Realistically - how many yards gain updating by 10 years??

The Fader

Visit site
Getting tempted to replace my 2014 Bridgestone Driver.

Don't think I can stomach £500+ for the absolute latest and greatest so looking at the original Ping G430 or maybe a Callaway Paradym.

As per the title - what distance gains (if any) can I realistically expect all other things being equal?

Also - any other clubs I should be considering? The Cobra Darkspeed just about falls into my budget.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In December I replaced my 910 D3 with a TSr3. Probably got about 5 yards extra if I’m lucky. What is better is the off centre hits with the TSr. They go farther than misses with the 910.

Maybe when the ground firms up I can gauge the total distance gains a little better as at the moment the ball just lands with a splat and goes nowhere.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Don't think I can stomach £500+ for the absolute latest and greatest so looking at the original Ping G430 or maybe a Callaway Paradym.

As per the title - what distance gains (if any) can I realistically expect all other things being equal?

Also - any other clubs I should be considering? The Cobra Darkspeed just about falls into my budget.
Should think it will depend how well your current driver suits you. If the loft , head shape and shaft suit your swing well you could go backwards, if they don't you could gain a bit.
Personally I'd try before I buy.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Were you fit for the Bridgestone?
If you were then, as above 5-10 yards carry but much better distances from off centre hits..
If you weren't then.............anything is possible....
Give some a hit..but takes yours along to compare....

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Be interested to see how this goes. I am booked in for a fitting next week as I am still using a version 1 Callaway Rogue.

Am only testing others to gauge if the distance could be improved upon. I am actually quite happy with dispersion with the Rogue, having tweaked the set up and changed shafts since I bought it (gone from stiff to regular a couple years ago).

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I got a 2023 PXG driver before Xmas for £200 after a heads up on here absolute bargin. Replaced my 5 year old Ping driver but can’t really tell how much farther the PXG driver is until the weather improves.

There’s plenty of bargins to be had, look at county golf they have Cleveland drivers for under £300, just one example there’s others out there.

Some good bargains to be had with most 2023 models.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a really hard question to answer, it depends a lot on how suited your current driver is to you. If this was a driver you just grabbed off the rack and been using it, maybe with a good fitting you could see up to 20-30 yards of gain. Comparing 10 year old drivers to modern ones you can actually loose distance. I have still got my SLDR TP430 and it will outdrive both my current driver, TSr3 and previous driver 2017 M1. But as others have said it is the off center hits where the modern driver gives you the greatest gains. The SLDR is a beast, but very unforgiving.

Look at it this way, how many recreational golfers find the middle of the driver regularly. So, you will most definitely see distance gains from getting a modern driver.

Recommendations from me would be either the Taylormade STEALTH or Titleist TSi range. Both very good drivers and more or less as good as the newer versions.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Replace my 910 D2 (that I wast fitted for) with a Ping G430 (was fitted for) last year. Lost a bit of distance but the accuracy is a million miles better. Handicap dropped 5 shots almost overnight.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I got a 2023 PXG driver before Xmas for £200 after a heads up on here absolute bargin. Replaced my 5 year old Ping driver but can’t really tell how much farther the PXG driver is until the weather improves.

There’s plenty of bargins to be had, look at county golf they have Cleveland drivers for under £300, just one example there’s others out there.

Some good bargains to be had with most 2023 models.
Yea that's the dilemma for me.....don't want to pay £500 for a new driver really, but that might be a better option than paying £200 for a good 2nd hand one that I would have to buy without trying first.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Yea that's the dilemma for me.....don't want to pay £500 for a new driver really, but that might be a better option than paying £200 for a good 2nd hand one that I would have to buy without trying first.
Go for a fitting and make a note of your retirements. Then buy second hand.

sunshine

Visit site
Replace my 910 D2 (that I wast fitted for) with a Ping G430 (was fitted for) last year. Lost a bit of distance but the accuracy is a million miles better. Handicap dropped 5 shots almost overnight.

Please tell us more. A driver that saves you 5 shots a round is worth it’s weight in gold.

(although a gold driver would be difficult to swing).

sunshine

Visit site
For me I have the same story as others. I replaced a Titleist 910 after 10 years with a TM Sim Max in 2021. No distance gains but more forgiving on off centre hits (quite a lot of those). Was fitted for both.

If you have had the same driver for 10 years then you must like it and must have been generally happy with its performance, which means you are unlikely to see any significant gains.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
my driver is 6 years old and while i like it i am considering getting a different one but £500 is off putting.

that said i am going to try the new PXG range next sunday

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hard one to gauge for me as in the last 10 years I have probably lost more than 20 yards due to my age.

All I can say is that I have had 3 changes in the 10 years each time I definitely gained over the last one at the same time period

TM R9 - TM M4 - TM Stealth, same shaft in the M4 and Stealth and similar in the R9 (Fujikura Motore)

I have tried some drivers in that time that cost me yards e.g the PXG that they allowed on a try and return basis but I put that one down mainly to the shaft.

Springveldt

Visit site

Just bought a Callaway Epic Speed from the preowned site yesterday for £107 delivered. Condition is "very good" which means it will look spotless when it arrives.

Some absolute bargains in there and the condition of the has always been great for me. Can't recommend the site highly enough.