Should 3/4 difference exist?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting, guess its down to how the club allocate them then.

Thinking about it my place the SI aren't really reflective of difficulty so maybe more of the intended matchplay allocation.....

They shouldn't be reflective of difficulty, unfortunately that does seem to be the case at most courses. There should be separate SIs for matchplay and strokeplay really.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I had a singles matchplay once against against 9hc and it was full difference So I gave him 6 shots. It was a relatively close game but he beat me 2up, but on the SI 1 hole 13th 435yds he is in the trees, I'm on the fairway, he chips out, then he's 25ft away in 3, I'm 3ft away in 2. He knocks his in for par nett birdie, and I had to hole mine for half. So what's this leading to, I looked at the card after our match and decided to go thru the scores for both players and give each player their full amount of shots on the SI's, he gets 1-9, I get 1-3. So as you can see I would of won the SI 1 13th instead of a half, but conversely I noticed that he boogied the SI 9 and I parred it, so he would of had a half instead of losing the hole. The interesting thing was that going thru with the full amount of shots for both, we would of been heading down the 19th for sudden death, instead of sitting in the 19th having a beer?

he should have received a 2 stroke penalty for intimidation :rolleyes:

I always used to think "hang on, I get a stroke usually at the SI 1 hole due to my handicap, now because I'm playing against someone I dont get it but he does"....the holes the same so how come?

all about trying to make it as close to a level playing field as they can.

I'm also happier he gets it at the hardest holes where theoretically I should prevail but a smart matchplayer will just knock one on the short stuff, dunt it on for 3 and maybe hole the putt, worst case they get a 5 nett 4 so I need to birdie the SI 1 hole to win it....

all about strategy thats why I like/loathe matchplay :whoo:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Okay full handicap difference it is, then shake their hand on the first tee. Say "my you have a strong grip" or "that's a bit of a limp handshake for a man" . Then just watch them unfold, don't even talk to them only offer to look for the ball if its in a hideous position. Don't obviously watch where their ball goes, and when they say did you see it say no sorry. Never give any thing that is more than 2" away from the hole. If they are in the bunker, walk past look and shake your head....Or just be so jolly talk to them about everything and anything, tell a few jokes (usually disgusting ones), talk about pooh ...
Walk off 4 and 3 .. Either way its do a head job on them and help them loosen the wheels so they come off...
And that is matchplay. Horrid I know and frankly just a few holes to wind someone up.

That's a really crappy attitude.

Not only are you happy to win by the other person playing bad, but you're more than willing to try to make them play bad by your actions?

Either I'm lucky to have never played someone like this, or I'm too stupid to notice. I think it would help me though. I find it hard to try to win by as much as possible but this would give me all the motivation I needed.

AlbertsTache

Club Champion
Visit site
Okay full handicap difference it is, then shake their hand on the first tee. Say "my you have a strong grip" or "that's a bit of a limp handshake for a man" . Then just watch them unfold, don't even talk to them only offer to look for the ball if its in a hideous position. Don't obviously watch where their ball goes, and when they say did you see it say no sorry. Never give any thing that is more than 2" away from the hole. If they are in the bunker, walk past look and shake your head....Or just be so jolly talk to them about everything and anything, tell a few jokes (usually disgusting ones), talk about pooh ...
Walk off 4 and 3 .. Either way its do a head job on them and help them loosen the wheels so they come off...
And that is matchplay. Horrid I know and frankly just a few holes to wind someone up.

I've played a few people trying this sort of thing before in scratch league games.................... Won everytime, it just makes me concentrate and want to absolutely destroy them!