Sometimes you've just got to laugh

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Went out myself at 3.15 yesterday, knew it was going to be touch and go to get 18 in before it got dark.

Was going along fine until the 7th when I got stuck behind a slow 3 ball who were all over the place. One of them was this massively overweight guy. When I was walking up the 8th, he was sat on his backside on the 9th tee, blowing hard.

I finished the 8th as they were teeing off. The big guy duffed his tee shot, picked his ball up and trudged down the 9th after his 2 mates. When they finished on the green, 2 of them headed to the 10th, while the big lad headed in the direction of the clubhouse / car park.

I thought "great, that should speed them up", however as I was putting on the 9th green, I heard the noise of crunching gravel, looked up, to see fatty in a buggy, driving towards the 10th!

I gave up at that point :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Went out myself at 3.15 yesterday, knew it was going to be touch and go to get 18 in before it got dark.

Was going along fine until the 7th when I got stuck behind a slow 3 ball who were all over the place. One of them was this massively overweight guy. When I was walking up the 8th, he was sat on his backside on the 9th tee, blowing hard.

I finished the 8th as they were teeing off. The big guy duffed his tee shot, picked his ball up and trudged down the 9th after his 2 mates. When they finished on the green, 2 of them headed to the 10th, while the big lad headed in the direction of the clubhouse / car park.

I thought "great, that should speed them up", however as I was putting on the 9th green, I heard the noise of crunching gravel, looked up, to see fatty in a buggy, driving towards the 10th!

I would have been politely asking to play through long before the 9th

JGolfer

Visit site

Just out of curiosity, if he has been a skinny fella would you have mentioned his weight?

If he is massively overweight at-least he is out getting some exercise. Did you ask them to play through? You don’t mention if you did.

But I suppose different people have a different idea of what is funny.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just out of curiosity, if he has been a skinny fella would you have mentioned his weight?

If he is massively overweight at-least he is out getting some exercise. Did you ask them to play through? You don’t mention if you did.

I think in the context of this story his weight is relevant, he was out of breath and having to sit down to recover?

JGolfer

Visit site
I think in the context of this story his weight is relevant, he was out of breath and having to sit down to recover?

It’s only in context if it’s funny to laugh at an overweight person trying to exercise and getting tired (would the conversation be the same if I said sometimes you have to laugh at a fat guy exercising at the gym and getting tired and sitting down)

If it was a skinny person I doubt op would have made a thread.

And personally I’d rather applaud an over weight person trying to exercise than find it funny he was struggling.

But each to their own.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It’s only in context if it’s funny to laugh at an overweight person trying to exercise and getting tired (would the conversation be the same if I said sometimes you have to laugh at a fat guy exercising at the gym and getting tired and sitting down)

And personally I’d rather applaud an over weight person trying to exercise than find it funny he was struggling.

But each to their own.

it probably adds context as to why they were slow. Forget poor ability and obsessive psr’s. If a guy needs a breather after walking a hole and then Needs a buggy, he’s likely to be causing slow play. Which is why the op gave up. Not because the guy was fat. If he was skinny, then the sitting down and getting a buggy would likely not of occurred......

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

But each to their own.

Where did I say I thought it was funny he was struggling?

What made me laugh was me getting my hopes up that the pace would improve when he walked off, only for him to reappear 5 minutes later in a buggy.

But if you want to be offended, crack on mate.

sunshine

Visit site

But each to their own.

I get what you're trying to say, but golf's not even exercise so your analogy doesn't work.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

The Snow flake brigade is out again. It must be so tiring to live a life dissecting every word you see or hear.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I get what you're trying to say, but golf's not even exercise so your analogy doesn't work.

Of course it is exercise!! Why do you think that so many Americans use carts? :ROFLMAO:

Absolutely true story... some time back we had a soc day at the (now closed) Belmont Hotel in Herefordshire. 36 holes , lunch and dinner. One of our guys (who is a larger gentleman!) had said he wasn't going to play the afternoon round, and would watch as we came through. It was a hot day and the odd glass of red may have helped him digest his lunch - anyway, he went out and sat on the grass behind a green, eventually he fell asleep. One of the folk in the bar spotted him, fearing the worst, rang for an ambulance!! Much commotion followed and not in time to cancel the ambulance!! He hasn't been allowed to forget it!

(if he had been a skinny guy, he may or may not have fallen asleep, ambulance may or may not have been called, other proportions are available. Please read the label)

JGolfer

Visit site
Where did I say I thought it was funny he was struggling?

What made me laugh was me getting my hopes up that the pace would improve when he walked off, only for him to reappear 5 minutes later in a buggy.

But if you want to be offended, crack on mate.

If that is what was funny, then his weight is entirely irrelevant to story. As what your finding funny has nothing to do with his weight?

Maybe not to a lot of people, but 3+ mile walk to someone as overweight as op mentions is probably a good chunk of exercise.

Snow flake brigade out again. It must be so tiring to live a life dissecting every word you see or hear

Not really, let’s assume someone comments fatty who is behind him one day, and the guy gets disheartened and gives up golf. For a sport that has been struggling with being people in, that does nothing but alienate people.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If that is what was funny, then his weight is entirely irrelevant to story. As what your finding funny has nothing to do with his weight?

Maybe not to a lot of people, but 3+ mile walk to someone as overweight as op mentions is probably a good chunk of exercise.

Not really, let’s assume someone comments fatty who is behind him one day, and the guy gets disheartened and gives up golf. For a sport that has been struggling with being people in, that does nothing but alienate people.

Like I said. Snow flakes

sunshine

Visit site
Your doctor is an idiot. ?.

Golf is a physical activity but it isn't exactly strenuous. It's not really getting your heart rate up is it? It's not increasing cardiovascular endurance or strengthening muscle mass so I'd suggest the doctor knows what he's talking about.

Again, there is an age related component to this.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Golf is a good part of getting out and leading an activity lifestyle combined with a good diet and some other forms of exercise.
It's not going to help someone lose any pounds but it's a good part of somebody's overall programme.
I play squash competitively 2 or 3 times a week which is intense cardio but my golf round every 1-2 weeks will also contribute.

Like one of my (larger) colleagues says, however slow he's going on his runs, he's still lapping those sat on the sofa!

Back on the OP's topic though - you couldn't have written that. Hilarious