Slow play again

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
We'd probably just do it. Finished by 10:30 and my course to Woodhall Spa is 1hr 30mins by car.
I have done 2hrs 25mins as a two ball in matchplay in recent years.
But if we make a special effort we might be quicker.
If we're playing at Woodhall I'll have to charge my car up first, that will take 3 days :whistle:

D-S

Visit site
I agree.
Ok, you say my idea won't work....what's your idea?

Minimum 10 minute tee times.

Repeated education that slower groups must let the group behind play through they have lost more than 12-15 minutes on the group ahead.

Backed by regular, consistent, firm marshalling insisting that groups who have lost ground stand aside to let groups behind through.

If necessary, sanctions for those repeatedly not abiding by the set protocol.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Minimum 10 minute tee times.

Repeated education that slower groups must let the group behind play through they have lost more than 12-15 minutes on the group ahead.

Backed by regular, consistent, firm marshalling insisting that groups who have lost ground stand aside to let groups behind through.

If necessary, sanctions for those repeatedly not abiding by the set protocol.
The problem is these ideas have been tried for years and haven't worked. I did think 'ready golf' might help but sadly, it appears not and rounds just seem to get longer.

D-S

Visit site
The problem is these ideas have been tried for years and haven't worked. I did think 'ready golf' might help but sadly, it appears not and rounds just seem to get longer.
I disagree, where these principles have been consistently applied over time there has been great success. Rounds may have got longer elsewhere but of course almost all clubs don’t do the above correctly.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I disagree, where these principles have been consistently applied over time there has been great success. Rounds may have got longer elsewhere but of course almost all clubs don’t do the above correctly.
So why not try something different that lets slow players play slowly and fast players play quickly?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
How would you define the problem exactly ?
People who want to be able to play their second shot when they reach their tee shot but can't because there is a slower group in front holding them up.
Telling the fast players to slow down or the slow players to speed up is not going to work.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I agree.
What I actually said was your idea is good, but would not work for the reasons I’ve stated, ie, self policing wouldn’t work, people inflexible, very few (if any) recognise themselves as slow players.

Slow play is very dificult to define.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree.
What I actually said was your idea is good, but would not work for the reasons I’ve stated, ie, self policing wouldn’t work, people inflexible, very few (if any) recognise themselves as slow players.

Slow play is very dificult to define.
Ok, so my good idea wont work.
What would you suggest instead?

PaulMdj

Visit site
Ok, so my good idea wont work.
What would you suggest instead?
See post #145 👍🏻

It needs dealing with on the course, not in the bars after.

People who want to be able to play their second shot when they reach their tee shot but can't because there is a slower group in front holding them up.
Telling the fast players to slow down or the slow players to speed up is not going to work.
This doesn’t make sense for most Par 4’s the group in front could be on and around the green, surely you wouldn’t expect them to go any quicker?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What a pointless thread. People who cannot agree, nothing unusual there. 2 sides entrenched with their own idea and are not prepared to change views. I expect the original poster did not expect over 150 replies.

Happy Easter everybody. I have a round booked @1p.m. 4 ball, couple of beers and will be home for the start of the football

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What a pointless thread. People who cannot agree, nothing unusual there. 2 sides entrenched with their own idea and are not prepared to change views. I expect the original poster did not expect over 150 replies.

Happy Easter everybody. I have a round booked @1p.m. 4 ball, couple of beers and will be home for the start of the football

You are right of course
Enjoy your game.
I'm out (temporarily)

Last edited:

PaulMdj

Visit site

Is that for the 3pm kick off, the 5pm or the 8pm match? 🤪

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Getting to the ball when it’s your turn to play? Or just getting to the ball?

Rules of Golf
Rule 5

When it is a player’s turn to play, it is recommended that they make the stroke in no
more than 40 seconds, and usually more quickly than that.

When the rule was introduced we tried timing each on several occasions and all the guys (bar1) were well within the 40 seconds

The bar1 is reckoned to be the slowest player at the club with many a complaint going in to the office from groups behind about his speed of play.
Myself and others within our group have had words with him on many an occasion.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The point is, given the choice, I agree with you, I think most players would rather be in front of a slow group than behind them.
I also think the same could be said for slow groups, they'd rather be behind faster players so not pushed all the way round. (see post 109)
So sprinters out first, slower players out towards the end.
If, for any reason, a slow player needs to go out early then fine but they are probably not going to enjoy their game. The same goes for sprinters going out last.

It may take a few comps but I think everyone would work out which group they enjoy the most without being told when they can and can't play.

Bit in bold
I'm struggling to work out why these slow players wouldn't enjoy their game

Aren't they able to play at exactly the pace they're happy with
What's gonna happen to them in this scenario to make them not enjoy the day