"Ssshedule" or "Skedule"?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some say "schedule' with firm 'Sk' so that it sounds like 'Skedule'. You ok with that, or does it wind you up?

What about the letter 'H' when reciting the alphabet? It is 'Haitch' with a strong obvious H or just 'aitch'???

Anything else similar?

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I get this a lot working in the American sports media. "Offense" not "offence", "SKEDULE" not "schedule" - "ROUT" not "route" - I just change to suit the audience I am working for. It's when I call football "soccer" over here because I am so used to doing it that.

D

Deleted member 18121

I'm a SKedule kinda guy, but hearing someone say SHedule doesnt bother me.

The one that does get me though is with my Mrs...."recipe" for me is pronounced ress-ipy, whereas she says rez-ipy and drives me absolutely crazy.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I say schedule with a SH.

Saying 'haitch' is just plan wrong. 'Aitch' is correct but people add the H sound because of some psychological defect, where because the word describes H it makes people conscious of not dropping an 'H' from words, so they add one there where it doesn't actually exist.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
sch you know what!

is it Schweppes or is it Skeppes
Did you go to shool or skool?

English seems wonderfully inconsistent - often because of the original source of the word! And how many ways of prounouncing words containing 'ough' are there?!! off; ooo; owe; ow; uff; a (ugh).

I've always been a bit more sensitive/amused about some 'replacement expressions' eg the US version of 'bum-bag'!

In my first job over here, a General Manager was parachuted in by the (US owned) company. He'd been a Quarterback for an NFL team (forgotten which) until his shoulder went and had a number of 'puzzling' phrases that kept us amused in meetings!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you go to shool or skool?

English seems wonderfully inconsistent - often because of the original source of the word! And how many ways of prounouncing words containing 'ough' are there?!! off; ooo; owe; ow; uff; a (ugh).

I've always been a bit more sensitive/amused about some 'replacement expressions' eg the US version of 'bum-bag'!

In my first job over here, a General Manager was parachuted in by the (US owned) company. He'd been a Quarterback for an NFL team (forgotten which) until his shoulder went and had a number of 'puzzling' phrases that kept us amused in meetings!

I'm wondering which version you mean? Because if it's the one I'm thinking of, then it's merely a direct word substitution with another of our own words referring to exactly the same piece of anatomy. (Sorry, pedants corner...)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm wondering which version you mean? Because if it's the one I'm thinking of, then it's merely a direct word substitution with another of our own words referring to exactly the same piece of anatomy. (Sorry, pedants corner...)
Don't they call it a fanny pack? Fanny meaning bum over there, and meaning something quite different over here. Something only a lady would have.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The one that winds me up is when people pronounce medicine as medcine ............................ the word has the letter i in it twice, therefore making it a three syllable word, surely.
Then there's assume ....................... not ashume, yet I pronounce tissue as tishue.
Oh, I'm so confused that it's making my head hurt!!!

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The one that really winds me up is on the cooking shows, when the American calls it 'carmel' not 'caramel' and regardless of my audience I will still say rooter not router, to me they are different things. A rooter in IT terminology sends data to different places a router is something you use in carpentry.

Used to work with a Yorkshire lad, who had to go do some work in the New York office, he was smoker and one day he got some really funny looks when he asked a colleague if he could, "bum a fag", to me and you he was simply asking if he could scrounge a cigarette of another smoker, to the yanks well you get the gist.

D

Deleted member 15344

A few sports commentators pronounce "masters" with a flat "a". Drives me mad. The first syllable should rhyme with "car" not "lass"

Calling the British Masters the British “Marsters” - would sound like someone talking with a plum firmly shoved up their rear end

Is it cast or “carst” - Mast or “Marst”