Should you replace divots in the rough?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I normally do replace my divots (if I can find them), whether on the fairway or in the rough. Some people seem to think that you shouldn't replace divots in the rough. Any views on this? :mmm:

G

guest100718

I normally do replace my divots (if I can find them), whether on the fairway or in the rough. Some people seem to think that you shouldn't replace divots in the rough. Any views on this? :mmm:

Of course, why wouldnt you.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good question - I was once told not to but have pretty much ignored the advice. Is this right? Cannot stop myself putting back the odd doormat I've just gouged out. Just seems wrong not to.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not sure why but I have also been told in the past not to replace divots in the rough (thicker stuff, not first or second cut). Really should have asked why at the time.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I too was told this as a beginner but pretty much ignored it from the off for the first cut and sometimes the second. For any other rough it would be too much of a hold up.

Tee boxes I was always told should be filled not replaced, no idea the reason but I guess it is how closely they are mowed?

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
I too was told this as a beginner but pretty much ignored it from the off for the first cut and sometimes the second. For any other rough it would be too much of a hold up.

Tee boxes I was always told should be filled not replaced, no idea the reason but I guess it is how closely they are mowed?

A replaced divot will possibly move if stood on whilst taking your drive - that's the reason I was given for not replacing divots on the tee.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A replaced divot will possibly move if stood on whilst taking your drive - that's the reason I was given for not replacing divots on the tee.

Agreed. And there's considerably more likelihood of standing on one - at least on Par 3s. Make sure they are filled, where sand/mix is available, though! :whistle:

Divots in rough should be replaced where practical though!

Myths abound! :rolleyes:

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
Most courses I've played don't have sand to fill divots on tee boxes.

But to answer the question, yes I replace divots in the rough

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This is wat I was told, never replace on tee box due to the risk of slipping while taking a shot

Every where else I replace the divot

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes replace divots or fill in divots with sand and seed

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Maybe a slight tangent but....

Has anyone ever found themselves in an unrepaired divot in the rough?

OP: I replace my divots regardless of location (Except tee box which is sand and seed)

G

guest100718

OP: I replace my divots regardless of location (Except tee box which is sand and seed)

Its rare to be in a divot anywhere really. I never understand the call from people wanting free relief from a divot such is the rarity of being in one.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

A few years ago during the winter we tried getting everyone to drop off the fairway 2 club length into the rough . When the new season started, if you were off the fairway most likely in a old divot. Never happened to me I'm always on the fairway :rofl: