Socks - what's your clubs rules

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
As it says above

I like to play in shorts weather permitting

I also wear spikeless shoes, with black ankle socks although I do own White sports type socks

My club are fairly relaxed about this and doing well at present introducing waiting list to join as about 2k members

I played as a guest in the week at another club - did see dress code for white socks but it was not enforced

What your club like? just out of interest

Personally I think it's a much better look, also the ladies tend to wear ankle socks also - so what's the difference

I'm not old school to golf only been playing 6 years or so

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
our club likes us to wear them, after that they leave it up to us as to colour, length etc. There again the standards are far more relaxed than plenty of other clubs

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played North Hants this summer and had shorts with black ankle socks. Pro insisted I had to wear white, so was effectively forced to purchase a £10 pair of white socks from the shop otherwise I wasn't allowed to play. Pathetic IMHO

D

Deleted member 15344

Clubs will always vary in regards socks

Most require white ankle or calf socks , a good number will allow black and the odd few will only allow shorts with socks up to the knees

As with all dress codes some won't like what the clubs enforce and there is always the choice not to play the course. Easy to check the rules before hand

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Socks up to the knees is so silly its unbelievable.

Trousers being banned from being tucked into socks is also a daft one as it leaves the trousers much cleaner during mucky wet winter golf should the need arise.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At a place I'll call my 'away' club 😃 It's white socks, not ankle ones either. No idea why, when I've played much more upmarket clubs and not a things been mentioned.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We need to wear them during a round but not required in clubhouse afterwards
(although no one will say anything if you wish to wear them in the bar etc unless you've got flip flops on of course!)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I've also seen someone have to purchase white socks at a tenner from the pro shop because they turned up with light grey ones with a logo on them (in fact they were white ones that had gone in the wrong wash) with shorts once. Where as some old geezer waltzed past us wearing woolen socks up to his knees looking like he'd come from the 1920s.

Silly rule IMHO that just perpetuates the impression that golf is played by geriatric out of date fuddy duddies. If someone gets upset by the colour of someones socks then they need to take a long hard look at themselves really.;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
White socks on the course but we are far more relaxed in the clubhouse to the point you can wear deck shoes and shorts and not have to wear socks (correctly as the two don't go). Why in this day and age is it still the really small, pathetic stuff that annoys those in charge at clubs the most

D

Deleted member 15344

I've also seen someone have to purchase white socks at a tenner from the pro shop because they turned up with light grey ones with a logo on them (in fact they were white ones that had gone in the wrong wash) with shorts once. Where as some old geezer waltzed past us wearing woolen socks up to his knees looking like he'd come from the 1920s.

Silly rule IMHO that just perpetuates the impression that golf is played by geriatric out of date fuddy duddies. If someone gets upset by the colour of someones socks then they need to take a long hard look at themselves really.;)

Or possibly its just about people respecting the rights of a golf club to set the standards they would like to see

As with everything - we all have a choice , if oyu would like to play at a certain golf club then abide by their rules , if you dont then you can go and play at another course. Still not heard of many people giving up the game or not playing because of a dress code.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Or possibly its just about people respecting the rights of a golf club to set the standards they would like to see

As with everything - we all have a choice , if oyu would like to play at a certain golf club then abide by their rules , if you dont then you can go and play at another course. Still not heard of many people giving up the game or not playing because of a dress code.

Which is fine in principal but it usually gets flouted by members who will go out in black or other colour socks and no-one will say a word and it's always the green fee, paying hard earned and much needed cash to a club that's treated as a second class citizen and pulled up on the smallest detail. I'm all for clubs having rules and standards as long as they are upheld across the board

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

Or possibly we are both right. Yes everyone has a choice and can go where they want and yes you follow the rules. But at the same time it is a silly old fashioned rule that makes the game seem out of touch and just for old people. Every major golf mag in the UK in editorials plus the most prominent CEOs and media commentators say the game needs to be made more attractive. And when ever relaxing dress codes are mentioned as one way of doing this then the sock rule is usually the one they use as an example of the silliness of them at times.

Plus it is not the giving up of the game that is the problem, no one gives up the game because of a dress code and no one is claiming that they do. But it is attracting the younger generation and getting them interested in the first place which is where this would be one area that would have a small impact.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Following rules is fine but that doesn't mean folk can't have a view on a rule, its suitability or its enforcement, although I have to wonder what went wrong in the first place in order for there to be a requirement for a ‘sock rule’ at many clubs.
I mean at some point a committee sat down to discuss the need for a rule on the type of socks that are permissible! Why?

I can only imagine some widespread mob mentality incident involving no socks or fluorescent colours back in the day that this generation of golfers is still suffering for now but google doesn’t throw up any news on it

Forumers, was your father/grandfather one of these sock rebels?

D

Deleted member 15344

Or possibly we are both right. Yes everyone has a choice and can go where they want. But at the same time it is a silly old fashioned rule that makes the game seem out of touch and just for old people. Every major golf mag in the UK in editorials plus the most prominent CEOs and media commentators say the game needs to be made more attractive. And when ever relaxing dress codes are mentioned as one way of doing this then the sock rule is usually the one they use as an example of the silliness of them at times.

Plus it is not the giving up of the game that is the problem, no one gives up the game because of a dress code and no one is claiming that they do. But it is attracting the younger generation and getting them interested in the first place.

Remember calling it "silly old fashioned rule" is just an opinion - some clubs would like to keep any dress code rules because of the clubs beliefs and they dont see it as silly or old fashioned but a maintaining of standards. And whilst i know dress codes is one of your biggest bug bears within golf - not many surveys seem to point towards dress code as being a factor putting people of taking up golf.

There will always be a club within a persons reach that will satisfy any requirement on what they wish to wear.

I also think its not really a big issue within the game right now in regards wearing socks - played golf clubs up and down the country and seen people wear all manner of socks and no one has seen an issue. There will always be the odd club but that doesnt mean its a majority.

Last edited by a moderator:

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In my opinion, one of golf clubs' more pathetic rules. Lots of talk about standards but what about the actual logic? I could turn up head to toe in the most gross Rickie Fowler luminous green and orange combo but providing there was a bit of white fabric in view above my shoes that would be ok. It's a bit like when your mum told you not to do something and when you questioned why the only answer you got was "Because I said so".

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The fact that any rule exists about socks is grim reading to anyone from outside the sport and helps to perpetuate the fuddy duddy image of the game. I can't imagine any other sport having this discussion.

Black socks and shorts are a fashion disaster but no more than that.

Well posted Satchfan.