Should 3/4 difference exist?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd like to see the maximum HC be reduced to 18 for matchplay, one shot a hole is enough IMO

I'd also like to change where the strokes are given

for instance a 6 hc plays against an 18 hc - 12 strokes to be given

I'd like them to be given on stroke index 7-18 because the 6 HC should be making par on these and the 18 would normally get a shot on these holes - so making it a fairer playing field

they'd normally both get shots in strokeplay on stroke index 1-6, so the fact that neither would it would still be a level playing field

although I suspect mentally the 6hc would cope better with SI 1-6 than the 18hc

this works for all HC's as long as the maximum was 18

I know this may seem unfair or a bit harsh on 28 HC, but it would be no different than a 10 hc entering a scratch event, if you want to play in it then you can.

This has been talked about on here before and I think Jezz also suggested it in the mag. I happen to agree, why should you have to give a shot on a hole you would normally get a shot?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
This has been talked about on here before and I think Jezz also suggested it in the mag. I happen to agree, why should you have to give a shot on a hole you would normally get a shot?

I may be wrong, but is the main purpose of SI for matchplay? To make sure there's an even spread across the 9's, generally hole 18 will be a high SI so its rare shots will be given etc?

I may be wrong. Not sure what difference it makes though?

I enjoy matchplay, don't care about handicap difference or giving/receiving of shots, I can cock up an "easy" (in SI terms) hole just as impressively as a higher handicapper!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I may be wrong, but is the main purpose of SI for matchplay? To make sure there's an even spread across the 9's, generally hole 18 will be a high SI so its rare shots will be given etc?

I may be wrong. Not sure what difference it makes though?

I enjoy matchplay, don't care about handicap difference or giving/receiving of shots, I can cock up an "easy" (in SI terms) hole just as impressively as a higher handicapper!

They're supposed to be spread evenly, SI 1-4 shouldn't be the 1st or last of a 9 etc etc..

Trouble is many clubs allocate SI through difficulty. So SI 1 is the most difficult hole and if you're giving just 1 shot it means you're giving it on the hardest hole, one that you need a shot on as well....
Many times I've lost matches on a low SI hole which is a difficult one. Giving a shot on a 440 yard par 4 to a guy who has a handicap 2 above yours - so fairly even - and you're almost marking the card before you tee off....you almost have to par to have a chance of halving...
Giving shots on the easier holes - ie the ones I'm more likely to par vs a 20 handicapper likely to bogey - seems fairer. OK it means if he pars it I've got to birdie it but at least it's achieveable - I think I've birdied that 440 yarder twice in 5 years...

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
They're supposed to be spread evenly, SI 1-4 shouldn't be the 1st or last of a 9 etc etc..

Trouble is many clubs allocate SI through difficulty. So SI 1 is the most difficult hole and if you're giving just 1 shot it means you're giving it on the hardest hole, one that you need a shot on as well....
Many times I've lost matches on a low SI hole which is a difficult one. Giving a shot on a 440 yard par 4 to a guy who has a handicap 2 above yours - so fairly even - and you're almost marking the card before you tee off....you almost have to par to have a chance of halving...
Giving shots on the easier holes - ie the ones I'm more likely to par vs a 20 handicapper likely to bogey - seems fairer. OK it means if he pars it I've got to birdie it but at least it's achieveable - I think I've birdied that 440 yarder twice in 5 years...

Interesting, guess its down to how the club allocate them then.

Thinking about it my place the SI aren't really reflective of difficulty so maybe more of the intended matchplay allocation.....

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site

I tend to look at it the opposite way.
If I have to give a shot to someone, I would rather do it on a hole they are more likely to bugger up. Much rather given it on 1 than 18 where they will feasibly be able to birdie it and I need to eagle it for a half

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I know what you mean. playing matchplay against a mate back home. he more or less has the 18th hole tied up. extra shot down the last and hits the ball about 30 yards past me off the tee. its s.i. 3 !!

he knew it as well ! luckily his handicap has come down to a decent level this year.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I tend to look at it the opposite way.
If I have to give a shot to someone, I would rather do it on a hole they are more likely to bugger up. Much rather given it on 1 than 18 where they will feasibly be able to birdie it and I need to eagle it for a half

Yep, I see your thinking.
My thinking goes back to a doubles I played 2-3 years ago.
This 440 yarder is SI 2, I was playing with CVG (13) against a 12 and a 9. I was off 8 I think..
CVG and the 9 from the Oppo both drove into trouble, I hit one down the middle as did the 12.
We both played great 2nds to be just off the front of the green.
We both chipped and putted for pars.
He had a shot and won the hole - we lost 3&2. I needed to birdie it, like I said I think I've done it twice in 5 years so that wasn't going to happen easily..

Another reason I hate Matchplay....

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's harder on a mid HC playing a high man, off 15 this year I played a 22 handicapper twice (2 different guys) giving 7 shots, that was hard going, I did win though, twice :rofl:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's harder on a mid HC playing a high man, off 15 this year I played a 22 handicapper twice (2 different guys) giving 7 shots, that was hard going, I did win though, twice :rofl:
Same here I had a 22 h/capper try to mug me this week, can you imagine someone taking 6 shots from a OAP, but I did manage a draw against the 240 yard whippersnapper 22 handicapper.:whoo:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Handicaps are flawed
Shots should be given on the basis of height - scratch is at 7ft, and then it is one shot for every inch under that height

Tall people get all the advantage of unfair additional leverage, and you can see over the top of hazards better

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't see why people should moan about playing off full handicap. In the group final of the Nike I received 12 shots from a 5 handicapper, I played below my handicap but got beat on the 18th.
Similarly just this week I played a winter league match and this time I gave 13 shots over 12 holes, I won 5&3.

Handicaps are tere to provide a level playing field so that players of all standards can play together.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't see why people should moan about playing off full handicap. In the group final of the Nike I received 12 shots from a 5 handicapper, I played below my handicap but got beat on the 18th.
Similarly just this week I played a winter league match and this time I gave 13 shots over 12 holes, I won 5&3.

Handicaps are tere to provide a level playing field so that players of all standards can play together.

No, they are there so that all standards can play together, but NOT to provide a level playing field

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Handicap system is what it is, it'll probably change in some way in the years to come just as it has in years gone by

Would I stop playing golf if tomorrow the max handicap was 12 or if all competitive games were off 3/4, 1/2 or 1/3 h/caps? Not a chance!

It would just require an attitude adjustment

From everyone's personal perspective the system has its downside and plus points (mostly depending on who you draw & what format of the game you're about to play)

Not a fan of 3/4 as it suggests that its required to act as compensation for a known flaw in the system, well if its flawed fix it! otherwise it then seems we have a workaround for the flaw (3/4) but I'm not entirely sure that its use is specific & restricted in terms of when/where it can be invoked

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a singles matchplay once against against 9hc and it was full difference So I gave him 6 shots. It was a relatively close game but he beat me 2up, but on the SI 1 hole 13th 435yds he is in the trees, I'm on the fairway, he chips out, then he's 25ft away in 3, I'm 3ft away in 2. He knocks his in for par nett birdie, and I had to hole mine for half. So what's this leading to, I looked at the card after our match and decided to go thru the scores for both players and give each player their full amount of shots on the SI's, he gets 1-9, I get 1-3. So as you can see I would of won the SI 1 13th instead of a half, but conversely I noticed that he boogied the SI 9 and I parred it, so he would of had a half instead of losing the hole. The interesting thing was that going thru with the full amount of shots for both, we would of been heading down the 19th for sudden death, instead of sitting in the 19th having a beer?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Handicaps are there because people like to be rewarded for average golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

Handicaps are there because people like to be rewarded for average golf.

Handicaps are there to create a unique situation well everyone can play against each other regardless of ability