How do you stop focusing on score

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1147

You also need to keep that updated as well - some people get very upset if it’s not correct ?

Must admit this is a you tube channel I’m looking forward to watching ?

can’t believe the chap is so generous

the feeling I get with most of his posts...unbelievebly generous

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You ?

Must admit this is a you tube channel I’m looking forward to watching ?

can’t believe the chap is so generous

I think that since this guy is indpendently wealthy, unlike other youtube golf channels that are there as a business, this one will quickly become the biggest success. I think its great that someone of such means is willing to give back to the game, simply from altruism and love of golf. Which is all the more impressive from someone whose scores indicate about a 15 handicap, and not yet another talented plus man or pro that plays such a different game to the bulk of us.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think that since this guy is indpendently wealthy, unlike other youtube golf channels that are there as a business, this one will quickly become the biggest success. I think its great that someone of such means is willing to give back to the game, simply from altruism and love of golf. Which is all the more impressive from someone whose scores indicate about a 15 handicap, and not yet another talented plus man or pro that plays such a different game to the bulk of us.
And don't forget, he will also buy all his subscribers expensive gifts and new kit just to show how great a person he is :cool:

D

Deleted member 1147

The op clearly believes he’s being edgy & mixing the forum up. It’s been done a lot better before. It’s an old act.
Markgs, timgolfy, that fella who was mates with retief goosen & called everyone peasants. Legends the lot of em
Mr Ping in his white Range Rover?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was thinking of hanging around Troon looking sadly at my old push trolly. Would love a new trendy lithium battery one.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Inconsistency is part of golf. You cannot look at your better scores and say that is your level, and ignore the poorer ones and say your are just inconsistent at the moment. That is deluding yourself. Your golf level, and handicap if you are not cheating by not putting cards in, is the totality of your scores. From the best to the worst.
Good golf is about consistency. Consistency is not a separate aspect.

I do agree with most of what you say here, except the "cheating by not putting cards in..." viewpoint.
It has become the thing , since WHS to encourage( and that is a mild word) members to put in cards most times they play. In the name of eliminating cheating. I see the rationale, which does indicate the latest ability of the honourable player? But of course that doesn't stop cheating( by manipulating handicap), in fact, the cheat can and will use the submission of cards as a means to cheat. And maybe easier than before?
Suppose the cheat sees a lucrative Open coming up next month or so. He then submits three cards a week ensuring he plays worse than normal. Easy to do and hard to detect. By the time the Open arrives, his index is well up.
In the "old days", you entered competition to change handicap. That change could be dramatic or mild, depending on handicap sec or committee, who may have suspicions or knowledge re motives.
There are complaints on here re 50 points. Some of us allow that it could easily happen if everything fell right on the day for the player, some say must be a bandit, some say the system allows it to easily.- whatever. In the old days, the human adjudicator(s) could prune or slash the handicap as they saw fit, not being immune from rumour or bar talk.
Now it's down to computer.
So, what I'm saying is that cheating isn't being eliminated by WHS, but it is (from what I read) encouraging thoughts that those not entering cards between competition ought to be.
Well, I don't put in supplementaries because When I play I want to play relaxed golf, not always to the strict rules. I may want a mulligan, I may want to go for a hero shot with my 4 wood that I cannot hit properly most of the time, etc. My partners and I may want to advise each other etc.
(For clarity, when I do enter my Senior competitions, I insist on full obeying of the rules- something for which I have been criticised as being "fussy" etc.)

Also, most people are quite capable of improving "worse" ? as much as improving better between competitions.
Players used to be able to play occasionally in competition without looking over their shoulder, and it seems to me that that is now changing.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do agree with most of what you say here, except the "cheating by not putting cards in..." viewpoint.
I
Suppose the cheat sees a lucrative Open coming up next month or so. He then submits three cards a week ensuring he plays worse than normal. Easy to do and hard to detect. By the time the Open arrives, his index is well up.

How many cards would someone have to submit to get their handicap "well up"? I suspect you may have to get at least 20 in to completely 'wipe' your original handicap and then wouldn't the capping system kick in?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
How many cards would someone have to submit to get their handicap "well up"? I suspect you may have to get at least 20 in to completely 'wipe' your original handicap and then wouldn't the capping system kick in?

It depends on how many of your best 8 are "elderly" rounds and are likely to drop off the last 20 quickly....if you've got mostly newer scores counting as your best 8 then it will take some work to shift them with new bad scores and

1) a decent handicap admin will/should spot the sudden frequency of bad scores
2) as you say the capping system will limit the increases somewhat

That's not to say that it cannot be done.....but I genuinely like to think that it is only a tiny minority of folks would would make such an active concerted effort. Its not like the old Congu days where you might be sat on X.2 and think....if I throw in three quick poor rounds i'll get up to point 5 so I'll get a shot back.....that was relatively easy to do for anyone.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or you could just ask the guy who plays at east ren, all the green keepers there know I’m retired. Or maybe ask the guy from Troon who knows everyone down Troon the 3 ball I played with all know I’m retired. That’s how I actually got to meet the guys down Troon one came upto me and said if he ever wins the lottery he would buy my car and no I’ve not won the lottery, the lottery is something poor people play.

I have maybe played with 20 odd people since starting golf and i have never asked anyone what they do for a living even after they all ask me, because I’m just not interested.
Everyone I meet is always obsessed with me and worry about how I made my money ?and again this can be verified by the Troon guy since he knows them, the day after I played with the Troon boys I felt bad taking there £1 and they kept banging on about me being a bandit so I gave the big tall fella a bottle worth about £700 next time I seen him and the other Welsh guy I gave a new trolly cause he said he was looking at buying one. Both tried to give me money but I refused but my point being I’m not actually a bad person in fact I actually bought a young man a full set of irons too after playing a round with him. He didn’t know anything about me said he was getting right into golf and had golf clubs given to him, ended up having a laugh with him his irons were too small for him and really old rest of his clubs were old but not that bad. End of the game I had just under £500 in my pocket told him to treat himself to some new irons. I like to do random acts of kindness.

Was it a big compensation payout after suffering an injury of some sort? A head injury perhaps?

All I can say is good for you, enjoy it, I hope you’re happy.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Even if the OP is wealthy or retired why does that actually matter ? Why would you feel the need to talk about it unless you are trying to impress someone. I run a business and know many genuinely very wealthy people and for the most part most of them are really down to earth and don’t even talk about what they have because having this or that isn’t new to them, it’s not the be all and end all. I’ve very close family who are multi millionaires multiple times over though I’ve never once heard them boast about it, for the most part it doesn’t matter. Family matters, happiness matters. We all still work to keep ourselves sane and we can afford the luxury of not worrying about where we are finding this or that. Not sure it matters to most people what others have, certainly not to me. Most folk just like genuinely nice people who they can relate to, not the materialistic tossers who show up every now and then.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Stop throwing your weight around, plenty of others are replying as well.

Its my job to throw my considerable weight around if I think that thread is going downhill, your comments on this thread are not constructive, all they are doing is provoking a response, which goes back & forth degenerating as it goes on.

Ignore Mod guidence at ones peril (y)

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Even if the OP is wealthy or retired why does that actually matter ? Why would you feel the need to talk about it unless you are trying to impress someone. I run a business and know many genuinely very wealthy people and for the most part most of them are really down to earth and don’t even talk about what they have because having this or that isn’t new to them, it’s not the be all and end all. I’ve very close family who are multi millionaires multiple times over though I’ve never once heard them boast about it, for the most part it doesn’t matter. Family matters, happiness matters. We all still work to keep ourselves sane and we can afford the luxury of not worrying about where we are finding this or that. Not sure it matters to most people what others have, certainly not to me. Most folk just like genuinely nice people who they can relate to, not the materialistic tossers who show up every now and then.

A friend of mine teaches in a public school. Some very wealthy parents and children, mostly great. Some of the worst are what are he calls ‘new money.’

Status
Not open for further replies.