Silly things that have blown your mind

NearHull

Visit site
Some years ago my BiL, a face working miner, took me down Thoresby Pit on a special close relations/friends visit. After walking down the gate to the face - a walk of a couple of miles - we traversed the pit props to the middle of the face. The five or six of us then crouched down peering into each others faces with the head lamps. He then said, turn off your lamps, then uttered the immortal words ‘It’s f******* dark isn’t it’. That nearly blew my mind! Then he really did blew it, when he said ‘there’s a mile of rock just above your head’!’

RichA

Visit site
Some years ago my BiL, a face working miner, took me down Thoresby Pit on a special close relations/friends visit. After walking down the gate to the face - a walk of a couple of miles - we traversed the pit props to the middle of the face. The five or six of us then crouched down peering into each others faces with the head lamps. He then said, turn off your lamps, then uttered the immortal words ‘It’s f******* dark isn’t it’. That nearly blew my mind! Then he really did blew it, when he said ‘there’s a mile of rock just above your head’!’
I had a similar experience during my first and only go at pot-holing.
An hour in, the guide said, "We're now directly under the middle of the lake."
I was slightly freaked out. It was in the Lake District, so I probably shouldn't have been too surprised.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
They were also all released before I was born. Which is a weird concept given how familiar I am with them and have enjoyed listening to them.

Everything ages so quick now. I'm constantly staggered when I hear that a particular album that I loved is 10, 15 or 20 years old - same with films. Something like Inception that you might think of as a modern classic - already 12 years old. What?? In the film thread someone mentioned Silver Linings Playbook, which I thought of as a recent film that I've been meaning to watch since it came out. That's 10 bloody years old as well. So it's been on my list of things to watch for TEN years?? How is this possible?

The 80's were my era. Had money in my pocket, was off watching Fulham home and away, going to gigs and out in pubs. Sometimes when we watch old Top of The Pops on BBC4 HID hadn't even heard of half the bands. That said when the 90's music comes on she knows most of it and I haven't a clue.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If you had two identical lists of numbers starting at 1 and going to infinity. You could remove the odd or even numbers from one of the lists and both lists would still be the same length.

phillarrow

Visit site
Haha gotcha! No, genuinely, I had a Yeti and Superb and it worked on both. The Superb was a relatively recent model as well. Neither were keyless entry so that may be part of it?

I wonder if you need to tick something in the system to engage it? I did not but maybe that has changed now? Worth 5 minutes on the internet to find out, it is really handy in the summer.

It worked! There was a setting that just needed me to check the box. Great tip, I can see this being really useful in the summer. ?
I wonder what else my car does that I've got no idea about?! ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It blows my mind, but both because the numbers are silly big and silly small - and it is just amazing and incredible.

For nuclear fusion the scientists have to create and manage an environment that can stand a temperature of 100 million degrees celsius - and then they have to create a temperature of 100 million degrees celsius.

And they've done it...for a monster (in nucleur fusion terms) 5 seconds - wow...just wow...

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the 1970s, as someone new to Potholing, I can still remember what went through my head as I entered the 3-Counties, Easdale System, high in the Yorkshire Dales knowing that it consisted of some 30 miles of underground passages but we were hoping to use just some 1.5 miles of it before finding one of the other exits. To this day I'd still rank Potholking as one of the most adventurous, sporting & challenging of the various Outdoor Activities.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the 1970s, as someone new to Potholing, I can still remember what went through my head as I entered the 3-Counties, Easdale System, high in the Yorkshire Dales knowing that it consisted of some 30 miles of underground passages but we were hoping to use just some 1.5 miles of it before finding one of the other exits. To this day I'd still rank Potholking as one of the most adventurous, sporting & challenging of the various Outdoor Activities.
Winter Climbing used to be my passion. Us mountaineers used to regard the potholers as nutters. We might have spent our days getting cold, wet, miserable and scared, but at least we did it in daylight.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
National borders. Me and Mrs T drove up to the Spanish / French border in the Pyrenees a few years back and it still amazes me that there's just an arbitrary line in the road (not literally in this case) where everything changes. Laws change, language changes, the currency would change in the days before the Euro. My sister in law comes from Switzerland and when they fly back to visit her folks the airport at Basel has three exits, one to France, one to Germany and one to Switzerland. It just blows my mind!

I know that there are borders to Wales and Scotland but its not quite the same for me.