Slow play again

Springveldt

Visit site
Think tee time spacing helps

Personally I think it works better with 10 minutes between times

Also think clubs need clocks on the tee and you only tee off at peak times when it's your tee time. Rather than oh their out of range now

Once played a course and they wouldn't let you tee off until the group in front was off the 1st green (320 yard par 4) course was Ramo but we all got round without hold ups in 3 hours 30 mins

Spacing is king
One of my pet peeves. 10 minute spacing, you tee off at 8:20 and all 4 of you par the first, a 330 yard par 4. Walking off the green you look at your watch and it’s now 8:30 on the dot and the fourball behind you are already striding down the fairway and nearly at their tee shots.

You just know it’s going to be one of those days were you can’t even look for a ball or else the four behind you will all be standing with their hands on their hips.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yep. For any group who cannot slow their pace of play sufficiently to avoid standing over shots waiting to play.
Yep if you're chunking your shots into the group in front you face the firing squad.
If you're over 90 minutes for nine holes also the firing squad.
Then no one can complain.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think slow play is caused by having to look for your ball. Sometimes when it really should be plainly where it should be but somehow isn't. Why isn't there a tech thing in every ball that links to an app so you can easily find it, that would help

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think slow play is caused by having to look for your ball. Sometimes when it really should be plainly where it should be but somehow isn't. Why isn't there a tech thing in every ball that links to an app so you can easily find it, that would help
Illegal under the rules of golf.
I suspect as the American market drives golf development not much call for it.
Most balls are lost in water and knowing where it is six foot deep is not much use.

BridgfordBlue

Visit site
I only rejoined as a member of a course a couple of years ago after a thirty year break from being a member. Not sure if it’s the same everywhere but one thing I noticed was when I joined thirty years ago, there was mandatory golf etiquette training covering a lot of different areas that anyone new to golf or membership had to take, which didnt happen at all when I joined back up recently.

I do think that would help as it’s not as binary as slow play = bad for me, it’s the why that’s important and a lot of it I think is because some people have never really been taught it. My cousin, who’s fairly new to golf, was a nightmare for waiting and watching everyone else take their shot before either getting to his ball or taking what seemed like a 5 minute practice routine for example. He’s better now but there’s plenty of people like him that never change as they just don’t know to.

Never had any issue if someone is slow because they walk slowly or have a few bad shots for example. It’s more the etiquette side of it. If people want to play like that, I’m absolutely fine with that too, but just be conscious to wave groups behind through.

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Think tee time spacing helps

Personally I think it works better with 10 minutes between times

Also think clubs need clocks on the tee and you only tee off at peak times when it's your tee time. Rather than oh their out of range now

Once played a course and they wouldn't let you tee off until the group in front was off the 1st green (320 yard par 4) course was Ramo but we all got round without hold ups in 3 hours 30 mins

Spacing is king
Totally agree, one of my pet hates is people teeing off behind you right after your second shot. Sometimes only three minutes after I've teed off and 5 minutes before their time.

D-S

Visit site
The last Pro-am I played was excruciating.
We teed off at 1.15 and finished just after 7
It was the last pro am I ever played
Sounds like they were using the system you propose and as a later starter you must have been considered to be in a slow team - so 5 and 3/4 hours seems to be bang on for a 1.15 tee time.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Why was that Bob? Amateurs too slow, Pros too slow, either not letting faster groups through as their manhood might be questioned, or was the course rammed with too many players - or some other reason?

A combination of bad course design (tees and greens being close together) and slow ams. The ams in my team spent ages on their phones so we lost holes in front. What was surprising was the group behind were nowhere in sight so they must have been 6 hours.

Sounds like they were using the system you propose and as a later starter you must have been considered to be in a slow team - so 5 and 3/4 hours seems to be bang on for a 1.15 tee time.
I think the last team were out about 3 so no, we weren't off late.
I don't think 5 and 3/4 hours is acceptable in any situation and certainly was the main reason I stopped playing pro-ams after that.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would imagine you’d always book infront of known slow players, but in your example only 1 group can do that.

I’m not sure what point you are trying to prove with the question?
The point is, given the choice, I agree with you, I think most players would rather be in front of a slow group than behind them.
I also think the same could be said for slow groups, they'd rather be behind faster players so not pushed all the way round. (see post 109)
So sprinters out first, slower players out towards the end.
If, for any reason, a slow player needs to go out early then fine but they are probably not going to enjoy their game. The same goes for sprinters going out last.

It may take a few comps but I think everyone would work out which group they enjoy the most without being told when they can and can't play.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Perhaps it would help if the top pro tournaments did this.
Quickest players off first.

We could follow their lead, if it becomes popular and successful.