Snow Watch

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Heading out for a game shortly, it's just started snowing here on the NE coast. Hoping it comes to nothing, as looks like today is going to be the last round for the next week or so if the forecast is to be believed.

How's it looking in your neck of the woods?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Heading out for a game shortly, it's just started snowing here on the NE coast. Hoping it comes to nothing, as looks like today is going to be the last round for the next week or so if the forecast is to be believed.

not bad here at the moment, sunny earlier now looks a bit grey. Prob too cold for snow at the moment;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
About 2 inches deep outside my front door which is about as far as I am going this week.
14 loaves of bread, 12 pints of milk and 3 sacks of potatoes stored away so I won't starve.

;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

You are bonkers going out today :D. Good luck, that is dedication to the game.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well, all the forecasts were showing snow showers between 7 and 10 this morning and it's been so bright I'm having to keep the curtains closed ......
Rule 4 - don't get me started on weather forecasters:rofl:

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty decent weather up in North Wales. It was -1at 8am but no frost on the car for the first time in 3 days. Hopefully we are going to miss the worst of it and my game at West Lancs on Friday will go ahead.

U

User62651

1 deg C at 0745 here in mid - west Scotland, we should miss the coming weather event. Love easterlies, always bring sunny and dry (if cold) weather to the west. Anything to get a break from mild wet windy Atlantic weather is good. Weather this weekend past was just perfect.

D

Deleted member 17920

We have a decent covering today.

Both courses closed.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
1 deg C at 0745 here in mid - west Scotland, we should miss the coming weather event. Love easterlies, always bring sunny and dry (if cold) weather to the west. Anything to get a break from mild wet windy Atlantic weather is good. Weather this weekend past was just perfect.

We are the opposite here, hate an easterly, always brings cold and often wet weather to Nairn. Where as a westerly much milder and due to the way the weather comes in always seams to miss The Course . on the Whole Nairn is very dry and always get better weather than Inverness

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Clear blue skies in the hills above Chepstow, bright and sunny. Mind you the wind will cut you in half!

Playing Porthcawl Winter Open tomorrow..... I will be wearing all the clothes I have! (Think Joey in Friends!)

Edit: Then I get a text to say that Porthcawl have cancelled the event as much snow forecast tonight. There will be a heatwave tomorrow now probably!

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well, all the forecasts were showing snow showers between 7 and 10 this morning and it's been so bright I'm having to keep the curtains closed ......
Rule 4 - don't get me started on weather forecasters:rofl:

it snowed an hour or so north of you, it snowed an hour south of you, pretty harsh expecting them to forecast the gap in the middle ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
coming down faster now in Surrey/Hants borders area - and looking at the clouds - they look like snow clouds...so maybe set in for a while

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Was the merest icing sugar like dusting in/around Ipswich at 7am this morning. Saw sod all around Colchester during my commute to work down the A12 but Brentwood seemed to have had about a centimeter.

Got a feeling that its not going to be as bad as predicted.

U

User62651

Does it ever get too cold for snow? If it did, then how do they have snow in the Arctic, etc where it is much colder than here. I think this is a myth

Think you need high pressure for very cold weather. Snow and snow clouds are quite insulating but come via low pressure weather systems. High pressure means clear skies and dry, the clear skies is what allows the earth to cool and bring low low temperatures. Could be wrong though.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You are bonkers going out today :D. Good luck, that is dedication to the game.

Just back, really enjoyed it. Had a few flurries, a couple of them quite heavy, but nothing sustained. Course was deserted, looked like everyone else who had booked a tee time this morning decided to give it a miss. More fool them, course was in decent nick, and no snow lying on the ground.

Scored 35 points, and played a lot better than yesterday. Hoping to get back out later in the week, but realistically, can't see that happening, think we got lucky this morning.