Improvements that are blindingly obvious

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our place has been rammed since lockdown ended. If you are 5 minutes late on BRS, you are lucky to get a tee time.

It struck me the other day that, with the earliest tee time being 8.30, the back 9 doesn't get played on until near enough 10am (we can only book for 18 holes). Meanwhile a large number of members only play 9 holes at this time of year, and there are members getting frustrated because they can't get a tee time.

I suggested to the pro yesterday that there should be a way for folk who only want to play 9 holes to be able to book the back 9 first thing. He agreed and promised to raise it with the committee. To his and the club's credit, within a couple of hours of me suggesting it, there was an email to the members with a process for those wanting to play 9 holes to book the back 9 for the first hour of every day.

I can't believe no-one thought of this years ago. Then again, pre-pandemic, maybe we never had the situation of demand exceeding supply.

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s how we set up our bookings when we moved to tee times back in May

the back 9 is open for 90 mins for people who only want to play 9 holes - you are asked not to book for 9 holes on the front 9 until after 12

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That’s how we set up our bookings when we moved to tee times back in May

the back 9 is open for 90 mins for people who only want to play 9 holes - you are asked not to book for 9 holes on the front 9 until after 12

it's a bit annoying that there are loads of members only playing 9 holes at this time of year - I'd estimate about 40% of bookings - so the back 9 is massively underused compared to the front 9, meanwhile we have folk who can't get a game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our place has been rammed since lockdown ended. If you are 5 minutes late on BRS, you are lucky to get a tee time.

It struck me the other day that, with the earliest tee time being 8.30, the back 9 doesn't get played on until near enough 10am (we can only book for 18 holes). Meanwhile a large number of members only play 9 holes at this time of year, and there are members getting frustrated because they can't get a tee time.

I suggested to the pro yesterday that there should be a way for folk who only want to play 9 holes to be able to book the back 9 first thing. He agreed and promised to raise it with the committee. To his and the club's credit, within a couple of hours of me suggesting it, there was an email to the members with a process for those wanting to play 9 holes to book the back 9 for the first hour of every day.

I can't believe no-one thought of this years ago. Then again, pre-pandemic, maybe we never had the situation of demand exceeding supply.

Since we came out of lockdown 1.0 this has been in place and so if you fancy just nine holes early, you are encouraged to book the back nine which means we can have times from 8.00am until around 9.30-9.45 depending on how quickly the first group play the front nine and more room for those playing a full round

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I am surprised you can book 9 off the first tee while there is the minimum daylight and folk mad keen to play after lock down.

Our club used to have no tee booking, you just put a ball in the chute. Since lockdown, it's been all online booking and been much smoother

D

Deleted member 3432

I am surprised you can book 9 off the first tee while there is the minimum daylight and folk mad keen to play after lock down.

Our club used to have no tee booking, you just put a ball in the chute. Since lockdown, it's been all online booking and been much smoother

Of course there are those who would prefer to arrive and have to wait around for an hour before they can tee off due to everyone wanting to play at the same time....

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Of course there are those who would prefer to arrive and have to wait around for an hour before they can tee off due to everyone wanting to play at the same time....

Exactly... people turned up in the same groups every week and "new members" ended up waiting in the pro shop until one "group" has a spare space or a gap appeared. You never know what time you'd tee off... Now some of the oldies are complaining that the old way was better. :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We have only introduced the booking system since Covid. We cant book a 9 hole game but a phone call to the pro is enough to go off the10th for 9 holes

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
With the present course and weather conditions, 9 hole are sufficient for many players.
The ladies at our place change their comps from 18 holes to 9 throughout winter. I'd be happy if the men did the same. It's plenty when it is cold, course is wet and playing long etc.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We finally dropped 9 hole bookings as they mucked up and could lead to double bookings

So we now only accept 18 however you can just not to the back .. I normally do 11 and sometimes my group carry on the 18 depends on time

No option to just do the back tho

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As soon as we came back from Lockdown 1 we, as everyone else pretty muchni think, had just 9 hole rounds for a week or 2.
Once we went back to 18 we had to use a 1 tee start - we're normally a 2 tee start - to avoid crossing over and bunching.
So we had about 7 or 8 bookings available on the back 9 for those who just wanted to play 9.
I used it quite a lot. The course was pretty rammed as you would expect and there was almost always 2 or 3 spare slots on the back.
Played most days before going back to work..

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a two tee start off the 1st and 10th from 8.00 to 9.50, then course reserved for a couple of hours for the second 9. After 12.10 both tees are available again for as many holes as you can get in. A few people have moaned because they 'always start at 11.00', but by and large it's working OK.

Sooner we get back to no reservations the better, but that's another argument.

D

Deleted member 3432

Problem with 9 holes starting off the 10th is if you are an out and back layout it ain't practical.

Our 10th is as far from the clubhouse as you can get so 1st tee start only.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Problem with 9 holes starting off the 10th is if you are an out and back layout it ain't practical.

Our 10th is as far from the clubhouse as you can get so 1st tee start only.

I wish we offered back 9 starts

We have two 9s both are labelled as 1 -9 north and east course (west being built)

I'd prefer to play east then north as north is harder so an easier start followed by the harder 9 would be cool

However all play is off the 1st north .. the 1st east is next to club house aswell but can't go off it ATM

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On our 9 hole course players can either book 9 holes or 18 holes if say a pair book 18 then the can be joined on the second nine by some else just starting.

FELL75

Visit site
Since we came out of lockdown 1.0 this has been in place and so if you fancy just nine holes early, you are encouraged to book the back nine which means we can have times from 8.00am until around 9.30-9.45 depending on how quickly the first group play the front nine and more room for those playing a full round
Played the back nine this morning ?