How do you stop focusing on score

Status
Not open for further replies.

G1z1

Visit site
Bit more humble bragging, methinks?
More look at how good I am after only playing for a few months rather than actually wanting advice
My personal best is +2 at east ren and I’ve broke 80 loads of times and said it in the past so no bragging +7 is nothing to shout about even for me. I genuinely confused why I go off after playing well. I think someone got it spot on saying after a bad hole or two you start to chase the score, after going +2 I was desperate to get a birdie and was trying maybe too hard.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
My personal best is +2 at east ren and I’ve broke 80 loads of times and said it in the past so no bragging +7 is nothing to shout about even for me. I genuinely confused why I go off after playing well. I think someone got it spot on saying after a bad hole or two you start to chase the score, after going +2 I was desperate to get a birdie and was trying maybe too hard.

Might be worth updating what your handicap is, as I would guess at the moment most people think you are around 20 given your end of year 1 figure of 24.

G1z1

Visit site
Might be worth updating what your handicap is, as I would guess at the moment most people think you are around 20 given your end of year 1 figure of 24.
I won’t update it until the last day of the season, just don’t see the point in updating it multiple times throughout the year but I am very much on track for my targets

D

Deleted member 23270

+7 is nothing to shout about even for me.
I know how you feel, my PH is 34.2 and I'm disappointed when I don't break 80. Not checked the results yet but think I won the medal on Saturday had a nett 53 (course is par71). Not happy with my score but should get about a ton in pro shop credit and some sweep money too. Hopefully enough to get a few of my cars valeted :)

John Evans 9

Visit site
I won’t update it until the last day of the season, just don’t see the point in updating it multiple times throughout the year but I am very much on track for my targets
How do you really know you are on track if you don’t test yourself in competition ? It looks as though you have made good progress with your overall game but it looks as if you are just practising. There is a big difference between being able to hit a golf ball and being able to play golf when it matters. To improve your handicap, which is your stated aim, you must put the cards in. What’s stopping you ?

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
How do you really know you are on track if you don’t test yourself in competition ? It looks as though you have made good progress with your overall game but it looks as if you are just practising. There is a big difference between being able to hit a golf ball and being able to play golf when it matters. To improve your handicap, which is your stated aim, you must put the cards in. What’s stopping you ?

Yeah i broke 80 off the yellows in a social round and although happy... i only felt like i achieved it once i'd done it with a card in my hand and off the whites

same with my hole in one as well i was buzzing with it being in a competition seemed to matter more?

might just be me

G1z1

Visit site
I’ve been putting cards in since last month so i know exactly where I am, just you lot all think I’m someone else ?

John Evans 9

Visit site
Your golf story is very interesting but I am even more intrigued by how you have worked extremely hard ( although not for long ) to have made enough to retire in your early twenties and to keep you going all this time. It’s a great position to be in especially without the hindrance of a good education. What was your area of expertise/luck ?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

It might just change the tone of some peoples posts on here. I dont mind personally, I'm enjoying the comedy side of your threads rather than getting worked up about them.

I'll just go with you being a 10 handicap as per your previous statements that one of the scoring apps has given you.

G1z1

Visit site
Your golf story is very interesting but I am even more intrigued by how you have worked extremely hard ( although not for long ) to have made enough to retire in your early twenties and to keep you going all this time. It’s a great position to be in especially without the hindrance of a good education. What was your area of expertise/luck ?
? a good education will most likely get you a bad job under 100k a year working to make someone else rich. I decided at a young age that wouldn’t be me and every single one of my mates who are millionaires are not educated to a degree level.

lucky in business Lucky in golf lucky in life

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Why would you stop focusing on score ? The whole objective of the game is to score as low as possible ( gross that is , we all know how you brag about shooting a gross 90 less your hacker handicap )

You have to identify your own feelings, if that is the problem rather than technique or ability. If you can’t deal with nerves very well then you have to put yourself in the situation more and learn to use them positively. It might be something simple like having a single swing thought, or become really target oriented when you are hitting a shot. It may be that you’re approaching things differently when you think you are on a good score, generally these are all things that come with experience. Most good players learn to embrace pressure and actually use it to motivate themselves, like going for a personal record of a course record or winning something

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As posted on 8 Jun:

I have on occasions broke 80 from the yellows but also shot 100 in the same week as my screen shots have shown

Full of himself and just on the wind up

G1z1

Visit site
As posted on 8 Jun:

I have on occasions broke 80 from the yellows but also shot 100 in the same week as my screen shots have shown

Full of himself and just on the wind up
You can’t just pick one line from things I’ve said ? and it doesn’t even make sense how is that me at the wind up ?

Screen shot showed I broke 80 and shot 100 in same week but I’ve said I’m in the process of completely changing my swing so I was expecting wildly inconsistent scores. I am now just starting to settle into my new swing. I can hit a draw with my irons but only recently started to see this cross over to my driver. Still expect it’s going to be a battle to keep the in to out swing path for a while until it’s bedded in.
6 months ago I was starting to break 80 semi consistent with the old swing, so again how am I at the wind up ?
Also find it hilarious you have looked through my old posts just to fail

Last edited:

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Well, I think it’s about mental approach.

i‘ve broken 80 twice, casual rounds, last time out I was 89!!

What I do is just tell myself it doesn’t really matter. I’d like to get to single figures but it won’t change my life one way or the other, literally, it’s just a game and I’m playing for fun. That said, apparantly I’m extremely laid back, but literally don’t have a competitive bone in my body!

I suspect you may have a very different, more driven approach to golf, and other things in life, and that is fine.

RRidges

Visit site
There's only 3 or 4 ways I know that could provide that benefit and security so rapidly, though would be intrigued to learn of others (though probably too late or unlikely for me). Those ways are Inheritance (possible but unlikely), Incredible investments/developments (possible but lack of visibility indicates not), Lottery win (possible but unlikely and visibility again) and Crime (I certainly hope not)!
Alternatively, it could all be BS or a wind-up, which seems far more likely to me. Fun to follow though.

RRidges

Visit site
I’ve been putting cards in since last month so i know exactly where I am, just you lot all think I’m someone else ?

And from June 8 on an earlier, closed, thread...
<Quote>
G1z1 said:
Going to clear this up as people clearly have trouble reading my previous posts.

I have on occasions broke 80 from the yellows but also shot 100 in the same week as my screen shots have shown. I have always said I am wildly inconsistent in scoring and didn’t want to hand in a card until the good weather came in and I felt more consistent. Ok probably could of started to play medals last month but felt I was just playing too inconsistent and who cares what people think, I know I’m not a bandit.

<end quote>

How do you explain the inconsistency of the 2 bold bits?

Oh, and to answer the question posed by the thread title -
Play more competitions and/or counting rounds and your overall score awareness will eventually fade to simply concentrate on the score for the current hole.

Last edited:

G1z1

Visit site
I did start to work on my handicap from last month just didn’t say because a good few on the forum seemed obsessed with me not putting cards in and I found it quite amusing.
I have setup a YouTube channel haven’t recorded any videos yet but I’ll link one when I do soon and everyone can see my game and have a guess at what my handicap is.

G1z1

Visit site
There's only 3 or 4 ways I know that could provide that benefit and security so rapidly, though would be intrigued to learn of others (though probably too late or unlikely for me). Those ways are Inheritance (possible but unlikely), Incredible investments/developments (possible but lack of visibility indicates not), Lottery win (possible but unlikely and visibility again) and Crime (I certainly hope not)!
Alternatively, it could all be BS or a wind-up, which seems far more likely to me. Fun to follow though.
Or you could just ask the guy who plays at east ren, all the green keepers there know I’m retired. Or maybe ask the guy from Troon who knows everyone down Troon the 3 ball I played with all know I’m retired. That’s how I actually got to meet the guys down Troon one came upto me and said if he ever wins the lottery he would buy my car and no I’ve not won the lottery, the lottery is something poor people play.

I have maybe played with 20 odd people since starting golf and i have never asked anyone what they do for a living even after they all ask me, because I’m just not interested.
Everyone I meet is always obsessed with me and worry about how I made my money ?and again this can be verified by the Troon guy since he knows them, the day after I played with the Troon boys I felt bad taking there £1 and they kept banging on about me being a bandit so I gave the big tall fella a bottle worth about £700 next time I seen him and the other Welsh guy I gave a new trolly cause he said he was looking at buying one. Both tried to give me money but I refused but my point being I’m not actually a bad person in fact I actually bought a young man a full set of irons too after playing a round with him. He didn’t know anything about me said he was getting right into golf and had golf clubs given to him, ended up having a laugh with him his irons were too small for him and really old rest of his clubs were old but not that bad. End of the game I had just under £500 in my pocket told him to treat himself to some new irons. I like to do random acts of kindness.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

Or you could just ask the guy who plays at east ren, all the green keepers there know I’m retired. Or maybe ask the guy from Troon who knows everyone down Troon the 3 ball I played with all know I’m retired. That’s how I actually got to meet the guys down Troon one came upto me and said if he ever wins the lottery he would buy my car and no I’ve not won the lottery, the lottery is something poor people play.

I have maybe played with 20 odd people since starting golf and i have never asked anyone what they do for a living even after they all ask me, because I’m just not interested.
Everyone I meet is always obsessed with me and worry about how I made my money ?and again this can be verified by the Troon guy since he knows them, the day after I played with the Troon boys I felt bad taking there £1 and they kept banging on about me being a bandit so I gave the big tall fella a bottle worth about £700 next time I seen him and the other Welsh guy I gave a new trolly cause he said he was looking at buying one. Both tried to give me money but I refused but my point being I’m not actually a bad person in fact I actually bought a young man a full set of irons too after playing a round with him. He didn’t know anything about me said he was getting right into golf and had golf clubs given to him, ended up having a laugh with him his irons were too small for him and really old rest of his clubs were old but not that bad. End of the game I had just under £500 in my pocket told him to treat himself to some new irons. I like to do random acts of kindness.
Aaawww that's lovely to read ❤

I think you should buy or build your own club and be the only member there. Employ all the greenkeepers from East Ren and then you'd win every competition and there would be nobody to call you a bandit. Win/win!

Status
Not open for further replies.