Should courses ban adizero

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is quite interesting as to when golf clothes breach the rules of golf clubs. I remember that my old club was quite firm in its ban on those collarless golf shirts worn by Tiger Woods. The rule was that a collared shirt must be worn on the course and so it was made clear that collarless golf shirts were not acceptable even if they were classed as golf clothing.

I actually like alot of these trainer like shoes and the only thing stopping me buying a pair is that we hardly have the weather to wear them. I can see them upsetting a few of the more traditional members but as long as they are golf shoes and do not damage the greens etc then I am more than happy for them to be on the course and even on my feet.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
I had a look at one earlier today in an American Golf. I don't mind them although would prefer not yellow and they felt way too light. The one I can't stand the look of is the Footjoy M thing. Now that is one vile looking piece of kit. Bit like an R1 (hehehe!)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think trainer-style golf shoes look a bit stylistically incongruous when worn with 'golfing' trousers - but only in the same way as ordinary (i.e. not sports socks) dark short socks worn with 'golfing' shorts.

I think the ban on trainers was simply that trainers said about the wearer 'I can't be bothered getting a pair of golf shoes' (back in the days - and even today - you could get a cheap pair of rubber shoes for diddly squat - so cost was never a factor). So the 'no trainer rule' was simlpy a rule aimed at identifying those who bought into golf, it's etiquette and traditions (would invest a few quid in a pair of golf shoes) and 'keeping out' those who didn't.

So with todays trainer-style golf shoes I have no problems with them being worn on the course - though as of today I wouldn't myself (might change my mind tomorrow).

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We donated £2.2 million to your coffers for him! Mind you, you did buy him from Wolves for £5.5...........

According to Wiki he was your replacemenet for Heskey, who you sold to Liverpool to £10 million. Its a strange old world!

Apologies to the OP - we are way off thread now.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
We donated £2.2 million to your coffers for him! Mind you, you did buy him from Wolves for £5.5...........

According to Wiki he was your replacemenet for Heskey, who you sold to Liverpool to £10 million. Its a strange old world!

Apologies to the OP - we are way off thread now.

At least it was pretty much a like for like replacement for Heskey :)

Sorry to the OP for the little detour that this has taken.

sunshine

Visit site
Golf attire is and should be a stout pair of brogues with good metal spikes teamed with a nice creased pair of solid tweed trousers a polo shirt if you must with a stiff collar and finished with a nice multi coloured lambswool sweater. When having a pint of ale in the clubhouse then blazer, chinos and a crisp shirt teamed with club tie or cravat should be worn. The only thing one should hear is the sound of a nice grandfather clock or indeed the chinking of a cold glass when golfers wish each other cheers after recalling tales of the course.All this tracksuit and training shoe stuff belongs in the caddies hut around the back of the course at the side of the tradesman's entrance.

Thought I would resurrect an old thread to see how opinions on golf attire have moved forward in 7 years.

Fortunately, quite a lot.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
This thread was about a particular shoe that caused craters on the greens.

They were quickly binned, really don’t see the point in resurrecting an old thread for this as the title bears no resemblance to the subject you want to discuss

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me golf footwear just needs to provide suitable traction and stability to play the game safety, doesn’t matter what it looks like.

I feel a lot of the shoes don’t offer enough for me so prefer cleats, cleats on a trainer would be fine with me.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

They were quickly binned, really don’t see the point in resurrecting an old thread for this as the title bears no resemblance to the subject you want to discuss
You have the power to lock it - and transfer relevant posts to a new one! JDI!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

That isn't the reason he gave in the first post though. He said they should be banned simply because they looked like trainers. :LOL:

I remember the first golf shoes I had when I was 14, they looked like brogues to be worn to the office, with metal spikes glued on, they were rigid and horribly uncomfortable and sliced my ankles up good and proper. It was only a few years later they started making golf shoes more like trainers (let's say 2002-03 ish?) and they were a god-send. Golf is a sport, no reason why there shouldn't be comfortable, supportive and sporty footwear for it. I think they should be more lenient on sports t-shirts and shorts as well but that's another story.

sunshine

Visit site

No it's not. What a poor post from somebody who should know better.

Read the thread instead of jumping to conclusions.