Chipper or smartsole

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I picked up a Brontë chip master 2 for 20p re gripped it and took it the course.
I have found it really useful, the course is poor for getting a wedge on things .. hard pan in summer no lush grass that allows the club to move through the shot. Winter isn’t much better being mud and tufts ..
I also have a 50 degree smartsole 4 wedge .. so I am wondering whether I drop the chipper and current 50degree wedge and just slot that in ..
Has anyone else used the smartsole 4 wedges from Cleveland? Have you got on with them or did you find a few compromises?

The Fader

Visit site
Can't' help with the smartsole query but Chippers are an acquired taste.

I simply ask this question. What can the chipper do that a 7 or 8 iron can't ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I asked my 7 and 8 iron that many a time.. I have worked on technique. I have always played chip and runs being a links golfer and to honest I was pretty good.
But links golf the turf is on a softer sand base which doesn’t force the blade to bounce .. but I have noticed I was no longer hitting down and more picking the ball. So it might be worth a bucket doing that with the irons

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’ll be totally honest, the vast majority of those who have resorted to chippers that I know have had a short game which has broken down to such an extent that they can’t use a chipper any better than they can a 6, 7 or 8 iron to play a chip and run.

I accept there will be exceptions to that, but my first priority, in the event that I ever need to get my chipper out of the garage (yes, I’ve been there as well!!), would be a visit to our pro for a couple of lessons.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Although I am of the same camp generally - the shorter shaft, wider sole and lower centre of gravity make chippers easier to hit and tend to promote more of a putting stroke.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think a chipper has a certain je ne sais quoi, especially a Bronty Chipmaster.

In fact you've inspired me, I'm going to put one in the bag for tomorrow's big match, The Grim Reaper; youngish seniors versus ancient seniors.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

The Ping chipper is shorter and heavier than a normal iron so can be used just like a putter. It also has a very wide sole for extra forgiveness on fat shots.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a go with that PING chipper and was very impressed by it. so easy to use and felt like I was using a putter. Makes me wonder why more players do not have one. They will spend all this money having a million different wedges in their bag they do not need, so why not drop one for a Chipper?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Don’t have one but bumped into a guy at the practice area on Saturday practicing with one of these Cleveland’s alongside his regular 54. He seemed very happy with it and his closest efforts seemed to be with that club, I was struck by how unlike a chipper it looked

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a go with that PING chipper and was very impressed by it. so easy to use and felt like I was using a putter. Makes me wonder why more players do not have one. They will spend all this money having a million different wedges in their bag they do not need, so why not drop one for a Chipper?
Just feels like a waste of a club in the bag. As a poster above said, provided you don't have the yips, you can easily play a chip and run with 8, 9 or PW by gripping down, raising the heel a little and playing exactly the same shot as a chipper would do.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hybrids are excellent for a bump and run. 😉
Ah yes, I forgot that one! I use hybrids when I'm in long grass right next to the green. My 12 handicap mate who has the serious duffs also uses a hybrid around the greens now - it's the best thing he's ever done. He even tried chippers before which only worked for a while but then stopped working, but he swears by the hybrid for chipping now.