Silly things that have blown your mind

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't have it anymore and don't remember seeing it. I had it for 4 years, can't believe I missed that. Perhaps I didn't have it?

Looking on Google https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/441120-heater-settings-what-is-the-rest-button/

Seems pretty pointless to me ?‍♂️
Just one of those little extras. When you stop engine and park up and stay in the car the rest button provides residual heat from the engine. I suppose to save energy rather than leaving the engine running and reducing emissions.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When we were in New Zealand we went to a place called Portobello - just outside Dunedin. Somehow I had previously discovered that Portobello was the antipode of where I live - at least it was the nearest town on land. So when me and my Mrs sat down on the bench overlooking the bay eating the bag of chips we'd bought from the Portobello chippie we realised that we were truly sitting pretty much exactly the opposite side of the world from home. And that made us think.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To make me feel really old. All of these songs were released closer to WW2 than to today
* Every Breath You Take - Police
* Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
* Sweet Dreams - The Eurythmics
* Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners.
Dear lord, those songs are all from the era of my first school disco's :eek:. Dexy's was an absolute floor filler, along with Town Called Malice. That is crushing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To make me feel really old. All of these songs were released closer to WW2 than to today
* Every Breath You Take - Police
* Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
* Sweet Dreams - The Eurythmics
* Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners.
They were also all released before I was born. Which is a weird concept given how familiar I am with them and have enjoyed listening to them.

Everything ages so quick now. I'm constantly staggered when I hear that a particular album that I loved is 10, 15 or 20 years old - same with films. Something like Inception that you might think of as a modern classic - already 12 years old. What?? In the film thread someone mentioned Silver Linings Playbook, which I thought of as a recent film that I've been meaning to watch since it came out. That's 10 bloody years old as well. So it's been on my list of things to watch for TEN years?? How is this possible?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
16 years ago I started teaching a young, early 20's, Mum how to drive....
Last week I started teaching her daughter........:oops:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
When we were in New Zealand we went to a place called Portobello - just outside Dunedin. Somehow I discovered that Portobello was the antipode of where I live - at least it was the nearest town on land. So when me and my Mrs sat down on the bench overlooking the bay eating the bag of chips we'd bought from the Portobello chippie we realised that we were truly sitting pretty much exactly the opposite side of the world from home. And that made us think.
And I trust you realise what 'Dunedin' is slang for - and how close the original Portobello is to that town too! Architecture reflects the naming history too - as did Christchurch's, at least before the earthquakes.
Plenty of Golfing reference/associations too. New Zealand Golf course was named so because of the association of the family that owned the area, who also owned Brooklands, had founded New Plymouth after setting sail from Plymouth and lived in a house called Brooklands, since burnt down, in an area now called Brooklands Park.
There are other European links around the country too. Dannevirke was settled by Nordic folk and still retains much/some of that culture.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And I trust you realise what 'Dunedin' is slang for - and how close the original Portobello is to that town too! Architecture reflects the naming history too - as did Christchurch's, at least before the earthquakes.
Plenty of Golfing reference/associations too. New Zealand Golf course was named so because of the association of the family that owned the area, who also owned Brooklands, had founded New Plymouth after setting sail from Plymouth and lived in a house called Brooklands, since burnt down, in an area now called Brooklands Park.
There are other European links around the country too. Dannevirke was settled by Nordic folk and still retains much/some of that culture.
Don't know what it is slang for but of course know the Embra connection. Other little thing that made us smile as we drove the Dunedin-Portobello road was passing Seaton Bay just as we came into Portobello - Seaton being my maternal family name. And while in Dunedin I played Otago GC Balmacewen - a smashing course and I could have been in Perthshire (where my maternal family were and still are from) - and that in itself was rather mindblowing as we were on the opposite side of the world :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Don't know what it is slang for but of course know the Embra connection. Other little thing that made us smile as we drove the Dunedin-Portobello road was passing Seaton Bay just as we came into Portobello - Seaton being my maternal family name. And while in Dunedin I played Otago GC Balmacewen - a smashing course and I could have been in Perthshire (where my maternal family were and still are from) - and that in itself was rather mindblowing as we were on the opposite side of the world :)
While I only played one and a half rounds of golf before I left NZ for UK, I recognise the Balmacewen name as one of the top courses in NZ, often holding NZ Opens, so well spotted/played. Unfortunately, one of the less popular imports by Scots (and others) was Gorse, which, while useful for hedge planting, has become a major weed!