simon dyson

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the Sunningdale Foursomes teenagers Gary Harris and David Howell were in the semi final.
They were one up with two to play.
Gary's ball moved in the heather as he addressed it, no one saw it except him. He called a penalty and they lost the hole but won 18 [I think]
There was quite a lot of stuff in the papers about young golfers doing the right thing etc.
I saw him a couple of days later to say bad luck and well done as they lost in the final.
I mentioned the ball moving incident and Gary shrugged his shoulders and said that he could not understand what all the fuss was about as he only did what all golfers do.

Last edited:

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
He clearly cheated. You can tell by the way he looked shifty afterwards.

He should be banned and he can use the time away to read up on the rules as he should know the tapping down on the line of putt rule!

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk

He should be banned and he can use the time away to read up on the rules as he should know the tapping down on the line of putt rule!

Now why would he want to learn the rule.......if he cheated then he knows the rule. For what its worth, I thought he broke the rules thinking he would get away with it. In 40 years of golf I've never seen anyone do this, not even in a bounce game.

edgey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having reviewed this incident I wish to make clear my disgust at the most flagrant and outrageous rules breach I have ever had the misfortune to witness. I have long believed (as a Daily Mail reader) that incidents of this nature not only bring the game of Golf into disrepute but are stain on the values that made this once great country "Great". I have spent the last two days secretly filming members of my own club and have discovered that Mr Dyson is the tip of a large and quite frankly disgusting iceberg.

I have personally written to the R&A to suggest the current "soft" punishment metered out to the likes of Mr Dyson needs urgent review if we are to see a return to traditional values. I have proposed that we replace the exisiting "soft" consequence with National Service. In addition to National Service I feel confident that if corporal punishment were to replace DQ as the ultimate consequence we would have far fewer of these incidents.

I realise that my views may seem extreme in the context of modern "youf" society but I would call on the golfing community to contact the R&A to support me.

Thankyou

Last edited:

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Having reviewed this incident I wish to make clear my disgust at the most flagrant and outrageous rules breach I have ever had the misfortune to witness. I have long believed (as a Daily Mail reader) that incidents of this nature not only bring the game of Golf into disrepute but are stain on the values that made this once great country "Great". I have spent the last two days secretly filming members of my own club and have discovered that Mr Dyson is the tip of a large and quite frankly disgusting iceberg.

I have personally written to the R&A to suggest the current "soft" punishment metered out to the likes of Mr Dyson needs urgent review if we are to see a return to traditional values. I have proposed that we replace the exisiting "soft" consequence with National Service. In addition to National Service I feel confident that if corporal punishment were to replace DQ as the ultimate consequence we would have far fewer of these incidents.

I realise that my views may seem extreme in the context of modern "youf" society but I would call on the golfing community to contact the R&A to support me.

Thankyou

Post of the year..........................1927. Oh that was the last time a pro player used his ball to tap something down on his line. The guy was given the death penalty but someone noticed the R n A was run by old WW1 officers and they had to go by their own rules.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As an old Pro from a fairly ancient golfing family [1845] I find some of the comments on this thread quite strange.
Golf has, and hopefully always will be, a game of honesty.

edgey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Post of the year..........................1927. Oh that was the last time a pro player used his ball to tap something down on his line. The guy was given the death penalty but someone noticed the R n A was run by old WW1 officers and they had to go by their own rules.

I am pleased that you have raised this as I suspect it is the "Elephant in the Corner" that most members of golf clubs want to discuss but feel unable to due to the ridiulous PC world we live in.

I would not be averse to the implementation of capital punishment for serious rules infractions like Mr Dysons (and members at my own club). Now that this is out in the open may I count on your support in this matter?

Naybrains

Tour Rookie
Visit site

This was my first thought when watching the footage, he weirdly backs off straight away a la Twig-gate with TW.
Agree ^^ Big fan of Simon Dyson, but seriously to tap a rather large spike mark down and make on you didn't mean it doesn't cut with me - he knew exactly what he was doing.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am pleased that you have raised this as I suspect it is the "Elephant in the Corner" that most members of golf clubs want to discuss but feel unable to due to the ridiulous PC world we live in.

I would not be averse to the implementation of capital punishment for serious rules infractions like Mr Dysons (and members at my own club). Now that this is out in the open may I count on your support to have myself committed

:D:D quiet possibly id say :D

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Looks like Mr Dyson has withdrawn from the 7 Million Euro Turkish Airlines Open next week.

Im surprised this is dragging on for so long, its a simple thing and should have been sorted out last week

norbs

Hacker
Visit site
The punishment handed out is more than fair. He shouldn't have done it, he knew what he was doing.

The rule however does need changing. Every player should have the opportunity to play greens in the best condition possible, there is a benefit to players going out early in a round where the greens are concerned. It is nigh on impossible for a player to flatten every spike mark he has left (and most won't bother anyway), so why not allow the flattening of spike marks? It doesn't give an advantage, just keeps the playing field (and greens) level.

Doesn't make a difference to SD, the rule is in place so has to be abided, but it's a pretty stupid one IMHO.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What if he had repaired the spike marks before he played his first putt? Also what about pitch marks on the line ?