Spieth 50 Yard Low Check Spinner - Do you play it?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One of my favourite shots, prefer to play the low pitch in with a 50 or 54 rather than using the lob wedge (more control)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I love playing this type of shot.

Certain conditions make it easier to execute than others.

Lovely tight lie on a links is the best. Into the wind. Greens softened up is a real green light to fire it in aggressively.

Me too - one of my favourites. I used to play it differently than I do today.

Back at start of the summer one of the auld fellas in the club saw me out myself hitting a pitch on from about 40-50yds - was pitching it in low but my direction and consistency of strike were rubbish. He grabbed me and told me how to sort it. And his advice was simple - but it works great for me.

> 52* wedge
> address ball with ball off the right foot and take a very open stance
> imagine shot - where you want the ball to land and how you see it running out / checking
> take the club straight back - almost not a swing at all (the address and ball position prevent almost 100% the possibility of an unmentionable)
> nip off the turf and the ball will fire off directly on your line - then check quickly.

...and it does - brilliantly. Though I'm still working on doing it more consistently than I currently am. All to do with choosing landing point and how hard I want to hit it depending on roll-out / check

...but it is not good for much further out, too much non-swing backswing required.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't find a video of it now, but I think Thomas Pieters played a great one of these a month or two back. I watched the replay of it like eight times in a row, it was so good to watch. Looked like the ball was fizzing 15 feet past the hole, then stopped completely dead right next to it.

I wouldn't have the first clue how to do that so I won't be attempting it any time soon.