Slow play again

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Perhaps it would help if the top pro tournaments did this.
Quickest players off first.

We could follow their lead, if it becomes popular and successful.
Nah, it will never work, let's just keep doing what we've been doing for decades.
And if Bacticks is right, 5 1/2 to 6 hours will be the norm.
But you can bet your house, I won't be playing.

PaulMdj

Visit site
The point is, given the choice, I agree with you, I think most players would rather be in front of a slow group than behind them.
I also think the same could be said for slow groups, they'd rather be behind faster players so not pushed all the way round. (see post 109)
So sprinters out first, slower players out towards the end.
If, for any reason, a slow player needs to go out early then fine but they are probably not going to enjoy their game. The same goes for sprinters going out last.

It may take a few comps but I think everyone would work out which group they enjoy the most without being told when they can and can't play.
In an ideal world you are spot on, but you’re not giving any leeway to what happens in most Clubs.

ie:
Mates want to play together, they can be more than happy knowing one of them is slow.

People who can only play at certain times due to family/work commitments.

People who will simply play when they want.

Husbands and wives/father and sons wanting to play together.

That’s just a few points, for your system to work everyone would have to agree to available at time stipulated by the Club and, after a few weeks be flexible enough to move (after being told they are faster/slower than they thought)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That’s just a few points, for your system to work everyone would have to agree to available at time stipulated by the Club and, after a few weeks be flexible enough to move (after being told they are faster/slower than they thought)
I'm not going to repeat myself again.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
There are two 'slow play's. Often mixed up, but they are distinct.

1) The total time to play a round. A full course. No gaps. Playing through doesnt come in to question. Yet a fourball takes 5 hours, and some grumble of the halcyon days - no fourball should ever take more than three and a quarter hours.
This is simply the pace of play these days, with the advent of new elements (aimpoint, lasers, practice swings, visualising routines, aligning lines on balls, etc), and courses with sheet spacing that have not changed to this new pace of golf.

2) Groups that play at different paces. So a fast one can be waiting, erupting with frustration, as they wait on the tee looking at the group ahead, and, with their self righteous sense of entitlement, believe all groups should play at their faster pace. They deserve their frustration as a reward for their mistaken superiority complex, and expectation that others should change to their model of play.

PaulMdj

Visit site
There are two 'slow play's. Often mixed up, but they are distinct.

1) The total time to play a round. A full course. No gaps. Playing through doesnt come in to question. Yet a fourball takes 5 hours, and some grumble of the halcyon days - no fourball should ever take more than three and a quarter hours.
This is simply the pace of play these days, with the advent of new elements (aimpoint, lasers, practice swings, visualising routines, aligning lines on balls, etc), and courses with sheet spacing that have not changed to this new pace of golf.

2) Groups that play at different paces. So a fast one can be waiting, erupting with frustration, as they wait on the tee looking at the group ahead, and, with their self righteous sense of entitlement, believe all groups should play at their faster pace. They deserve their frustration as a reward for their mistaken superiority complex, and expectation that others should change to their model of play.
Really? So every course and every person is identical?

Is this based on 4 Scratch Golfers? 4 off handicaps in the 20-30 range? Par 72? Par 69? Good weather? Bad weather?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Five hours is nothing like the pace of play at my course, I would walk off if it was playing that slow.
In all the games I played at different courses last year, some of them on busy courses I can only recall one five hour round and the group two ahead had fallen behind by several holes.

My last round was 2 and a half hours, a reasonable time for a round of golf and one that many members seem to enjoy.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Fine, just keep avoiding the questions from others while repeating yours.
ok
In an ideal world you are spot on, but you’re not giving any leeway to what happens in most Clubs.

ie:
Mates want to play together, they can be more than happy knowing one of them is slow.
The same that happens where players and tee times are drawn for comps. Play with your mates for the rest of the month
People who can only play at certain times due to family/work commitments.
Already answered
People who will simply play when they want.
Already answered
Husbands and wives/father and sons wanting to play together.
Already answered above
For the last time..... the club does not stipulate a time or tell people when they must play.

Now, what questions have I asked repeatedly?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive been on a 5 hour round whilst playing a long (full tee sheet) , busy “championship” course with big walks between tees and greens. Maybe I shouldn’t but I just expect it when visiting these places.

Regular club golf we are all round in 3 hours 45 > 4 hours 15 max.

PaulMdj

Visit site
ok

The same that happens where players and tee times are drawn for comps. Play with your mates for the rest of the month

Already answered

Already answered

Already answered above

For the last time..... the club does not stipulate a time or tell people when they must play.

Now, what questions have I asked repeatedly?
Faster players out first, slow Joes out later.
Never the two shall meet.

The solution is simple.
Don't have slow players going out early.

That's the whole point. No-one is telling anyone that they must play faster.

So lets just do nothing then. Forget a good solution because it would never work despite the fact that it's never been tried.

So everyone behind has to suffer because of one guy?

All it takes is a couple of slow groups out early to ruin the day for everyone else
Your solution only works if it is enforceable, self policing won’t work!

ie. Player A can only play saturday morning, not the fastest player, but not the slowest!
Logs on to the system and their is only 1 slot available at 7:40!
His choice, under your idea, is to either book it and get dragged around by faster players having no fun, or miss Golf that day. Or, somebody from his group moans about Player A being slower than them and they complain.

Putting people into pigeon holes and suggesting when they should play is wrong.