Should you replace divots in the rough?

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why will a divot dry out in the few seconds between making it and replacing it? Main thing is to tamp it down hard so that it reunites with the soil underneath. :)

Have you ever played in somewhere like Florida? If you had you would realise that on some courses the divot totally disintegrates and you are told before you go out that you should only put the sand and seed mix into the damaged area. It all depends on the type of grass on the course.

It can take a bit of time to get used to the idea of not replacing divots over there but your playing partners will constantly remind you.

Betty

Visit site
I too was told this as a beginner but pretty much ignored it from the off for the first cut and sometimes the second. For any other rough it would be too much of a hold up.

Tee boxes I was always told should be filled not replaced, no idea the reason but I guess it is how closely they are mowed?

RichA

Visit site
My first few rounds at my club were with the secretary who was also no.2 greenkeeper. He told me never to replace divots in the rough. I didn't ask for an explanation.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Back on topic...Last time I was 'back home in NZ', standard procedure was to collect a bucket or 2 or sand/seed mix to hang on the 'trundler' to fill fairway divots that, like the earlier post re Florida, simply disintegrate on sand based courses. Same also applied to courses with heavier soil. Semi and deep rough divots were generally ignored except at the very edge