and life. This has a long way to run yet before any sort of normality resumes.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
They don't need to change much. Unclaimed or cancelled visitor times are automatically opened to the ballot and for the singles queue anyway. The starter will assign those tee times and with the links trust make any adjustment for managing a reduction to 2 golfers per tee if that's the advice of the government and R&A. Any free times after all that would back to the ballot and singles as usual.

I doubt very much we'll see any change in pricing. We'll find out soon though.
Price changing I don't know, but when they eventually go to 4balls (it will happen), there will be so many empty slots. If you visit the town in the middle of Summer, it seems like there are more Americans there than locals.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Emailed them yesterday to ask about 'upgrading' to the Old Course when we do our usual October trip.
The reply was they are not cancelling any tee times yet and are waiting on advice from the government about what to do.