Should you replace divots in the rough?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
who are these nameless poor souls that told everyone not to replace big hiking divots in the rough! you really wonder how these myths start

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I was told early on not to replace divots in the rough and haven't replaced one in 30 years, I can't honestly say I have ever seen anyone else replace one either.

Caddies don't on TV just fairways

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I was told early on not to replace divots in the rough and haven't replaced one in 30 years, I can't honestly say I have ever seen anyone else replace one either.

Caddies don't on TV just fairways

did you question or were given an explanation why not?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
did you question or were given an explanation why not?

I wa told it was to do with the possibility of someones ball coming to rest on a replaced divot and the increased chance (as its rough) of them not realising and been able to allow for it. E.g ground club and cause ball to move.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I wa told it was to do with the possibility of someones ball coming to rest on a replaced divot and the increased chance (as its rough) of them not realising and been able to allow for it. E.g ground club and cause ball to move.

This is what I thought more or less also I guess they would nt sit down properly in longer grass plus it is harder to take an actual divot in the rough you mostly tend to just pull pieces of grass up don't you.

I will purposely miss a fairway ;) and try it over the weekend

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

I dont ground the club in the rough cause it's....erm...rough

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only place I wouldn't replace a divot is on the teeing area - fill the hole with sand/seed or whatever the greenkeeper provides.

What do you do when no sand/seed is available? Personally I always try to replace my divots on the tee but most don't at ours and there is nothing to repair the damage with. My driver is the biggest culprit :)

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
2 main reasons why divots shouldn't be Replaced on the tee.....

First has already been mentioned which is you might slip on it while taking your shot.

Secondly, some people place their ball directly on the ground and not on a tee. If it's placed on a repaired divot and they don't notice, then it could cause a mishit.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Not in the rough, not on the tee & not on the fairway

Sand/seed mix if I've left bare earth
You can make a pretty good repair by replacing a divot. The main thing is to tamp it down hard so that birds can't turn it over. Playing from a sanded divot hole can be a bit like playing from a bunker! :(

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You can make a pretty good repair by replacing a divot. The main thing is to tamp it down hard so that birds can't turn it over. Playing from a sanded divot hole can be a bit like playing from a bunker! :(

Not if your divot's in a dozen bits you cant. The grass and soil tends to be somewhat different to the UK & even if you're lucky enough to get a single piece one then it'll dry out before it gets a chance to mesh in, so sand/seed really is the best way to go

hope I never play behind you:angry:

Agreed

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Not if your divot's in a dozen bits you cant. The grass and soil tends to be somewhat different to the UK & even if you're lucky enough to get a single piece one then it'll dry out before it gets a chance to mesh in, so sand/seed really is the best way to go
Why will a divot dry out in the few seconds between making it and replacing it? Main thing is to tamp it down hard so that it reunites with the soil underneath. :)

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tamping it down will not stop a bird from flipping it over !

We don't have soil/sand mix on our tees anymore. It was decided that too many people didn't repair their divots on the tees and hence the green keepers had to make repairs on the tees anyway. so now the only people that do tee repairs are the greenkeepers. Takes little more time as they had to visit every tee anyway.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Why will a divot dry out in the few seconds between making it and replacing it? )

It won't.
But in parts of the world....like Mauritius for example.........a divot will dry out before it has time to reroot itself.....
Many parts of Asia have this rule - don't replace divots, use sand and seed mix.