Spieth 50 Yard Low Check Spinner - Do you play it?

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does anyone play this shot when they are say 50 yards in from the green?

Been watch Spieth play this shot so well, today at East Lake he has got up and down constantly with this shot and it looks awesome.

I would usually hit a half lob or sand wedge up high but find it hard to get within say 6 feet for a makeable putt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXnTfgGVyV0

G

guest100718

Sorry, its a forum fact that its easier to get up and down from 100 yds and thats what everyone should leave.

Last edited:
G

guest100718

its my favorite shot when around the green, hands lead through, the ball checks then rolls out nicely. Not to be confused with the much trickier hop and stop.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I love playing this type of shot.

Certain conditions make it easier to execute than others.

Lovely tight lie on a links is the best. Into the wind. Greens softened up is a real green light to fire it in aggressively.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I play a shot that I think of as my 9 o'clock pitching wedge. Flies about 30 yards and runs out another 20. Only works if I can land it on the green or on a very smooth and flat fringe/fairway without any banks etc. in the way, though. If there is something I feel I have to get over, I'd probably take my SW and a controlled 3/4 swing.

D

Deleted member 15344

its my go to shot from around50 yards as long as there is nothing in front of the green ,look to land it about 20 ft out and let it roll out , the softer greens try and pitch it a bit higher up the green, find you get a lot more control. I see so many HC golfers trying to throw it as high as they can with the belief that it will stop quicker and its a shot that has a higher risk. More should play the low one

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In amateur golf it is called a ‘thin bullet’.

I just use one of my lower lofted wedges rather than trying to manufacture lower loft with the hands or swing. Keeping it simple works best for me.

ForeRighty

Head Pro
Visit site
My preferred shot when playing from inside 80 yards ball slightly back and aggressive swing required through the ball total commitment.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I pretend that I've played it quite a lot. It's usually a semi-thin with loads of revs on it and it seems to check up a bit.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
But that's the point. It is not a thin. A thin does not stop as soon, because it normally has way less backspin, it just keeps rolling forever. I do hit thin shots once in a while and I can tell the second the ball leaves the clubface. It is not neccessarily the height of the ballflight, more the feel of the strike ... it just zooms off and I just know that that is a ball I will have to go hunting in the rough behind the green.

The controlled low shot on the other hand feels great off the face. The low trajectory comes from the delofted clubface due to forward shaft lean, not because of poor ball striking. A thin shot, on the other hand, feels about as controllable as a wet piece of soap to me.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I often used to get asked how I play that shot from other players.

My first question to them was " What balls do you play?"

When they gave a reply which included in the answer some sort of distance or low spin ball my answer was always "change your ball to a high spin golf ball".

Generally I use a 50/52 wedge for that shot. It easier to get with greens that are very smooth with very short grass, which is one big advantage that pros have.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd love to be able to execute this shot but sadly lack of ability wins the day, so If there's nothing in the way then I'll give it a rap with my 'Texas' 😀