Apple Watch apps

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve been using hole19 for years now, I like that I’m able to just use it for distances and putting my score directly onto the watch. Can’t be doing with fetching my phone out of my pocket and I’m set in my ways!

They’ve only gone and updated the app to the point that my version of the Apple Watch is no longer compatible, it’s too old! Gutted.

So, has anyone come across any apps that show distance and allow you to put the score onto the watch, both in a strokeplay format and stableford?

I’ve tried vspar, looks good, does stableford as well as strokeplay, but you have to put the score in on your phone.

I’ve also got the Taylormade one, which is great, free, allows you to input the score on your watch, but, it’s only strokeplay.

Yes, I appreciate I could change my ways to get my phone out, or keep track of stableford on a card, but I’m hoping I can find an app similar to hole19 that still works with my watch.

Thanks!

Smoj

Visit site
Been using the grint on my phone for the last 3/4 months and I like it alot, recently got an apple watch and the watch app works perfectly. have to have the app running on the phone and in gps mode to get the info on the watch.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been using the grint on my phone for the last 3/4 months and I like it alot, recently got an apple watch and the watch app works perfectly. have to have the app running on the phone and in gps mode to get the info on the watch.

Thanks, I’ll check it out 👍🏻

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
You’ll always have backward compatibility issues at some point. I’d reckon any apps found will be short lived. I see both sides of the argument on this one as you are happy with your watch and don’t want to upgrade unnecessarily but the cost of keeping old platforms open for each expiring generation would be astronomical for companies like Apple. Also, the IT market by definition is designed to keep progressing.

Jason.H

Visit site
Been using swing u recently on my phone. Not subscribing for in depth stats though. It came useful playing new courses particulary blind tee shots and doglegs ect. Not sure if it’s any good on a watch tbh.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’ve used golf shot for a number of years and it’s pretty good. Can’t comment on the Stableford functionality as I’ve never used it.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You’ll always have backward compatibility issues at some point. I’d reckon any apps found will be short lived. I see both sides of the argument on this one as you are happy with your watch and don’t want to upgrade unnecessarily but the cost of keeping old platforms open for each expiring generation would be astronomical for companies like Apple. Also, the IT market by definition is designed to keep progressing.

I suspect you’re probably correct, and as I don’t really fancy spending a couple of hundred quid on a new watch I think I’ll try and adapt. The Taylormade one is pretty decent but you can’t skip holes, pick up or just use the gps (easily) and so I’ll just use it for medals.

I’m trialling VPAR after work tonight, seems decent apart from having to enter your score onto your phone. Will see how clunky it is later.

Thanks for the replies.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I suspect you’re probably correct, and as I don’t really fancy spending a couple of hundred quid on a new watch I think I’ll try and adapt. The Taylormade one is pretty decent but you can’t skip holes, pick up or just use the gps (easily) and so I’ll just use it for medals.

I’m trialling VPAR after work tonight, seems decent apart from having to enter your score onto your phone. Will see how clunky it is later.

Thanks for the replies.
don’t know if this interests you but you can get a shot scope v3 for £120 off Amazon right now. When you consider some app subscriptions it will pay for itself in no time and you can track your shots too.

There’ll be loads second hand on eBay two as they’ve just given a decent upgrade offer to their new watch for their existing users. The new watch is designed to be a premium offering rather than a replacement as I understand it.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
don’t know if this interests you but you can get a shot scope v3 for £120 off Amazon right now. When you consider some app subscriptions it will pay for itself in no time and you can track your shots too.

There’ll be loads second hand on eBay two as they’ve just given a decent upgrade offer to their new watch for their existing users. The new watch is designed to be a premium offering rather than a replacement as I understand it.

Thanks mate. I had one and hated it, got a refund luckily.